Is the World Flat??

More
4 years 8 months ago #341332 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Is the World Flat??

Proteus wrote: I'm interested in these professionals who have this belief, mainly because the modern day movement of flat earthers is proven to be a result of failures in the education system. Flat earth beliefs are known to be derived from a fundamental lack of understanding in basic physics and math, resulting in the person not being able to explain a basic phenomenon. Combined with the Dunning-Krueger effect this results in them not being able to recognize their own ignorance, much less be willing to accept it, and instead redirect their focus on conspiracies to say some authority has lied to the world in some way.

Love it. I agree 100%.

The idea of the flat earth offends me, intellectually. The reality is that the main basis for the belief is a DISBELIEF in the government and in scientific community. Believing in the Flat Earth theory means that you believe in the CONSPIRACY to trick the whole world, not just one country, into believing the earth is round. All footage from space, satellite dishes, etc. must all be lies. We must be launching extra satellites for no reason because if the earth was flat then there would be line of sight to every satellite in orbit. So we would have to be spending millions upon millions of dollars putting absolutely redundant communications equipment in space just to uphold an illusion that no one actually benefits from.

It is intellectually offensive to me.

And in order to support this theory they have to reject other theories as well, such as Gravity. As a person who uses logic professionally this makes me mad. This guy took a toy airplane and a globe and asked why when the airplane goes over the equator, why it isn't upside down. I mean... what? WHAT??! And I'm supposed to believe this guy is an example of intelligent life on Earth? People in ancient civilizations even knew the earth was round. Look out the window of an airplane? Are you serious?

I'm very good at keeping my cool but this topic triggers me, lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341334 by
Replied by on topic Is the World Flat??

Gisteron wrote: It really isn't important what anyone in particular thinks of them. The evidence on the shape and age of the earth and the most parsimonious descriptions of its position in the solar system or how its climate has been developing in recent decades (I didn't bring up the man-made bit anyway) is not ambiguous. It's not a matter of whether you or I find some models to be garbage or not, it's whether or not the predictions they yield match observation, and some of them predict observations pretty much all of the time, while the others contradict observations almost all of the time. It doesn't matter who rises up to a pulpit to preach their opinion or what that opinion is. That's all I was saying.

Now, granted, none of it is a matter of mathematical certainty either. We "only" know that earth isn't flat about as well as we can know anything at all about it. That may be a fair nitpick in philosophical discussions, but a petty one in scientific ones (not to say that this is where you were going with the "unlikely" bit, but still). No synthetic claim can be evaluated with analytic absoluteness. And no such absoluteness is being claimed. We are only as certain as we can dare to be about anything. The jury isn't out, the verdict is made. In some logically possible world it may turn out to be a false one after all, but until we can visit said world or confirm that it is our own, we are rationally justified to take account of the earth's curvature when we build bridges or fly rockets and we would be positively irrational to neglect it for such applications.

Look further into bridge building. You may be surprised what you find, same with long range ballistics calculation... and flight.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #341337 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Is the World Flat??
How about you enlighten me instead? I have actually performed these calculations and programmed (admittedly crude) simulations to test my computations, too. I have done my homework. I won't do yours. I'm not the one with the ridiculous claims here or with any compulsion at all to "look further into" unnamed sources every reality denier and their dog ominously refer to when ever raising challenges to issues settled centuries ago. You can do it all day, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to refer to credible sources of any description, at least cite them, will you...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Gisteron.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341340 by

Gisteron wrote: How about you enlighten me instead? I have actually performed these calculations and programmed (admittedly crude) simulations to test my computations, too. I have done my homework. I won't do yours. I'm not the one with the ridiculous claims here or with any compulsion at all to "look further into" unnamed sources every reality denier and their dog ominously refer to when ever raising challenges to issues settled centuries ago. You can do it all day, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to refer to credible sources of any description, at least cite them, will you...

No, since I am not agreeing with the claim that the world is flat. I simply recommended you do some research if you care to know more.

More
4 years 8 months ago #341341 by Gisteron
Yea, well, feel free to direct me places where you expect I might learn something new and vital to this discussion. I really have no patience for this "educate yourself, pooplord" type of bait, assuming that the interlocutor is seeing the internet for the first time. I'm sure once you have something to say on the issue, you will, and I'm looking forward to that moment. Cheers! ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #341345 by

Gisteron wrote: Yea, well, feel free to direct me places where you expect I might learn something new and vital to this discussion. I really have no patience for this "educate yourself, pooplord" type of bait, assuming that the interlocutor is seeing the internet for the first time. I'm sure once you have something to say on the issue, you will, and I'm looking forward to that moment. Cheers! ;)

What exactly is a pooplord? Beyond that, what exactly are you asking for? I just may be your huckleberry.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by .

More
4 years 8 months ago #341347 by Gisteron

VixensVengeance wrote:

Gisteron wrote: ... feel free to direct me places where you expect I might learn something new and vital to this discussion... I'm sure once you have something to say on the issue, you will, and I'm looking forward to that moment.

... what exactly are you asking for?

What exactly is the part of your question not answered by the very post you quote above it?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341348 by

Gisteron wrote:

VixensVengeance wrote:

Gisteron wrote: ... feel free to direct me places where you expect I might learn something new and vital to this discussion... I'm sure once you have something to say on the issue, you will, and I'm looking forward to that moment.

... what exactly are you asking for?

What exactly is the part of your question not answered by the very post you quote above it?

Ahh, you never told me what a pooplord was! I have you, my friend! Really just kidding, I assume you believe the world is round, correct? And I assume you believe (as in accept, based on evidence) that we are not sure what the shape of the universe is but current evidence theory shows that it is flat. However that is subject to change, which you will accept, given new evidence that could possibly be backed up by mathematics and/or other verifiable evidence.

So given this, I wonder why you come here to harass my friend, when she counters your comments?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341351 by
I see that there are very few things we really know about our world, as much as we like to think we do. Old theories get replaced with newer ones that make sense and overall there are very few things we are certain of. Who can say really? I do think it's more likely round that flat shaped and listened to both arguments.

I do however think NASA is hiding things as they had talked about NASA making up lies about Earth being round when flat earthers say it's all a lie and a distraction. Perhaps but not likely. I am convinced however they among many groups in the world ARE hiding LOTS of information from the public. Like, world changing stuff, aliens, ancient technology, civilizations that were thought to have been myths ect. It would not be to their advantage to tell people the truth.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341354 by
Why is it not to their advantage?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi