• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #341265 by
Is the World Flat?? was created by
Hello,

Source: https://www.space.com/24309-shape-of-the-universe.html

Christians favorite past time is falsely reminding everyone how ignorant we are. The flat earth theory suggested by Christians about what their ancestors believed is that the Earth itself was flat, disc or even a bowl shape while others said it was a ball. Christians mocked the sailors as they said they believed they would fall off the edge of the world if they crossed the horizon. Which never happened because sailors they would never see the edge of the horizon.

Fast forward a little and humans are asking ourselves what shape the universe is? Is it flat, round, cylinder or saddle shaped or none of the above? I like to say this to those mocking their ancestors with the flat earth theory. Because we are in the same position as them unsure of the shape of the universe, our ancestors had experiments to measure the shape of the world and we ourselves have experiments to measure the shape of the universe. But because we don't know, we don't descend into anarchy or have stupid beliefs like headless chickens we still have logic and reason and science like our ancestors.

Despite what the evidence suggests i have beliefs about the shape of the universe. While scientists can say the galaxy is a flat disk, our galaxy it is far from being flat. I like to think the universe which scientists say is a 'flat' like a galaxy. However I believe that while we can see 'the visible universe' is measured as flat. The actual shape of the universe (like sailors on the Globe) the horizon might be just be yet more galaxies on a ball shaped universe and drifting away like tectonic plates on the ball. So in my belief the universe currently has more evidence it is flat, but that doesn't mean it is not a ball...

So what do you think? What is the shape of the universe?

Thanks
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #341266 by
Replied by on topic Is the World Flat??
Why are you are asking people to speculate on something that you clearly state there is not enough evidence either way to define?

The only answer to this question can be "I dont know".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #341267 by
Ah... the flat world and universe. What is it those people say? “We don’t live on a cartoon ball”. Credit to them, they aren’t likely to be wrong about that. What they are likely wrong about is the world being a giant disk, surrounded by a massive wall of ice, covered by a glassy dome.

Personally, I don’t feel the need to limit my world with edges. If it’s a plane, I consider it practically infinite and if it’s a sphere, it’s far larger than the cartoons show. My view of the universe is no different.

However, this all aside, I simply don’t know. I’ve never seen the world from space and I’ve not seen the ends of the universe. Therefore, I simply don’t know. If I need to get through the day, I simply accept what I see, call it a realm and carry on with life.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #341268 by
Hey,

:dry:

It's funny that the same question of what happens at the edge of universe. Like those sailors who couldn't answer the question of the what happens at the edge of the Earth. Compelling people to circumnavigate the globe. Scientists believe the universe is flat...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #341269 by

Ariane wrote: Hey,

Well its question the same proposed as the 'flat earth theory'. Instead this time it is the Flat Universe Theory... the universe can either have an edge or no edge. A disc would have an edge or boundary. It is very difficult to state what would happen at the edge of such a universe? Like the Christians would ask sailors about the edge of the Earth...

MOST ancient peoples understood the world to be flat, just letting you know.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #341270 by
Thanks for your reply

The ancient Egyptians thought the Earth was a cube, but the ancient Greeks were sure that it was a sphere. Ancient Greek mathematicians, astrologers and philosophers had a number of scientific theories to support their idea that the world is round.

Example: "That ships disappear over the horizon from the bottom upward. Rather from the top down or getting ever smaller proving that the Earth was curved".

Example: "The shadow of the Earth on the moon was a circle and can only be a sphere which casts a circle shadow, As a disk may cast a more elliptical shadow".

Example: "The shadow of a ditch would vary in shape as the sun hit the wall of the ditch. Digging more ditches you can work out that the ground has curvature".

There were many Greeks who were sure Earth was a ball but we are in same position as the ancient Greeks were, today.

The Flat Earth

One reason that the ancient Greek knowledge of a spherical Earth was dismissed for some time, is that in the fifth century, Christian monks wanted the earth to fit into their religious descriptions and the destruction, suppression of knowledge happened.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #341271 by

Ariane wrote: Thanks for your reply

The ancient Egyptians thought the Earth was a cube, but the ancient Greeks were sure that it was a sphere. Ancient Greek mathematicians, astrologers and philosophers had a number of scientific theories to support their idea that the world is round.

Example: "That ships disappear over the horizon from the bottom upward. Rather from the top down or getting ever smaller proving that the Earth was curved".

Example: "The shadow of the Earth on the moon was a circle and can only be a sphere which casts a circle shadow, As a disk may cast a more elliptical shadow".

Example: "The shadow of a ditch would vary in shape as the sun hit the wall of the ditch. Digging more ditches you can work out that the ground has curvature".

There were many Greeks who were sure Earth was a ball but we are in same position as the ancient Greeks were, today.

The Flat Earth

One reason that the ancient Greek knowledge of a spherical Earth was dismissed for some time, is that in the fifth century, Christian monks wanted the earth to fit into their religious descriptions and the destruction, suppression of knowledge happened.

Nice propaganda there...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #341272 by
Anyway sorry if that is offensive it appears anti-christian which i am not, but people believing the flat earth thing is a modern myth.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #341273 by

Ariane wrote: Thanks for your reply

The Flat Earth

Um... I'm not prepared to dispute your sources, but I don't think that bit about the Egyptians is true, just on the grounds that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The Egyptians had frequent contact with the Greeks, and if such a view ever was held, it was likely long before the time of regular interactions from across the sea (it's also well known that they were recognized as an advanced civilization, with knowledge at least equal to that of the Greeks).

I'm not aware of ANY ancient civilization believing the earth to be flat...

I know America's convinced they did, but we like to believe ancient people were dumb as rocks, anyway. The start of all this seems to be traceable to the myth of Columbus trying to prove the earth was round ( he set sail the same year some people started creating globes, of the earth). But, some guy wrote a book that people mistook for a biography, and we've been sharing the myth ever since.

And here's a good video

https://youtu.be/2gFsOoKAHZg

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 7 months ago #341274 by
Thanks Kelrax Lorcken

I will look at that video, but yeah maybe the Egyptian Earth cube thing is a little hard to believe.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi