[Double post]
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341276 by
Replied by on topic Is the World Flat??

Ariane wrote: Scientists believe the universe is flat...

LMAO...ok?? so why are you asking us?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341278 by

Ariane wrote: Anyway sorry if that is offensive it appears anti-christian which i am not, but people believing the flat earth thing is a modern myth.

Uh... no it’s not. There actually are people who believe the world is flat in 2019. No, I’m not speaking of trolls or those just in it for a lark. Try engineers, teachers, pilots, and plenty of other professionals. I’m not saying they are right, just that they do indeed exist and they have sound arguments for many of their claims. However, sound arguments exist for some truly bizarre things. So...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341279 by

Kelrax Lorcken wrote:
I'm not aware of ANY ancient civilization believing the earth to be flat...

I suggest you do some research then. No, watching YouTube videos doesn’t count.

More
4 years 8 months ago #341282 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Is the World Flat??

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

Kelrax Lorcken wrote:

may I ask why does it not count? Particularly if the video contains sources it's simply a second or third hand source no different than most historical sources.

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341283 by

Kelrax Lorcken wrote: I'm not aware of ANY ancient civilization believing the earth to be flat...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

More
4 years 8 months ago #341284 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Is the World Flat??

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

Ariane wrote: Anyway sorry if that is offensive it appears anti-christian which i am not, but people believing the flat earth thing is a modern myth.

Uh... no it’s not. There actually are people who believe the world is flat in 2019. No, I’m not speaking of trolls or those just in it for a lark. Try engineers, teachers, pilots, and plenty of other professionals. I’m not saying they are right, just that they do indeed exist and they have sound arguments for many of their claims. However, sound arguments exist for some truly bizarre things. So...

I'm interested in these professionals who have this belief, mainly because the modern day movement of flat earthers is proven to be a result of failures in the education system. Flat earth beliefs are known to be derived from a fundamental lack of understanding in basic physics and math, resulting in the person not being able to explain a basic phenomenon. Combined with the Dunning-Krueger effect this results in them not being able to recognize their own ignorance, much less be willing to accept it, and instead redirect their focus on conspiracies to say some authority has lied to the world in some way.

So I would be very interested to meet an engineer or a teacher who believes the earth is flat, as I am curious how they gained the credentials to go into these fields with said lack of fundamental education. O.o

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZealotX

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341285 by

Proteus wrote:

Phoenix Vidensia wrote: [

I'm interested in these professionals who have this belief, mainly because the modern day movement of flat earthers is proven to be a result of failures in the education system. Flat earth beliefs are known to be derived from a fundamental lack of understanding in basic physics and math, resulting in the person not being able to explain a basic phenomenon. Combined with the Dunning-Krueger effect this results in them not being able to recognize their own ignorance, much less be willing to accept it, and instead redirect their focus on conspiracies to say some authority has lied to the world in some way.

So I would be very interested to meet an engineer or a teacher who believes the earth is flat, as I am curious how they gained the credentials to go into these fields with said lack of fundamental education. O.o

I wonder if they'd be interested in meeting you...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 8 months ago #341286 by

Kobos wrote:

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

Kelrax Lorcken wrote:

may I ask why does it not count? Particularly if the video contains sources it's simply a second or third hand source no different than most historical sources.

Kobos

First, it's lazy. Second, most of it is infotainment. Third, do you actually check the sources for these videos?

More
4 years 8 months ago #341287 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Is the World Flat??
Understandable reasoning, I do tend to on things I am researching or looking into more than a casual glance. It is part of confirming information for me. But in presenting that information to someone else "infotainment" as you put it may be more effective for them as opposed to how I process information and research into writing. Laziness in this sense is in the eye of the beholder, not everyone enjoys digging through documents and text books like I do.

Kobos

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi