Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #119594 by steamboat28
...ohitisON!

*makes lightsaber noises*

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #119595 by Adder
I think I read recently they can capture photons in crystal - trapping them for later release. So perhaps having a crystal in your hilt will be like a battery - full of trapped light which are then released and turned into photon molecules (see above) which are somehow kept in a neat and tidy blade shape. Turning the blade off collapses the blade and they rush back through a splitting gate where they are stored in the crystal (written into sectors) for next time!! Leaving the normal power source to run the lasers and other electronics. Sounds easy enough!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Adder.

More
10 years 7 months ago #119598 by steamboat28
The way I read it, it wouldn't be nearly so compact--it would require multiple cooling lasers, a gas "emitter" for the argon(?) cloud, and a centrally located photon emitter. But, that's still something that could, in theory, be worked into a small space. Especially if you find a way to reuse the gas cloud, or generate one instead of supplying it via tank.

My understanding on the crystal thing was that they assumed it was one of the ways to express this new state of matter--by making shapes. In such a case, one wouldn't be limited to traditional lightsaber blade shapes...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #119601 by
wait till the flat earth society get's the word

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #119631 by
From what I read in the article, it doesn't seem likely that anything resembling a lightsaber will exist in our lifetimes. After all, they're dealing with single photons, not the millions that would be required to create a "blade".

Still, it's a step in the right direction, and like most Star Wars fans it got me excited too ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #119653 by
Wouldn't it be dangerous though? not only will it take many years to perfect it so the hilt doesn't explode or the blade doesn't blind you etc.... but once that technology is out there, who knows what sort of hand this weapon can get into. just a thought, but it would be awesome!!!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #119659 by
Its not as if I would seriously use such a thing as a weapon. A Lightsaber would be the epitome of unsafe.

I do think it would make the chainsaw obsolete though, and as a tool for such work, it would be great.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #119662 by
Lets just say I am thrilled, because if they do manage to create such a thing that is actually useable, I could then carry it while in military uniform, because it would be considered a religious artifact. I could go for that!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi