Gisteron and Khaos, (and everyone else..:)..)

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 7 months ago #153970 by Jestor
Gisteron or Khaos...

Have you ever seen anything "pretty" or "beautiful"?

If so, how did you know?

Everyone is really welcome, but, I am targeting them specifically for an answer...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago #153998 by Jestor
Bump...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154002 by
Sorry, threads move very, very fast here.

I cannot keep up and didnt see this.

Yes to the first, though it seems more rhetorical in any case.

Now, on to the second, would you like the long answer? Or the short?

The short would be neuro biology.

The long will be very scientific, some simple, and some not, and no, I dont even understand all of it yet, so any further questioning in some instances will require your own independent research in those areas from people much more intelligent than me.

I can only answer so far as I have worked through this myself.

However, the limits of my ignorance does not mean that there is ignorance of the subject.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago #154004 by Jestor

Khaos wrote: Sorry, threads move very, very fast here.

I cannot keep up and didnt see this.

lol, no apologies necessary...:)

I understand how fast they go, lol...:)

I see forums here you cannot, and when they are added in, sometimes I miss quite a bit, lol...

Khaos wrote: Yes to the first, though it seems more rhetorical in any case.

Well, I probably shouldn't assume..;)

Now, on to the second, would you like the long answer? Or the short?

The short would be neuro biology.

The long will be very scientific, some simple, and some not, and no, I dont even understand all of it yet, so any further questioning in some instances will require your own independent research in those areas from people much more intelligent than me.

I can only answer so far as I have worked through this myself.

However, the limits of my ignorance does not mean that there is ignorance of the subject.

I understand that...:)

I will take whatever you feel comfortable explaining...:)

Neurobiology, the study of the nervous system...

Sure...

So the study of the nervous system, is how you know you've seen something pretty, right?

I'm waving my hand, I'm not looking for "the answer", I am merely looking for as much as you know...

Tell me, please, what was it that you saw?

A painting? A person?

If its not too personal...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154005 by Brenna
I think it was Mozart who said that when music is no longer pleasing to the ear, it ceases to be music.

I love music. Most kinds. Everything from Mozart to ACDC pleases my ear.

My brother has a fondness for System of a Down, which does NOT please my ears.

Its music to him though. And he finds their music meaningful to him.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor,

More
9 years 7 months ago #154007 by Gisteron
To keep with Brenna's analogy, however, its still noise. There is still something going on.
Now, I am going to be a little presumptuous, if I may, and assume that Jestor is trying to find a tint of hypocricy in Khaos and myself where we would make assertions about what is beautiful and what isn't with our only basis being a subjective evaluation.
Of course beauty can be traced down to neurobiology, to some extent. After all, there is a reason why some frequency ratios (to keep with the sounds and music example) are pleasing to us, while the vast majority of them (an uncountable infinity) of them are not even on the chart of possible note intervals (which are a countable infinity). In that case at least there is a fair case to be made that things like ocean waves aren't music, and I have yet to hear a case in favour of that that would actually take music theory, much less any degree of neuroanatomy into account.
But then most of the final evaluations are personal and subjective. So aside from those few general principles on which we can say something is not beautiful (i.e. by any remotely established standard of beauty), we would have to resort to or mean that we find something pretty or not, rather than it actually being either.

Anyway, I'm seeing how I'm not getting to my point here, so let me jump ahead a little.
There is a difference between matters of fact and matters of perception. The difference is indeed so vast, that most languages even have different ways of forming statements in each, if one makes the effort to use language appropriately. There is a difference between judging (qualitative evaluation) and describing (quantitative evaluation). A description must correlate to an actual thing, a value judgement is a map of that thing with your personality being the function. Feeling healthy and feeling that you are healthy aren't the same thing. One is a feeling that you are having in your condition whatever it may be, the other is a hunch about what your condition actually is.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 7 months ago #154008 by Brenna

Gisteron wrote: Now, I am going to be a little presumptuous, if I may, and assume that Jestor is trying to find a tint of hypocricy in Khaos and myself where we would make assertions about what is beautiful and what isn't with our only basis being a subjective evaluation.

Thats not what I saw in this thread at all. But hes obviously going somewhere with this, so Ill leave him to it :D

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
9 years 7 months ago #154010 by Adder
Things which harmonize our soul by energizing those parts of our minds that need it (to be balanced, engaged and uplifted). In the broadest sense the concept of 'light', but in practical terms of function it needs to be expressed in form's which can be contextualized against our lives so they influence or even transform how we exist.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Llama Su

More
9 years 7 months ago #154013 by Proteus
Pretty... beautiful...

Values that seem more or less set by conditioning, whether social and/or genetic, and based on patterns or frequencies (of sound, light, etc) that we consciously or subconsciously find a unique relation to or an awe inspiring mystery toward, and thus, establish a personal connection with. The conditions tend to be dynamic, set by factors such as current mood (or frame of mind) and the surrounding environment at hand which we find a matching compliment with or a clashing difference against.

In a less "logical" and more "poetic" language I'd also simply say...

Beautiful is seen when it is my true self which I can see and accept within it. Ugliness is seen when I see something which is myself that I cannot recognize at all or would rather not accept. Both however are still myself. The difference is, beauty is what I can see without my ego in the way, and ugliness is what I cannot see because it is.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Llama Su

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154019 by
My son. He was born, and I saw he was beautiful and perfect, and thought that I was done procreating. It would not get better than this. And yes I am biased. But he is and always will be beautiful to me.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi