Gisteron and Khaos, (and everyone else..:)..)

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #154020 by Jestor
lol...

This one time, I was trying to have a conversation, and, I ask a question....

The person I was talking with would come up with all sorts of reasons why I ask a questions, and from one question, come up with several answers to cover any contingencies, lol...

I feel you did that Gisteron... lol...

Did you even answer my question, or did you answer every question I didn't ask?

:lol:...

As happened in Scott's thread, a little side tracking happened, which is fine, but, I ask a simple question, lol....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154022 by steamboat28
i want a thread with my name on it. :dry:

also, it's perfectly possible to live in an objective universe and still have subjective opinions, like beauty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Llama Su

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 8 months ago #154026 by Jestor

steamboat28 wrote:
also, it's perfectly possible to live in an objective universe and still have subjective opinions, like beauty.

Was it said otherwise?

:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154070 by
I believe the point of this was to come to an agreement that beauty is dependent upon the individual, thus tying into another thread about subjective thought. (The 'Why I believe in god(s)' thread, I think, along with some others.)

I find beauty in a lot of things, from the fickle beauty standards of magazines and fashion, to the way the wind caresses a pond, playing with the ripples it creates. I find beauty in the character and in idiosyncrasies of people. I find beauty in someone comfortable in their own skin, as well as someone who isn't and strives to make their dream a reality. From the extraordinary to the mundane, there is beauty to be found. That's my perspective. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #154072 by
I have no problem admitting that the triggers are subjetive.

Only so subjective though, as all things considered beautiful or pretty, even the most taboo, is not limited to one individual

Thats nowhere in the question though.

The question was whether or not I had seen something pretty.

The next was how.

The trigger, which is could be anything, is not how you know something is pretty, or beautiful though.

Thats just what triggered such a thought in your head.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
9 years 8 months ago #154081 by Jestor
That is why you are a favorite of mine Khaos...

Well, that and your obvious good taste in avatars, lol...

YOu are living an experiment, and you are not (at least vocally) trying to see into the future...

You are paying attention to the NOW, and simply answered what was ask of you...

My next question is:

If you saw "beautiful/pretty", and know it as such...

How did you know?

You responded with "neurobiology", well, that would explain it, sure (for you, I am not necessarily in agreement)... But you dont understand all there is to give me the reason... Oh, neurons fired, making you feel "this way" or "that way", so, you chalk it up to science (biology) and that answer is good enough.... "Greater minds", or they are still searching for an answer to that, not having found the trigger, biologically...

YOu chalk it up, to science you have not proven for yourself... On the work you have not tested, or verified, and only trust that those who did the work, and those who verified the work, did it in a way that made sense to you... That they covered every nuance of it, and didnt miss a step...

Trust in people, that you dont know...

But, that doesnt explain how "this" is "beautiful" and "that" is not to you...

Preference, or perspective, or a bunch of other words that someone else can use to correct me, selective choices, and personal taste, lol, whatever...

SO, you cant explain to me how you know... But you do... right?

(Quizzical tone, not smart alec-y...:)..)

You know, even though you cannot explain it...

Yes?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

The following user(s) said Thank You: , Llama Su

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154083 by

Khaos wrote: Thats nowhere in the question though.

The question was whether or not I had seen something pretty.

Mmm... true. I jump ahead of myself, at times, because I move past what's asked and go into other avenues of thought.

So, my own participation in this, though not specifically called for, is as so: I speculate, or come to the conclusion, that I think things are pretty or beautiful because of experiences that gave me positive feelings. I find disgust in things that gave me negative feelings. That's not to say that these things couldn't swap places in future experiences, because things that I used to find ugly or obscene are now marvelous, somehow. I choose to see beauty in things based on a particular aspect that I find pleasant. It could be caused by triggers, as you mentioned, created in my earlier experiences. But, as I grow in my walk with the Force, I've been examining every thought and feeling to try and understand why I feel these things. It hasn't been easy, though. Being mindful during a time of complacency is difficult when distractions come my way. There are obviously things that I need to think more about.

Thanks, Jestor... :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi