Assigning the Deity

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #145177 by
Replied by on topic Assigning the Deity

Connor L. wrote: I got your point. You're still making assumptions. Which, is assigning the deity.

But take a religion such as Islam, Muhammad's decisions are thought of as being directly inspired by God. In these cases interpretations for modern times are also seen as binding. An example might be someone stealing a cart, but nowadays people steal cars etc, the Qur'an and whichever Hadith is prominent is consulted to determine the correct course of action.

The assigning the deity argument really just boils down to the extent to which you can justify your opinion etc...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #145201 by

The assigning the deity argument really just boils down to the extent to which you can justify your opinion etc...

That's exactly right. My assertion is that you can never justify your opinion using religious sources.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 23 hours ago #145260 by

Connor L. wrote:

That's exactly right. My assertion is that you can never justify your opinion using religious sources.

Indeed, but my point was that in some circles it is perfectly possible to do so and they have no issue against it.

When it really matters is when they try to justify it outside of their group...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 23 hours ago #145264 by
I know it happens, and it's perfectly ok to do so. Unfortunately, I think they're wrong. hahaha. :evil:

If I was a Christian, I would never assume anything about Christ. I would indeed look to the source material to find guidelines, but I wouldn't go so far to say: "oh, this thing I'm doing... it's justified by this passage: __". I would think it's healthier to live the life emulating the teachings... but not to morally justify them. That way, if you are less than perfect, you are still beautiful and potent.

More
10 years 22 hours ago #145267 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Assigning the Deity

Connor L. wrote:

I disagree rather completely. It's no different than justifying your opinion using other sources you didn't author.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Zenchi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 21 hours ago - 10 years 21 hours ago #145272 by
Not really... But, ok.
Last edit: 10 years 21 hours ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 21 hours ago #145273 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Connor L. wrote:

I disagree rather completely. It's no different than justifying your opinion using other sources you didn't author.

Appealing to divine authority is a very specific form of the more general 'using other sources you didn't author' so it isn't quite the same. Think of the difference between moral views and scientific views, both use sources other than your own but they are very different.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi