Assigning the Deity

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #144989 by
Assigning the Deity was created by
Do you project your wants and desires into your interpretation of the Deity?

Do you say it's the Will of the Force when you lose something, but claim credit when you win?

Do you think it's ok to say: "Jesus would not approve", when you aren't Jesus?

Do you believe that the world revolves around your tiny, insignificant perspective?

I have found myself guilty of "assigning" the Deity, meaning that I interpret the divine so that it fits my morality, my views. Some will often use God as a scapegoat for a moral argument: "You shouldn't steal because it's against Christianity". Or, some will say that Jesus is Lord... but only for rich white men (and their wives).

This is a problem. If you find yourself doing this, as I often do, think about what you're doing. It's immoral. It's dumb. It's creating your own totalitarian ideology.

Instead, have reverence for the Divine, and don't force your own ideas into your interpretation.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145048 by
Replied by on topic Assigning the Deity

Connor L. wrote: Instead, have reverence for the Divine, and don't force your own ideas into your interpretation.

Indeed! To answer your questions...

Do you project your wants and desires into your interpretation of the Deity?

If I understand this question properly, I no longer think of the Force/God as wanting anything. The Force IS Everything. It cannot lack anything, and so has no desires, no Will. The suchness of things are their own reason.

Do you say it's the Will of the Force when you lose something, but claim credit when you win?

Part of this I answered above. But I find it difficult to take credit for anything. After all, if I am good at something, it isn't as if made this so (or did I? That's a deeper questions). Again, the Force IS Everything. It is us and all our actions, all that we know, all that we create, all that we say. Credit must go to the Force.

Do you think it's ok to say: "Jesus would not approve", when you aren't Jesus?

I think Jesus loves us no matter what we do. "Approval" is a human concept. I don't think God takes that into consideration the way we do.

Do you believe that the world revolves around your tiny, insignificant perspective?

Haha! Oh hell no. But I know many people who do. My "perspective" is... perhaps an illusion. I think the world (physical and spiritual) is far greater than any human has ever imagined, least of all my own imagining.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145051 by

Connor L. wrote:

I believe that MY world does revolve around my "tiny, insignificant perspective".

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145052 by
We can create a rational for every perspective. :whistle:

More
9 years 11 months ago #145069 by J. K. Barger
Replied by J. K. Barger on topic Assigning the Deity

Connor L. wrote: We can create a rational for every perspective. :whistle:

Is this is a perspective? :woohoo:

The Force is with you, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145124 by
In fact, it is! :laugh: There is no escape!

More
9 years 11 months ago #145128 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Assigning the Deity

Connor L. wrote: Do you think it's ok to say: "Jesus would not approve", when you aren't Jesus?

Yes. I have this nifty little book of His teachings that tells me what He would and wouldn't approve of. Handy, that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145132 by
:dry: Too bad we don't know enough about the Bible to make that call.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #145136 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Assigning the Deity

Connor L. wrote: :dry: Too bad we don't know enough about the Bible to make that call.

The point is that your deity either exists in a form you can verify, or does not. If your deity does exist in a form you can verify, then you can speak for them rather clearly, as you would be able to learn about their personality. If your deity does not exist in a form you can verify, then you have to take what you can of that deity's personality from the tales woven around them, which will (again) lead you to a pretty thorough understanding of said deity.

The first instance is like ordering for your friend at a coffee or ice cream shop. The second is the same as explaining how a fictional character would act in a situation that isn't directly presented by the writers. Both are done on a daily basis with an alarming degree of accuracy.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by steamboat28.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 11 months ago #145160 by
I got your point. You're still making assumptions. Which, is assigning the deity.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi