Psychoactive Substances

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60007 by
Replied by on topic Re: Psychoactive Substances
There have been many groups, faiths and paths over the past 4000 years that have used marijuana in a sacred context. For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_spiritual_use_of_cannabis

Alcohol is also used as a sacred tool by some, such as the curandero in Peru. As I mentioned above, the problem is not with the plant/substance itself but with the context and intention with which it is used. In the same way, communion wine is used by Catholics in a sacred context to bring them closer to their spirituality by representing the blood of Christ (or the belief that through method of transubstantiation it actually becomes that blood). Getting drunk on wine with your mates - not so spiritual.

Besides, what's so bad about something that "effects your mind and alters your perception of the world". Meditation does that too. All such tools can be used for a spiritual purpose, or abused for fun. If someone just wants to get trolleyed, that's stupid and disrespectful.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60011 by
I think that's right, the way in which you do something does determine whether or not you have a religious experience. I would say though, that everyone has a different reaction to different drugs, I know people who can't drink alcohol for example.

For me personally, when I take drugs, specifically marijuana, I feel it drains me as a person. I do not feel as though I act in a way which is true to my real self, on an extremely basic level I might buy loads of food when I get the munchies. What's more I've found that taking drugs leads to lying and a detoriation in relationships with friends and family and at this moment in time I feel as though, as a result of taking drugs very rarely, I have a better, more honest relationship with my family and the people I am close with, I am close with because of a bond we share as people, we don't get together just to take drugs.

I do accept though, that the environment I have taken drugs in was never a spiritual one, and that I have not treated drugs as sacred, it has always been for a bit of fun, or even worse, to forget out my problems. Saying that though, I don't see how it could have any difference. Although perhaps the experience of the high would be very different, the physical and mental effects still remain, ie. if I smoked dope every day I would be very lazy and have a very bad short term memory, even if I was smoking it to achieve some sort of enlightenment.

I'd like to put forward another question though. At the moment I take drugs on rare occasions and in an environment where I am with only close friends. In the past I have found that some drugs can really bring you closer together with friends, you become more open and are more willing to express your feelings towards them? If what you say is really true, is that not a good thing, as it can only enhance your relationship with that person(s)?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #60013 by
Again, that depends on what your intent is. If you are using something in order to form a close, positive bond with people that you care about, then that may well be a good thing and could even be said to be a "spiritual pursuit".

As for your comment that regular use would have a negative effect, again I agree. Having a deeply mystical and spiritually-enlightening experience every day might not be good for you either! With most things, appropriate moderation is usually the best advice.

Having said that, ayahuasceros (for example) will consume and commune with the spirit of ayahuasca on a regular basis, usually several times a week. But only for healing (themselves or others) or to facilitate work that benefits the community, such as divination. It would never be used just for the thrill of it.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by .

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #60014 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Psychoactive Substances
I see it all as another tool, good at something but hopeless at everything else. I dont think humanity is mature enough yet for it to be as available as alcohol - though I think it perhaps should be.

I was reading something yesterday about optogenetics , and I predict in the mid term future people will be able to inject themselves with a one time virus which will cause designed genetic mutation in specific brain neurons that trigger specific neurochemical changes when exposed to specific sub-cranial light - in effect having a fibre optic port/jack installed into their skull so that all they need to do to get 'high' is shine the correct frequancy of light into the 'jack'.

Shine the light baby!!! Where is William Gibson when you need him B)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60015 by
This has been a good thread to watch and most of what I believe has been said.

I would only like to make the point that drugs, alcohol(moon shine types), and other illegal substances became that way in order to preserve a orderly society. It is not until the item has caused harm to someone other that the user that it becomes illegal. It also takes a toll on the financial aspects of living in a civilized society. As a public servant I have been on many calls where people exercising their "rights" have caused a strain on the local economy by theft, vagrancy, prostitution, etc.

I would also like to say it this way...

in order to live in a free and civilized society, we must give up some of our "rights" for the good of the "whole". At birth we are given a complete set of blocks (rights). These include the right to kill, steal, rape, use drugs, blow buildings up.

We freely give up these particular rights so that we may live peacefully and civilly. We all must agree or there can be no order. "There will be no unlimited editing on this site so that we may preserve the continuity of the thread" We as a organization agree by majority to do so. So we as a country agree by majority that certain items are illegal and must be outlawed to preserve the rights of all people in a civilized social order.

It is relatively easy to abide by these laws as it is easy to leave this country if you don't like the laws. If your rights are more important that the whole, your ego is in control of you and this selfishness leads to dark places.

More
11 years 11 months ago #60017 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Psychoactive Substances

Phortis Nespin wrote: This has been a good thread to watch and most of what I believe has been said.

I would only like to make the point that drugs, alcohol(moon shine types), and other illegal substances became that way in order to preserve a orderly society. It is not until the item has caused harm to someone other that the user that it becomes illegal. It also takes a toll on the financial aspects of living in a civilized society. As a public servant I have been on many calls where people exercising their "rights" have caused a strain on the local economy by theft, vagrancy, prostitution, etc.

I would also like to say it this way...

in order to live in a free and civilized society, we must give up some of our "rights" for the good of the "whole". At birth we are given a complete set of blocks (rights). These include the right to kill, steal, rape, use drugs, blow buildings up.

We freely give up these particular rights so that we may live peacefully and civilly. We all must agree or there can be no order. "There will be no unlimited editing on this site so that we may preserve the continuity of the thread" We as a organization agree by majority to do so. So we as a country agree by majority that certain items are illegal and must be outlawed to preserve the rights of all people in a civilized social order.

It is relatively easy to abide by these laws as it is easy to leave this country if you don't like the laws. If your rights are more important that the whole, your ego is in control of you and this selfishness leads to dark places.

This is pretty much exactly what I think, only worded much better than I would have managed :)

I do agree in principle that it is our right to decide what we put into our bodies.

However, if, as Phortis said, exercising that right has been proven to cause danger to others then something has to be done for the good of the society. If one wants to live in society they have to accept that measures will always be put in place to protect the members of that society, and in order for those measures to work, no member of that society can be considered to be above the rules.

I think that really it's about recognizing that although you (not anyone here in particular, just a hypothetical person) may not think that you will cause anyone harm, it is selfish and arrogant to consider it an impossibility. Better safe than sorry, as the saying goes.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Wescli Wardest

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60019 by
I didn't read many of the replies. But I want to say this. For a while now i've been refusing medication from nurses. I also have been asking my chineese doctor questions like "can chineese medicen be used to harm" he said "it depends on the purpose" Would you, if you were a mariguanna user, sit down with your worst enemy and light one up?

Also I read in the bagavad Gita something about how some people are mimicing the god Shiva, by smoking herbs and waring thier hair in thick braids. could this be refering to rastafarians?

More
11 years 11 months ago #60033 by Alethea Thompson

Nehushtan wrote: I respectfully disagree. Who are you or the government to tell me what to put in my body? By what right? Where in the Counstitution does it say that isn't a right?

When I can get to a computer I will go into more of what I want to say to others :), but for now this is the one I will address:

Who are you to mess with the lives of those who love you? Because that is what someone does every time they get involved with an illegal substance. Random scenario, just to illustrate the importance for a Jedi to NOT get high.

We'll take a scenario that could easily happen to anyone: You get high, a friend needs serious help RIGHT now because they just experienced a critical incident. This critical incident was "the straw that broke the camel's back". So your friend, in a final cry for help reaches out to you via phone before they decide to do something drastic (commit suicide). They call you because you are the only person that could possibly prove their life is worth living for. What do you do? How coherent are you to help your friend resolvve their problem?

Remember, it's not just your friend's Life that is being played with, but everyone that loves him/her which she/he may not even realize DOES care about them.

Will this happen? You don't know WHAT will happen, so why take the risk if you are going to be a legitimate Jedi? The government doesn't think the way I do, but if I had pushed for this bill, it would be for all those whose life could be ruined by proxy of their friends doing drugs. This isn't about you, it's about the whole.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #60034 by Br. John
Alcohol is legal but if someone chooses to relax with marijuana they're a criminal. That's based on science, reason and to protect society?

What the most dangerous drug? (Hint, it's legal.) http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/01/the-most-dangerous-drug

A new study in The Lancet rates the harmfulness of 20 psychoactive drugs according to 16 criteria and finds that alcohol comes out on top. Although that conclusion is generating headlines, it is not at all surprising, since alcohol is, by several important measures (including acute toxicity, impairment of driving ability, and the long-term health effects of heavy use), the most dangerous widely used intoxicant, and its abuse is also associated with violence, family breakdown, and social estrangement. A group of British drug experts gathered by the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs (ISCD) rated alcohol higher than most or all of the other drugs for health damage, mortality, impairment of mental functioning, accidental injury, economic cost, loss of relationships, and negative impact on community. Over all, alcohol rated 72 points on a 100-point scale, compared to 55 for heroin, 54 for crack cocaine, and 33 for methamphetamine. Cannabis got a middling score of 20, while MDMA (Ecstasy), LSD, and psilocybin mushrooms were at the low end, with ratings of 9, 7, and 6, respectively.

The War on Drugs is a War on People. The law is the crime. There is no rational basis.

The United States has 5% of the world's population but 25% of all the prisoners on Earth. China has less people locked up than we do. This is rational? This is justice?

I'm not going to love the United States or leave it. I'm going to love the United States and help change it for the better. That's what Jedi do. At the top of my list is abolishing the despicable Evil Incarnate Prison Industrial Complex and ending the criminalization of good (otherwise) law abiding citizens merely for using a plant.

LEAP | Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - http://www.leap.cc/

Let's see:
  • Many people die from alcohol use. Nobody dies from marijuana use.
  • People die from alcohol overdoses. There has never been a fatal marijuana overdose.
  • The health-related costs associated with alcohol use far exceed those for marijuana use.
  • Alcohol use damages the brain. Marijuana use does not.
  • Alcohol use is linked to cancer. Marijuana use is not.
  • Alcohol is more addictive than marijuana.
  • Alcohol use increases the risk of injury to the consumer. Marijuana use does not.
  • Alcohol use contributes to aggressive and violent behavior. Marijuana use does not.
  • Alcohol use is a major factor in violent crimes. Marijuana use is not.
  • Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic abuse and sexual assault. Marijuana use does not.

Details and references: http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/

How Marijuana Became Illegal: http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

Let's not forget cigarettes: http://www.mjlegal.org/alctob.html

Attachment henningfieldbenowitz_sm2.gif not found

Founder of The Order
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Br. John. Reason: Spelling. No content changed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60037 by
This is one of those things where I don't really have a side just yet. Let me throw out a word that should get you thinking..."alcohol."

Many of you argue that illegal drugs are harmful for the community and are ruining loved ones...but does alcohol not have this same effect? I have witnessed people fall apart because of alcohol. I had a friend from high school who turned from his family, and ultimately, died in an accident in which he was drunk (wrapped his car around a tree). What you argue against drugs, can also be applied to alcohol.

HOWEVER! There is another side I stand on. Unlike drugs, you cannot get contact drunk from alcohol. The smoke from drugs gives you contact high. The smell from alcohol does nothing (unless you're like me and it makes you want to vomit). I, for one, do not feel like getting high just standing on the street corner or sitting out on the beach while somebody smokes weed or pot. Sure, you can legalize some drugs but not others, but that just sends you down a slippery path. You can legalize all drugs but limit which ones are used where, but once again...slippery slope. People will still complain.

So as you can see, there are valid arguments on both sides, which is why I haven't been able to pick one. Now I do not like drugs. I do not like any mind altering substance. And I don't buy the whole "but it gives you a religious experience" crap (sorry, just being honest). Hallucinations from drugs are nothing more the false images and feelings. I do not want those falsities. I want to experience REAL spiritual connection (this is all just my opinion, by the way, but one I thoroughly believe in).

So there's my 2 cents. Not very helpful, probably, but it's there anyway. Deal with it! :P

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi