Jedi Intervention in Dakota Access Pipeline

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266313 by

Trisskar wrote:
I do not agree with the Protesters. Heck...The Original Protesters that started this dosnt agree with the protesters of today.

Same, I've only seen and heard one side of the story. And that side is more interested in screaming their own story then in hearing anybody else.

While the Mainstream media may not be discussing it (which is one issue), how am I to take the word of 1000 people that are actively taking part and using social media specifically to voice their own position.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
7 years 4 months ago #266346 by Whyte Horse
Nobody has to physically travel to ND to get involved. Like I said, this isn't a call to march around and hold signs. I don't even think that works. What does work is:
1. Holding people accountable for their crimes
2. Being a witness
3. Bitching at congressmen, police chiefs, mayors, etc.
4. Breaking the media silence
5. Informing people of what's going on and what they can do.

Standing on the sidelines and doing nothing and saying nothing is actually helpful to the pipeline company and police. Once they set a precedent of using excessive force without any consequences, it becomes normalized. There will be tanks and grenades at every protest from now on. Hundreds of arrests, hundreds of injuries, etc.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
7 years 4 months ago #266347 by Kohadre

Whyte Horse wrote: Nobody has to physically travel to ND to get involved. Like I said, this isn't a call to march around and hold signs. I don't even think that works. What does work is:
2. Being a witness

Standing on the sidelines and doing nothing and saying nothing is actually helpful to the pipeline company and police. Once they set a precedent of using excessive force without any consequences, it becomes normalized. There will be tanks and grenades at every protest from now on. Hundreds of arrests, hundreds of injuries, etc.

Hold who accountable?, for what crimes?, in what fashion? Nobody in my local township has any direct involvement within the DAPL conflict, nor do they have any measurable degree of influence in it's eventual outcome.

2. Being a witness

Once again, in what fashion? How am I expected to serve as a witness unless I am directly involved in these events.

Of the Dakota state government, or my local government? Considering I am not represented under the Dakota state political or legal system, my voice and political stance carries no weight as I am not one of their constituents, nor am I a contributing resident. Within my own state government, I find no reason worth merit as to why I should antagonize my political representatives, police chiefs, or other local elected officials to direct their attention to the political affairs of an external state government. My area has recently been subject to a number of devastating fires at industrial plants and centers, which have created a wide spread toxic fallout which has us operating in a state of emergency. Their efforts and attentions are far more appropriately directed to those immediate pressing issues.

I'd be happy to sign a petition to encourage the media to direct their attention towards better covering the DAPL conflict, however outside of that it is not my place to demand that a privately held media corporation operate in one particular fashion or another. The news outlets are not an on demand service which tailor reports to the tastes of individual subscribers - they report based on events which are found to have the greatest effect and influence upon their collective viewer base.

Informing people of what's going on and what they can do.

OK, so most of us are already aware of the Dakota pipeline conflict. I have seen a couple posts by you now calling for us to spring to action, but failing to outline a suggested set of actions.

What exactly is it you suggest the TOTJO community do?

Outside of the things most people are already doing (Raising awareness, sending donations, encouraging individuals to do some of their own fact checking), I'm at a loss of what additional action you believe we should be taking.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Zenchi

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
7 years 4 months ago #266348 by Whyte Horse
If you're not in the US, you can send a scathing letter to your local ambassador ;)
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-information-services/contact-us-immigrant-visas/u-s-embassy-london-visa-unit-contact-form/

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
7 years 4 months ago #266349 by Whyte Horse
Well Kohadre, the first thing one could do is go and watch the videos, see the photos, read the posts of what's going on. There are live streams as well which is a convenient way to be a witness. After you see the evidence, you will know which crimes have been committed. One could then take action based on that knowledge. Such actions could include calling for a federal investigation or explaining to people that what they saw on fox news was the exact opposite of what happened. Things like that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266366 by
Oh yes. What a great idea. Lets send letters (Among the many thousands being sent from all over the world) to the powers involved stating firmly in words how very very upset we are........ Just to have it ignored along with the other thousands of letters.

Seriously.

You want to be involved? Go out there and help. But don't judge others who dont.

• Whyte Horse
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
7 years 4 months ago #266372 by Whyte Horse

Trisskar wrote: Oh yes. What a great idea. Lets send letters (Among the many thousands being sent from all over the world) to the powers involved stating firmly in words how very very upset we are........ Just to have it ignored along with the other thousands of letters.

Seriously.

You want to be involved? Go out there and help. But don't judge others who dont.

I'm already involved. I was offering ways for people to get involved without making a major sacrifice. Look, the problem is not boots on the ground. They have 15,000 people currently. The problem is not money. It's not the majority of things we think. It's the military. The national guard. The US Army. Our army.

And you're right. An angry letter to some political sockpuppet won't change one damn thing. These are side-shows for the people who want to dip their toes in the water to see if it's hot. It's just an exercise. And once they see that this system is so corrupt that it could be called an oligarchy by the world's most prominent university, then they will take it to the next level.

The next level is <censored by US law regarding religion, nonprofits, and foundations>

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266385 by

Silas Mercury wrote: Let's organize a group of Jedi to go there, provide food and aid to the protesters, and that would get our names out there. Come on guys. This is the opportunity.

Ehhh... while I like the idea of food and aid (not that I can afford to do any of it and I don't know who among us can), and I do like the idea of a Jedi presence among the protesters (because really, shouldn't a Jedi be willing to defend the oppressed?)... I don't know if I'm comfortable with drawing attention to us, per se.

Mostly because it's not really about us. It's about them.

CryojenX wrote: The things which I have seen coming from North Dakota sicken me to the bone, but I have to be realistic about the fact that I can barely leave the house due to my illness; I would be more of a liability than an asset. To cast aspersions on your fellow Jedi because they have different life conditions that make such a action (however noble) infeasible goes against so much of the Jedi Doctrine and the Oaths we take. A Jedi is aware of their place in the Force; while yours may allow you go trekking across the country to risk life and limb for a righteous cause, everyone has their own place, and their own responsibilities.

Agreed. Honestly, they probably have too many people to organize and take care of as it is. Me going out there with all of my nonsense wouldn't do them any good.

By all means, if anyone can go, and would be useful there, I'm all for it. But I think there other ways we can help... I think there was a way you could donate to the tribe to assist them, or something?

Whyte Horse wrote: 1. Holding people accountable for their crimes
2. Being a witness

I'm with you on 3 and 5, but the rest seem kind of... uh... out-of-reach or odd for the average viewer. "Being a witness"? In what sense? Just following the news?

But 3 and 5 I can absolutely agree with. Let your representatives know, let your friends know, don't let this news be obscure, and make sure they know exactly why there's a protest about it.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266397 by Zenchi
https://thefreethoughtproject.com/10-protest-dakota-access-pipeline/
(For this link to work you may need to remove the s after http...)

https://heavy.com/news/2016/11/standing-rock-veterans-donations-fundraiser-go-fund-me-dapl-dakota-access-pipeline-arm-blown-off-video-photos-amazon-list-facebook/

https://standingrock.org/

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #266453 by
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ed-standing-rock-sioux-other-side-110916-20161109-story.html

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi