Your Presidential Candidate Preference

More
7 years 7 months ago #254971 by Alethea Thompson

AveryR1988 wrote:

If Bernie supporters were going to vote 3rd party because (well most I know can't stand Hillary either), I'm curious which one you think would fit better- Jill or Johnson?

In random news, I was rather disappointed to learn that PBS edited Jill's commentary on Hillary Clinton out of their television special.

There is no right answer for that question. It is subject to why they supported Sanders. Either way that question would make a great new thread.

Why not? ^^

So which candidate are you looking at, and why?

Just to give this little post a bit more substance, I'm working on a class for Let's Regroup at KoA on Voter's Awareness (it's party neutral). In the discussions we have up so far, I talk about generating your own policy algorithm (list everything you want the candidate to discuss, prioritize each one on a list of 1-10, grade the candidate's answer based on how much you like it on the 1-10, if anyone's interested I can link the videos I have up already, because it's a lot more complicated to explain without the video XD!), bias judging them by their appearance (well, okay, to be fair, that's more in relation to people at the local level, presidential candidates can't afford to look like joe-smoe), relevance of personality, and I'm working on the one that looks a bit more closely at candidates with flaws in their policies but you like almost everything else, etc.

The big names seem to be:

The obvious- Hillary and Trump

and then third party- Jill Stein and Gary Johnson

Jill and Gary haven't made themselves quite well known, but let's be fair, they are third party, it's harder for them to get their time in the spot light. Jill does have a PBS special, but it's been criticized for cutting out her talk about Hillary Clinton in the official release, so there's no telling what else they cut out. Gary Johnson is probably a bit more well known because of his campaign pushing that he's not Hillary or Trump.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254973 by
More politics in our religious Temple, yaaay...

How about we consciously try and avoid inherently divisive topics and focus on the things we can unite over? Just my preference, as a Jedi...

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254975 by Rosalyn J

tzb wrote: More politics in our religious Temple, yaaay...

How about we consciously try and avoid inherently divisive topics and focus on the things we can unite over? Just my preference, as a Jedi...

I was just about to post something similar. And also going to direct to the kind reminder provided by Proteus that this is a global forum

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Rosalyn J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254976 by
I agree totally tzb.

As an American, I am terrified about the choices we have. As A Jedi Knight, it is my responsibility to work with whatever system of government is in place.

So while I am in this Temple..There is No Politics: There is The Force! ;)

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254977 by Brick
As a Brit, I don't really follow American Politics (in fact I don't even fully understand how the heck your political system works, despite Avalonslight's best attempts to educate me on the matter).

I did stumble across this video the other day though, which amused me greatly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLAh3pui-CI

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Brick.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254978 by
As a Dutchy i can only wish you all good luck , but frankly , i think you are screwed ..whoever you choose, i dont really see America as a democracy with only 2 parties and a strawman construction and thus disableling the real voters.

More
7 years 7 months ago #254980 by Zenchi
One day, slowly but surely, people will tire of it all and stop buying into the circus of ridiculous choices within a system that ultimately no longer benifits the people it was built to serve. Only when the people decide for themselves they no longer wish to buy into the crap placed upon our plates, and decide together not to vote, will anything substantial change...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, RyuJin,

More
7 years 7 months ago #254984 by Alethea Thompson
That's really too bad that we feel we can't discuss this like adults.

Realistically, on some platform the US president does affect the wider global scale. It's a sad fact. The wrong decision (Bush and through Obama) can lead to wider implications (we went into Iraq [Bush], we were pulled out [Obama], ISIS rose in the chaos >.>, sequence of events, not saying it was Obama's fault, even though he has blamed himself for it, that was a terrible situation, he couldn't' have realistically done anything about it. Yes, I know that was a run-on sentence, I don't care, lol) can have huge implications in other areas (ISIS attacking France, because they can >.>).

The discussion isn't just one for Americans. Just like Brexit wasn't just one for Europe, it actually impacts other areas in terms of trade agreements and what not.

I was kind of hoping that there would be more talk on Jill and Gary, tbh. Everyone knows about the other two. But I won't begrudge people an opportunity to talk about what they like or dislike in any candidate. I mean, a Jedi group is the one place I don't expect there to be "You're racist because you support Trump" or "You're in support of troops being murdered because you support Hillary". It's the one place in all of the internet I would expect people to just talk about the candidate and not the supporters.

*shrugs* Oh well. If it goes no where, it goes no where.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 7 months ago #254999 by RyuJin
Obama has taken a lot of flak for things outside his influence, it doesn't help that the Republican party has actively undermined him at every turn then manipulated the media to make it look as though it was his fault...

America isn't a true democracy, it's a representative democratic republic, in a true democracy every citizen has a say, in our system we elect representatives that are supposed to represent our views/voice...unfortunately that is seldom the case thanks to Reagan allowing lobbyists to influence policy..money talks, feces walks...further corrupting our system is the electoral college...it doesn't matter who the more popular candidate is, it only matters who the electoral college likes...my mom's great uncle ran for president against Harry truman and won the popular vote there are even pictures in history books poking fun about it, showing truman stepping off a plane holding a newspaper headlined "Dewey defeats truman"....however Dewey was not popular with the electoral college (some of his proposed policies threatened their jobs) and therefore truman wound up winning the electoral vote and as a result the presidency...

Until we give everyone a say, and eliminate the 2 party system we will continue having election cycle like the one we're currently endurin....

All that being said, if everyone that voted wrote in bernie sanders he could still become president provided he had enough electoral support...as to whom i'm going with....still undecided, Hillary can't be trusted and trump is a pompous buffoon.....maybe we need a cooling off cycle, you know because we're breaking up with barack....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255000 by
I see what you're trying to do Alethea. I feel somewhat torn in the middle here of "Great, more politics...yay" and "Well this is a place for learning and IF handled APPROPRIATELY a discussion of politics isn't out of place, in my opinion."

As such, I'm going to contribute to the discussion a little while remaining as polite and non-controversial as possible.

I know very little about Gary Johnson but what I do know I like. I'd feel inclined to vote for him if I thought it wouldn't be a waste of a vote. As much as I do not like Hillary I like her a lot more than Trump so I'll probably vote for Hillary because our 2 party system (which the country wasn't designed to support originally) is so broken that that's the only way I feel I can honestly say I opposed Trump. Granted, I'm of the opinion that our vote barely counts since the popular vote is merely a suggestion for the electoral college. Even if 98% of the time they side with the popular vote, the fact that they don't have to makes me feel like it's barely worth it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi