Any fans of ancient history/archaeology?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251201 by
I've been on this site for a month, and have loved every moment of it! However I do want to start being more sociable and really meet good people and make new friends! I figured one way to start was to find people with similar interests, so this is it!

History and archeology are passions of mine, I love them very much and archaeology is my intended career path. If you have the same or similar interests, leave a reply or send me a message! I'd love to talk and get to know you.

Even if you're not a history nerd like me, the whole point of this post is to try and meet new people, so leave your own interests or, again, message me!

I look forward to the discussions, may the Force be with you. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #251203 by Adder
I was always into military history, but more recently with Jediism I've focused on religious and spiritual history which has had a greater connection to sociology then the military stuff. More rewarding then I expected.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251204 by
I have picked up snippits of random historical information from playing dungeons and dragons. Mostly in the context of Lindy beige videos. And in general I do love me a good Roman.

More
7 years 9 months ago #251218 by Leah Starspectre
My bachelors degree is in Classical Studies (focus on ancient history, Latin and archaeology)! So if you ever want an inside scoop, let me know (bearing in mind that I graduated almost a decade ago, ha ha!) :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #251225 by Lykeios Little Raven
I'm very interested in ancient history, particularly that of the Greeks. Archaeology has always fascinated me. It's so cool how archaeologists piece together clues to solve mysteries about the ancient peoples of the world.

I'm down to talk ancient history or archaeology any time! :)

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #251238 by
I majored in history and while medieval Iceland (AD 870 - 1262) was my academic focus, American Indians (and especially American Indian oral history) in the modern era became my professional focus. Of course, nothing came of my degree, and my job as a historian was axed by the state government, but history remains a subject very dear to me.

In terms of ancient history, years ago I helped write a tabletop RPG whose setting was very loosely based on ancient Mesopotamia (specifically the Third Dynasty of Ur) and that was an insane amount of fun to write. A retiring professor gave me a bunch of books on that subject, and looking at my bookshelves one one be forgiven for thinking *that* was my main interest in history. A very fascinating and underrated area of history, imo.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251246 by
Yup !! GCSE in Latin right here !! Plus, two trips two Rome under my belt.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251250 by
I've been in archaelogic expeditions about 5 times. But it was more about spending summer with fun then about history - all the time aside the excavation site we had to ourselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251271 by
I enjoy history but most knowledge of it comes only from High school classes and minor self research. Although I did have more than one history class try to get me booted for blowing the curve every time, so I might know more than I expect.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251273 by
Has anyone heard of experimental archaeology? That stiff is really cool!

Lets say you find the remains of an ancient Celtic round houses for examples sake. You'd be lucky if the remains of the walls are as higher than the top of your foot! So they'd excavate the site, learn as much as possible from it, and then go away and try to recreate the house. If the house falls down in 2 weeks, they know the celts didn't build their houses like that. If it stays standing for 20 years, they can guess they built it at least similarly.

Once it's built, they let the house fall down naturally and then excavate those remains and compare it with the original ones. It's a really clever way of determining how let's say the roof of the building was made; something that could never have been guessed from the original remains.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi