This Gave Me Hope

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247359 by
Replied by on topic This Gave Me Hope
Everyday the sun comes up, I have a fresh start and have another go at it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247455 by
This is a reply to Goken's first example of 'a little victory'

I'm very glad that the girl's deposit turned out to be legitimate. However, the person who said she was 'a young black girl' was NOT being racist. That statement in an of itself is only an observation, not a racist remark. If they had said, "I think this one might be a fraud, as she was a black girl". THAT would be bordering on racism, and yet, at the same time, it is known that crime in many black neighborhoods is quite high compared to white and asian communities. I'm sorry, but that is the reality. You can look up the statistics. So the person might have reason to be a little suspicious, but it's not really racism UNTIL someone directly accused her of committing fraud because of her race without checking it out first. Since your bank did do the research first, however, and resolved the issue, there was no racism that went on.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247456 by

Kestrelraptorial wrote: However, the person who said she was 'a young black girl' was NOT being racist. That statement in an of itself is only an observation, not a racist remark. If they had said, "I think this one might be a fraud, as she was a black girl". THAT would be bordering on racism...

I didn't post the entire conversation, but that was the context of it. We had reason to question the legitimacy of the deposit and someone said "well she was a young black girl" meaning that she thought that was evidence that it was more likely to be fraudulent. That is clearly racism. Statistically validated or not, assuming that something is more or less likely to be true about a person based solely on the color of their skin is racism, plain and simple.

I appreciate your reply but this will be the end of my part in the conversation here as I believe that it deviates from the purpose of this thread. We may discuss this further in a different thread or via PM if you would like too.

More
7 years 9 months ago #247461 by Codama
Replied by Codama on topic This "Didn't" Give Me Hope

Kestrelraptorial wrote: This is a reply to Goken's first example of 'a little victory'

I'm very glad that the girl's deposit turned out to be legitimate. However, the person who said she was 'a young black girl' was NOT being racist. That statement in an of itself is only an observation, not a racist remark. If they had said, "I think this one might be a fraud, as she was a black girl". THAT would be bordering on racism, and yet, at the same time, 1. it is known that crime in many black neighborhoods is quite high (2.) compared to white and asian communities. I'm sorry, but (3.) that is the reality. You can (4.) look up the statistics. So (5.) the person might have reason to be a little suspicious, but it's not really racism UNTIL someone directly accused her of committing fraud because of her race without checking it out first. Since your bank did do the research first, however, and resolved the issue, there was no racism that went on.

1. Please don't confuse "Black Communities" with low income communities.
2. Also please know that "crimes" in Black communities are reported and charged/convicted more than they are in (The Communities you view as without crime).
3. Any point of view is reality.
4. When have statistics not been unbiased.
5. The person has an "EXCUSE" to be suspicious.

But thank you for your post, Kestrelraptorial. May The Force Be With You.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247465 by
Stay on topic and answer the OP please , personal views can be discussed in a personal message and not in this thread B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247477 by
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkHWayeIT_o

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248713 by
Some of you may not have heard, but over the weekend in Kansas the local Black Lives Matter group hosted a joint cookout event with the local police officers.

Sunday night's event in Wichita's McAdams Park drew a crowd of nearly 1,000 people. The name of the gathering was the 'First Steps Cookout.'

Many people who spoke to Eyewitness News reporter Deedee Sun say the event was largely a positive step to bring the Wichita Police Department closer to the community it serves.

A large crowd gathered in McAdams Park enjoyed free food and the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with law enforcement.

"Very good vibe. Very good vibe. It's everything I was hoping for," says Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay.

The barbecue took place instead of a planned protest for Sunday night.

Ramsay suggested the event to community leaders following a Black Lives Matter protest in the city last week.

Ramsay had said the barbecue was an opportunity for citizens and police to be introduced and to have positive interaction. Nearly 400 people pledged their intention to attend the event with an RSVP. More than double that amount attended.

Full article here .

Now that really gives me hope. After a week of such high tension between these two groups to see them come together like that is amazing. That's what we all really need anyway, isn't it? Not protesting each other and conflict, but saying "hey, why don't we all meet up and hang out and realize that we're not all bad people?" I absolutely love that this happened and I really hope to see it happen more and more across the country.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248838 by

Attachment he322b29.jpg not found

Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248882 by
Phortis, your post reminds me of an episode of How I Met Your Mother when Marshall is working at the environmental law firm and he finds out that his boss has given up hope for the future of the planet. Marshall pulls a picture of his wife's recent sonogram from his pocket and says that he can't give up, for his son.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248993 by
This story gives me hope :)

https://www.facebook.com/WRALTV/videos/10155134778752178/

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi