Split off - Linking offsite versus Quoting...

More
8 years 11 months ago #190985 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rants far and wide
lol repost or riposte?

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #190986 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:Rants far and wide
Perhaps this deserves its own thread rather than taking over rants

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Zenchi

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 11 months ago #190992 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide
Split...

Was on a "stretch leg" break at a seminar...

See you guys later...:)

Attachment h181965d.jpg not found

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191003 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide
I am a little confused. This topic seems to jump a bit :-p Let me first address the "Old People" Comment. Being one of those "Old People" I can say that yes. I am very well aware that I was once a Noob in someone elses book ;) I don't pretend to know everything. However, I do know that I have had experience's the new people did not. So let me ask you this....As a Jedi, and a Knight in some places (not here obviously) Should I A: keep my big trap shut and let them flounder about making all the same misstakes I did or B: Off a bit of guidance and teach what I know along the way? As Jedi...I was pretty sure we were supposed to teach....You know. That whole "Ignorance, Yet Knowledge." Thing.

When I quote things from other places like different threads in this forum, or from other places off site. It is because I am attempting to offer different perspectives to the subject I am talking about. Kind of like saying "See? I don't know it all....So and so and so and so and that other guy also agrees that x, y, and z is done in this manner." When I quote myself it is because I feel the words in the quote are better put together then "Off the Cuff" ramblings that may or may not cause more confusion then clarity.

Words are very very important. Especiouly in the written world such as forums. If your quote can say the words better then the alternative post. Quote it. We are all here to learn and gain knowledge anyways.

So what if the old members think they know it all. Do you learn from them? Yes? Then whats the big deal? No? Ignore them. :)

Just my two cents anyways.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191026 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rants far and wide
if i had to carry my online persona by my own wits i wouldnt even turn on my computer

except to do brain teasers maybe

easy ones

imo the jedi warrior thread has a ton of great videos and links and quotes from outside sources

i deliberately kept my own "this is what i think" to a minimum in that topic, for the simple reason that on the internet "I" is an uncertain entity; for all i know this whole forum is a conversation between me and some frightened kid locked in an attic with a computer and an IQ of 210 - PM ME ATTIC CHILD I WILL HELP YOU GET A GIRL FRIEND! - OR A BOYFRIEND, WHATEVER, YOU NEED TO SOCIALIZE!!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 11 months ago #191075 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide

Kitsu Tails wrote: I am a little confused. This topic seems to jump a bit :-p Let me first address the "Old People" Comment. Being one of those "Old People" I can say that yes. I am very well aware that I was once a Noob in someone elses book ;) I don't pretend to know everything.

Yea, I think a turn happened, lol...

Yes, my dear, and I older than you, to me, you are still a dab 'wet behind the ears', lol... If I remember correctly, I am half again your age, lol...

And was merely saying how I hope when I am done being a newb, I dont act like that, lolol....

However, I do know that I have had experience's the new people did not. So let me ask you this....As a Jedi, and a Knight in some places (not here obviously) Should I A: keep my big trap shut and let them flounder about making all the same misstakes I did or B: Off a bit of guidance and teach what I know along the way? As Jedi...I was pretty sure we were supposed to teach....You know. That whole "Ignorance, Yet Knowledge." Thing.

Nope, I have seldom seen anyone ask to not share, and of those who were ask, they had to be removed...

Of course you should not...

Have you learned when to sit back and watch the person make their mistake?

My dad said, "Jestor, why dont you listen when I tell you things, it would save a lot of trouble, Ive told you X times already?"

Me: "Dad, you re probably right, and someday I may have to tell you that, but somethings I am going to do my way regardless of what you say, becasue sometimes I have to see for myself"

Dad: "Well, shit... I cant argue there"...

The point is, the line between advice, and harping is a sliding grey scale interpreted differently...

We just have to keep in mind that even friendly advice, when not ask for, or not delivered right, will not be taken in the right light, and therefore, know when to NOT say something too... lol...

Or, when in the case of Steamboats post that made me post, remember that what is old to us, has to be logiced out by the newbs, and letting them discover stuff on their own is how they will learn... They miight listen, but they wiull understand once it clicks.. lol..

When I quote things from other places like different threads in this forum, or from other places off site. It is because I am attempting to offer different perspectives to the subject I am talking about. Kind of like saying "See? I don't know it all....So and so and so and so and that other guy also agrees that x, y, and z is done in this manner." When I quote myself it is because I feel the words in the quote are better put together then "Off the Cuff" ramblings that may or may not cause more confusion then clarity.

I (personally) dont mind the quoting, quote a paragraph, quote a page, I dont care...

But dont ask me to go elsewhere to read it... Dont tell me, "Well, 6 months ago, I wrote a blog/video on it and I said:

To reuse my book analogy, I dont want to read a book, and then have that book tell me that since it was wrote else where, go read book B, then come back to A...

If book B want to quote, use foot notes, or refer to the other book however it likes, great, but dont force me to go elsewhere to read your opinion, or that of another, in another book, thats silly...

If I wanted to look in other books, I wouldnt have picked this one up... and if you are enticive enough with your quote, perhaps I would check out the other book... but, perhaps not...

Perhaps I see it as a ploy to sell more books... lol...

I dont want to go read your (a person's) blog, or watch a video, I want to have a conversation... And when I have said as much, I was told, "Well, then you dont want to learn/understand"...

Really? Oh, then you dont want to have a conversation, and would prefer to post your thoughts and have no give and take...

When you are retelling a story to (husband/wife/parent/friend) do you (anyone not specifically you Kitsu) say, You should go ask ____ about this story, Ive told it once, so I am not going to say it again, geez, am I a machine?"

I should just start linking to the dictionary and tell folks to pick out the words I am thinking of for my response, LOL....

Just being silly... :lol:

Words are very very important. Especiouly in the written world such as forums. If your quote can say the words better then the alternative post. Quote it. We are all here to learn and gain knowledge anyways.

I love quotes, have three in my signature...:)

My point about words being worthless is often lost, and it just amuses me to say it occasionally and get Steamboat going... lol...

Why? Becasue its not the words, it the meaning...

Its why people dont understand one another...

"Its cold"

"NO, its freezing"

"Its not that cold"

And on and on...

Was the point made in the first sentence? did we all understand? or did it need to be further clarified so we all understand the words used? Was it any clearer that it was cold?

Words are confusing because of that...

Words are not important, meaning is...

That why I can 'grunt' and shake my head no and tranfer more meaning that by simply saying 'no'...

So what if the old members think they know it all. Do you learn from them? Yes? Then whats the big deal? No? Ignore them. :)

Just my two cents anyways.

Well, you are better paid than me, this is only my cent...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191088 by

Jestor wrote: Well, you are better paid than me, this is only my cent...;)

I didn't say it was real! :laugh: *2 cents vanish into dirt and pebbles - Triss fox vanishes into a log* :woohoo: :whistle:

More
8 years 11 months ago #191090 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Rants far and wide
So, we've come to this again, have we? No ideas, just hunting for each other's mistakes and pausing for a small parade when we find one, no matter how petty? We are just empty of anything but the urge to make the other one wrong, huh?

It's small and boring and I'm over it. Somebody wake me when it's over.

Or when that kid gets back from the hospital. If he gets back from the hospital.

Damn it...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191093 by
Ummm? :unsure: :huh: :dry:

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191099 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Rants far and wide
I thought it was about people posting quotes and vids without adding any of their own thoughts, not the existence of quotes and vids.

Such that posting a ton of youtubes for example does not say anything from or about the poster, it only shows something they find interesting. If we all did that we'd have our very own jeditube which simply would not compete with youtube and can be achieved by a user having a youtube channel. No offense to Ob1Shinobi's Warrior thread, I'm not complaining, just thinking about what Jestor means
:lol:
Which I tend to agree with (if I'm accurate). Quotes and vidz are awesome, but I'd rather read a few sentences from the person posting those quotes and vidz - about what they think of it.... else I might as well google the topic myself and explore. Especially if I've already seen the quote or vid.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Kit

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi