Split off - Linking offsite versus Quoting...

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 11 months ago #191116 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide
Yes Adder...:)

Thanks....:)

Cabur, no one forced you to read or respond, lol....;)

Sometimes, "blocks" need worked through...

We are just talking, my initial post here was my rant, summed up nicely by Adder....

Just talking, perhaps someone can make me see what I might be missing....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191117 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide

Jestor wrote: We are just talking....

Yea....I thought for sure this was just talking. Not solving. I was just giving my general thoughts. Not attempting to win a p****Contest.... :dry:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191133 by
I think either we are missing something or Cabur is missing something. A part of this story doesn't add up.

Really, to give my thoughts since I kind of started this thing... Honestly, quoting has its place. Linking has its place. I didn't mean to generalize when I said that I came here only to converse. That's not true. I just said that I came here to converse, not to read links. Which is true! But, the fact that I read quotes and links here isn't a bad thing.

It's like... I go to the bus stop to get on a bus. But, I may talk to somebody about their day. What they had for lunch. It was not a bad thing that I talk to them. but, my purpose is to get on the bus.. not to talk to them. Yeah?

In these forums, sometimes we don't have the answer. Or, somebody else has the answer already in a nice neat bow. That link could be perfect.

But, I would ask... if that comes up, we should put in the effort to bring the discussion back.

When Alex linked me the empathy stuff offsite, I went and watched.. but I brought that information back in the form of videos and lessons for the DSQ. I engaged in conversation about them with friends and colleagues here. It is better when the discussion comes back and we analyze together. When we think and exchange ideas. And, we do that a lot! But, not always.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191144 by
Wouldn't link or quote anything that wasn't relevant to the discussion at hand.

If people do not choose to read it due to some strange tick on not liking it, it's hard to bring it back to analyze.

If someone says it better than I do or can I post it.

If I think the same way, I copy and paste it.

Video and audio are resources to be tapped in our medium.

I'm investing my time in people, and communication is important.

Not everyone communicates the same way.

I will read a blog post, watch a video, or podcast.

Not everything can be found at TOTJO, but the internet is a big place and in one click....It's really not that much trouble.

It's not as if I have ever ask someone to read a books worth of anything.

An article?

A blog post?

All relatively short.

A video, perhaps longer, but I can listen to it in parts.

A podcast the same.

I see it as part and parcel of our medium, and if will not put in the time to understand another's point of view because of how they choose to communicate, lol, well I have seriousl myself in my capacity to reciprocate, nor could I truly be said to be sincere in my level of engagement.

The conversation, those I choose to engage in are important to me. The least I can do is listen to how others are conversing.

In working with the mentally ill, or those with downs syndrome, etc, I have had to engage in many methods of communication that are taxing and cumbersome.

Now, if everyone were only to engage on the level they want, there wouldn't be much in the way of any communication.

That's how I approach it.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191159 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Rants far and wide
As long as something is given context I don't mind it... be it a quote, video or link... :)

However ...if you write a book's worth of information in one post (quote or not) I may turn off part way through, or if you post a video that's an hour long without any information about it, I'm probably not going to watch it. :dry:

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
8 years 11 months ago #191267 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Rants far and wide

Jestor wrote:

Cabur, no one forced you to read or respond, lol....;)

Ah, apologies. I was trying to post in the original Rant thread. I did a search, clicked on the wrong thing. This was about work. A kid nearly died. Not about you guys.

Go back to whatever it was you were all on about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191273 by

Cabur Senaar wrote: Ah, apologies. I was trying to post in the original Rant thread. I did a search, clicked on the wrong thing. This was about work. A kid nearly died. Not about you guys.

Go back to whatever it was you were all on about.

Ah, so that explains this quote:

Cabur Senaar wrote: Or when that kid gets back from the hospital. If he gets back from the hospital.

I spent like 5 minutes re-reading the first couple posts to see if I missed something. :laugh: The rest of it seemed to fit rather nicely though, if you were annoyed at the thread at hand.

I hope the kid gets better.

Sorry for the derailment, back to discussion! B)

More
8 years 11 months ago #191279 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Rants far and wide

Goken wrote: I hope the kid gets better.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi