List of scientists who became creationists after studying the evidence

More
8 years 11 months ago #191416 by Gisteron
I don't quite got it either, but I did count a total of 15 explicit lies and 2 that may be a matter of expression and interpretation. With the summary post there was only one of each.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191418 by OB1Shinobi
if youd be so kind as to point out these explicit lies so that i may be aware of the deception i am explicitly attempting?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191424 by OB1Shinobi
actually Gisteron im going to respond this way:

i was cordial and offered what i belive to be valid ideas in the conversation

you, as usual are a prig

im aware that i have a bit of a tendency to be a prig as well so i wont harp overmuch on it beyond the following

calling someone an explicit liar because they present ideas you dont agree with is not only further demonstration of your poor interpretive abilities and underdeveloped social skills
but also contrary to the whole point of public discussion

its easy enough to hide behind a sense of smug superiority but if you cannot address the issues presented in the discussion then you forfeit the right to relevance

im open to an explanation which will demonstrate that i am not correct in what i say

but i am not a liar

i make no claims to an intellect beyond my time or of any significantly higher ability than the average person
but i know my own intelligence and it is sufficient to the analysis of evidence and to the task of discourse - if the best retort which you have to what i have said is "liar liar pants on fire" then youve no retort at all

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 11 months ago #191487 by Gisteron
Fine, fine, let's do this...

you cannot make the case that religion has local boundaries or isolationism

Yes, I can. Watch me.
This is a map of the biggest world religions. Notice how well defined the boundaries mostly are.
This is a map of milk consumption, for comparison. Just to illustrate that judging by distribution patterns, religions might as well be habits or tastes. Animal and disease spreading patterns look similar, too, implying that memes have some similarity to genes. Here is another illustration:
This is a US map of Christian denominations. Notice how Baptists, Lutherans and Catholics dominate their respective areas with mostly clear boundaries to the other tribes. I predict that in the border regions there will be high church attendance because faced with those of other faiths people will try to stick with theirs and mark their tribe and territory.
And look at that, a church attendance map . And yes, it shows just what I predicted it would: The most attendance tends to be in places of most diversity: The middle line between the Dakotas and Texas, and, very noticeably, Utah and southern Idaho, the Mormon region that is so narrowly surrounded by Catholics.
As for isolationism, this is more clearly visible with deeply islamic countries and how they shun particularly the internet or lose believers if they don't. One could also compare religious diversity or religiosity with internet access in the US, and you will see a pattern emerge.

as far as dogma - this is no more a required element of religion than of science

Yes, it is. There are historians who believe in Truther conspiracies and there are biologists who reject the big bang model. There are no Shiites who believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of God and there are no Mormons who don't think Joseph Smith was for real that one time. Religion has required and prohibited beliefs. Science does not.

it could equally be said that religions have mechanisms against dogma, and they do

No, they don't. They do have ways to discourage beliefs in other religions, but they positively encourage dogma and dogmatic thinking. I don't like to bring up history, but the close ties religions always had with totalitarianism are no coincidence. While they can be explained away by humans just being humans, i.e. power hungry, there is still a case to be made that religion helps to seize and keep power and religious thought, and I am, admittedly, generalizing somewhat here, is a good start in learning to become submissive to those in power.
Before this comes back to me, yes, I did notice the distinction of dogma and dogmatism. I am addressing the mindset that makes one produce and accept dogma. That is what I mean by dogmatism. A mindset which combats the tendency to dogmatism is in my view a force for good in this world.

when you enter the realm of metaphor, thats where you enter the realm of religion

If we are talking about religious metaphor, then yes. There are other metaphors around, some worse, some better. Let's not credit religion with creative use of language. We do that with and without it.

You went on to say that fields like psychology are moving to make a science of religion. I would agree in so far as they try to understand how religious thought comes about and how it affects us. If that is all you meant, no argument here.

is psychology a science?

Yes, so far it is. With the advent of neuroscience, when the time comes to call psychology obsolete, the label might be hijacked by future woo-scientists, but for now it is well within what we call science.

I had a few points to make about what you said regarding the IP, but then I realized that you use some labels the way Campbell would, and I shan't argue with that for now. I will say though that I think particles and frequencies are real in a different way than myths are. Myths express what we feel about this world and our place in it, as does all art. And while the tales themselves can either have occurred or not, what they express does not much depend on their historical accuracy.

when i say that science is a religion of facts ...

Truths aren't facts and facts aren't truths. Science is not concerned with truths and only concerned with facts insofar as they are the thing to be explained and predicted.

[The hero's journey] is as real as the angle of a shape or the boiling point of water but it is not something controlled and produced cleanly in a lab under a microscope

Neither the boiling point of actual water nor the angle of an actual shape are as clear and solid as you make it sound. Before they even let us into a lab we had a two hour lecture on measurement inaccuracy and uncertainty. Actually, not even so. They just told us what to do to decrease it and how to calculate the approximate uncertainty from the collected data. However, the journey is not "as real as" even those uncertain things, because it does not compare. It is like the difference of being at 30°C and being warm. One of them is a synthetic proposition that can be evaluated by some epistemic process, like the scientific method, the other one is an incorribile statement and is either true by definition or is beyond truth-value judgement.

The moral point is now moved to a different thread, so there it shall be discussed amongst us all.

if scientists are moral it is because they have been exposed to the ideas of the religious belife in the value of life and individual worth

The misconception you are having is that this is a religious belief. It isn't. It happens to be claimed by some (not all) religions to some extent, but it is not inherently religious. I would go as far and say that it is a basic animal instinct, far older than even our own species, which is why we find it throughout the animal kingdom to varying extents. Some people are born without that instinct. We call them sociopaths. Interestingly, they are on average not very much less religious than the rest of us, some are even far more religious. Indeed, many religions tend to speak lowly of the human being and thus provide easy justification to those with a grudge against mankind.

i dont see that there is any scientific validation to these ideas at all

science could even be said to refute that there is ANY value to ANY individual or even any species - or even life itself

That could be said, I suppose, but it would be wrong. There is no scientific finding that would remotely indicate that people or life is not valuable. Nor could there be such a finding in science, because there is no science studying worth. What can be said is that psychology and biology in general have an increasingly good idea of why it is many of us value each other, which is more than any other reasoning ever did for us, but it can't tell us why this should be so, though, unlike religions, it never pretends as if it could either.

it could be said that science not only gives us the power to destroy everyone and everything, but it also FAILS to give us a reason NOT TO

People don't fail at things they don't attempt. And decent people don't claim success when in fact they miserably failed and know it.

the idea that scientists are "ethical" is imo simply not true

the scientists of phillip morris or at least some of the scientists at bp or exxon spring to mind

I recall saying that you don't get away with being dishonest or unkind as a scientist. That is, there is no place for you in science unless you adhere to some ethical standards working with your subject and the people around you. That does not mean that scientists are good people in general, but your reputation as a scientist and your employ in academia vanishes if you sell out. Likewise, if you are working for a company, there is little you can do about them scewing your results which makes you no worse a scientist for it. But if you lie by trade, that company better pay you well because there is no genuine research centre or university departament that will have your name attached to their papers.
Now one could say that people who make a habit of being decent and honest at work might have some of that outside of work, but I don't think that the environment outside of work needs be adressed after how many preachers we know of who in the line of their work must profess what they don't believe and often deceive other people into believing it, too.

religion should not be viewed as a collection of literal facts in the way that world history is considered to be a collection of literal facts

Except neither world history nor religion is not a collection of literal facts, one of them is in many cases a collection of mostly falsehoods, and it is that very same one that most often keeps insistinting their story is a collection of literal facts, while the other almost never does anything of the sort. There are holocaust-denying historians. Are there flood-denying young-earth-creationists?

we are all beowulf - we all have to face a goliath, and reconcile ourselves to the appearance of oya, and we will all bow to shiva in our time

these things are TRUE

but they are not FACTS

How do you know? I get it that you mean it metaphorically, but how do you know that no human was born, lived and died without skipping one, multiple or all of these steps?

and science does not sufficiently deal with them, as far as i can tell, exceot in the earlier mentioned realms of say psychology, within which fields characters such as the hydra and medusa are VERY real

more real, some would say, than the boiling pint of water, which needs, in a manner of speaking, only alternate measuring standards to change

No... That's not true. Science does deal in metaphor, because ultimately all our models are mere models representing the real thing with limited accuracy, much like metaphors do. However, in psychology characters like the Hydra or Medusa are not "VERY real" at all. The only times it deals with those is when dealing with human fears and dreams, their origins and what underlying emotions can be derived from them. The only real thing about them is that somebody's brain really imagined them. They are nowhere near as real as the boiling point of water which is no matter of imagination at all.
Thoughts are real, contents of thoughts need not be. The map is not the territory .

I shan't say much on the intelligent design thing. It seems to me though that it was conceived and presented as a form of creationism all along, but since it matters little to the argument, I'm willing to accept tentatively for the sake of discussion, that it is not in its roots creationist.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

More
8 years 11 months ago #191504 by Locksley

OB1Shinobi wrote: actually Gisteron im going to respond this way:

i was cordial and offered what i belive to be valid ideas in the conversation

you, as usual are a prig

im aware that i have a bit of a tendency to be a prig as well so i wont harp overmuch on it beyond the following

Name-calling doesn't help, even when used in self-deprecation. Perhaps especially then. When we feel attacked or put-upon it's easy to want to lash out, but for the sake of the discussion it makes more sense to ignore any potential personal factors and just focus on the topic at hand. This is really something we're all learning. Whether or not a person is morally superior (or believes they are) is of no consequence. Whether or not their argument is faulty is.

also, im guessing that this conversation was not what you had in mind when you started the topic, i can only hope youre not too unhappy at the turn its taken, it IS (imo) a good conversation

No, but I really didn't have anything in mind, so that works out pretty well. I wish that people would create a spin-off thread in the philosophy section to continue this conversation - rather than continuing it in the humor section - but you can't get everything you want in life.

If asked, I'd say that the best way to get a real handle on this would be to try and migrate the core ideas from this thread, and the one in the science section, into a unified thread within the philosophy section. Give everyone a fresh perspective and allow everyone to take the time to carefully rephrase their initial points on the topic - fully, and leaving nothing out, but remaining as concise in the initial post as possible. But like I said above, "you can't...."

It's also not my job to put out fires, should any arise. I just happen to find this discussion interesting in places. :P

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191506 by

you cannot make the case that religion has local boundaries or isolationism

The Vatican even has its own police force, but it also has a stockpile of religious texts and items it deems not needed to be seen by the general public.

More
8 years 10 months ago #194880 by Carlos.Martinez3
so...minus the Bible what are the "truths"? i wonder?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #194891 by OB1Shinobi
ideas do not have boundaries
and ideologues do not want to isolate but rather to indoctrinate

they usually only kill the ones they cant convert

unless you can demonstrate that every "religious" person who has ever lived is "such and such nonsense" then to say "religion is such and such nonsense" is incorrect

for instance - "religion makes people kill people"

well, there have been billions and billions of religious people who have never killed anybody

so "religion" does not make people kill people

ect

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
8 years 10 months ago #194893 by TheDude
Gisteron, you say "Religion has required and prohibited beliefs. Science does not."
You and I both know that science has required and prohibited beliefs. For example, the belief that testing and retesting will allow us to gain information. The physicist believes, presumably, in Newton's laws. The astronomer believes that we can determine the chemical composition of a faraway star based on the light it gives off. But you and I both know that all things in science boil down to "It is most often the case that x", not "It is the case that x".
One can be a Jew and say "I don't believe that some guy named Abraham wandered around in a desert talking to God and then circumcised himself". Though that might be seen as a required belief of Judaism. And, someone can say "I'm a Christian, but I believe that there is a time NOT to turn the other cheek" even though that might be seen as a prohibited belief of Christianity. Just as the astronomer can say "I don't believe in gravity".
Ultimately, the sciences deal with reinforced beliefs, and some are clearly required to participate in the sciences. That is not to belittle the sciences; all information any of us have is belief. No one actually knows anything. We have beliefs which we hold until they are contested, at which point we engage in doubt and inquiry, and form new beliefs because of that inquiry. Any form of practice in any field requires certain beliefs, and science is not an exception to this.

More
8 years 10 months ago #194894 by Locksley
I could also believe that the Moon is made of cheese, or that the Martian "canals" are home to an advanced race of green-skinned aliens. Science is a collection of testable ideas - yes, reinforced through observation and experimentation- but vastly different from a choice in whether or not to believe that a character from a religious text did or did not exist. There's really no direct comparison between the two, because one boils down to personal preference and unsubstantiated faith, and the other boils down to having an idea and attempting to prove that that idea remains consistently accurate under observation and holds up to counter-arguments placed by peers. In other words, the astronomer could say "I don't believe in gravity, but that won't make a mite of difference as to whether or not he continues to be drawn by gravity to the center of the mass of our planet. It would also make him a very poor astronomer.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi