List of scientists who became creationists after studying the evidence

More
8 years 11 months ago #191192 by Locksley

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna, Edan, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191196 by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xvILvxYbFA

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191222 by OB1Shinobi
A boy is selling fish on a corner. To get his customers' attention, he is yelling, "Dam fish for sale! Get your dam fish here!" A pastor hears this and asks, "Why are you calling them 'dam fish.'" The boy responds, "Because I caught these fish at the local dam." The pastor buys a couple fish, takes them home to his wife, and asks her to cook the dam fish. The wife responds surprised, "I didn't know it was acceptable for a preacher to speak that way." He explains to her why they are dam fish. Later at the dinner table, he asks his son to pass the dam fish. He responds, "That's the spirit, Dad! Now pass the f*cking potatoes!"

"Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market-place, and cried incessantly: "I am looking for God! I am looking for God!"
As many of those who did not believe in God were standing together there, he excited considerable laughter. Have you lost him, then? said one. Did he lose his way like a child? said another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? or emigrated? Thus they shouted and laughed. The madman sprang into their midst and pierced them with his glances.

"Where has God gone?" he cried. "I shall tell you. We have killed him - you and I. We are his murderers. But how have we done this? How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What did we do when we unchained the earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving now? Away from all suns? Are we not perpetually falling? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there any up or down left? Are we not straying as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is it not more and more night coming on all the time? Must not lanterns be lit in the morning? Do we not hear anything yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we not smell anything yet of God's decomposition? Gods too decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it?"

nietzsche

imo science is merely the religion of FACTS

but science is the most misguided knowledge of all as a religion because it focuses on "what things are" rather than "what things MEAN"

and on what we CAN do, rather than what we SHOULD do

ideology is dangerous, not religion

the ideology of nihilism for instance is dangerous - in the extreme

without god, why NOT send our neighbors into the ovens?

if you think that god is not necessary to instill a sense that life is sacred - and the sense that life, at least human life is sacred as being necessary to prevent the ovens - then i think you are wrong

what is not necessary is any particular interpretation of god

this one, that one, whatever

personally i really enjoy the vedanta idea of god playing an eternal game of hide and seek within all of us

i think its profoundly beautiful - because it is - and it unites us in a way that transcends all boundaries of culture and race and station

what we need to discard is the pervasive sense that "I" and MY IDEAS and MY RELIGION are so good that i can ridicule YOU, and YOUR IDEAS and YOUR RELIGION

be me or you a scientist or creationist

there is something intrinsic to the human psyche wherein we demand something to hold in awe

and we need some standard by which to measure ourselves and by which to judge our own actions

"the idea of the Holy" is as undeniable and inescapable to our essential nature as fear or sex or laughter or rage - it is a part of us

without some intelligently designed interpretation of precisely what that HOLY means, at least insofar as that we have a precise sense of the principles by which it implies we must abide, we will MAKE holy that which is profane - plunder and loot and the power to submit each other into obedience

the classic argument is "we dont need god to know that we should treat each other with respect"

i say: WRONG

we dont need any specific and dominant-above-all-others god to do that

but the idea that there is an intrinsic holiness to life and that life has worth BECAUSE OF THIS HOLINESS, with no other requirement, is EXACTLY what we need in order to value each other with respect and tolerance

without that idea, not only is there no real NEED to value one another, but in fact it becomes a BURDEN

WHY should i be bothered to acknowledge you in any more meaningful way than that you prevent me from getting what i want or can help me get what i want?

i shouldnt

the only value i place on respecting you is in relation to the direct material consequences and rewards of either choice

i am not at all promoting creationism

i think the big bang is better proof of god than anything any creationist could cook up anyway

"let there be light"

BANG!

lol

to get SOMETHING when there was NOTHING is an act of god, whatever terminology you wish to use

its stupid to try and keep the collective of human knowledge centered on the ideas of the past, be they god OR science

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

More
8 years 11 months ago #191324 by Carlos.Martinez3
Facts... which facts?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
8 years 11 months ago #191326 by Carlos.Martinez3
My thoughts is that regardless of "facts" we all see the same things, it's all a matter of what we choose to to see and how. Don't let the majority sway u. U choose and u do... u, the best u, u can be

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
8 years 11 months ago #191328 by Locksley

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191331 by OB1Shinobi
enjoy

https://www.google.com/search?q=creationist+jokes+images&espv=2&biw=1289&bih=639&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iiJNVaWxLfeNsQSV2ICIAQ&ved=0CDgQ7Ak

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #191332 by
A dead atheist is a person dressed up with nowhere to go/

More
8 years 11 months ago #191334 by Edan
That's not true, we dress up to look good for the earth when she sucks all of our nutrients back for herself :)

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #191349 by OB1Shinobi
the video above (that Khaos posted) piqued my interest and i have been seeing this guy everywhere i go online since watching it - this was presented to me and i thought it fascinating and inspiring

i dont believe in creationism or intelligent design as its presented - i believe in a sort of cosmic system/unity which makes us a part of a meaningful whole, not as owners or masters of it but as one of an infinite number of participants and imo thats just as amazing as any picture of any god

i think someone else may have posted this here at some time but its worth a second watch if so

A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZyVZBtP70

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi