I think a part of my soul died today.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 9 months ago #155448 by Jestor
I appreciate the humor, and that Jar-Jar race/species is not an actual species...

And while i wouldn't consider him a Jedi Master, I wouldn't pick on him either....

Feels like picking on the "special" kid, to me....:unsure:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #155449 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: I have never believed that the character of Jar Jar was created just to sell toys to children. In classical théâtre (Greek-Roman), characters with simple, un- or anti- intellectual profiles are often present, as un-assuming, perhaps un-intentional "help" in the heroic cycle. It is a sort of counter-part to the "Mentor" --

Reminds me of this chap:

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #155450 by Alexandre Orion
Yes, lad ! Well found ... :)

It also strikes me as particularly curious the way the "imbécile heureux" can be rather arbitrarily contextualised ; for instance, some of the same folk who find Jar Jar absolutely offensive also herald Rowan Atkinson's "Mr Bean" as genius ...

:laugh:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #155452 by
Thanks for that tzb, just read some of A Midsummer Night's Dream for the first time in over twenty years!

The one gripe I have with Star Wars is Han always shoots first!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #155453 by

Psyddhattha wrote: Thanks for that tzb, just read some of A Midsummer Night's Dream for the first time in over twenty years!

I'm off to see it in a few weeks as it happens. Love a bit of Shakespeare, and it's probably my second favourite after The Tempest.

Heartily recommend the Globe on Screen version which just came out (and their Tempest) - bloody hilarious.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by .

More
9 years 9 months ago #155464 by Kit
I'll admit it. I love Jar Jar. He makes me laugh :D

And while I think he's no Jedi, the Force has to be strong with him somehow XD he reminds me of the Padawan Zayne Carrick from Knights of the Old Republic (the comic). Who freely admits he has a 'special' relationship with the Force and everything he gets into turns out very similarly to Jar Jar's misadventures ;)

BTW, Lightsabers are a thing now. It was in the news:
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Alexandre Orion, ,

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 9 months ago #155607 by RyuJin
I like both trilogies...I've long since learned that before you can laugh at others you must first be able to laugh at yourself...mr bean was genius? I must have missed a whole lot of that annoying idiotic film...what a snoozefest....

@ kami, I read about that a while back and found it quite amusing...soldiers becoming little kids..disciplined training gone in an instant :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Alexandre Orion, Kit

More
9 years 9 months ago #155608 by Adder
The racial stereotyping in the prequels actually makes me quite uncomfortable, and is my biggest gripe by far. Jar Jar is a part of that, but otherwise he just looked fake and his presence did not seem genuine or well reflected among other actors. I guess they lost the spiritual depth, and someone decided to replace it with other tools of drama or something. The CGI meant everything looked way too clean, even when it was trashy, but considering it was at the height of the Republic I can live with that. I'm not a hater though, I loved lots too!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #155612 by

Nicole Judge wrote: Just to make you feel a bit better... :silly:

That was actually my cover photo on FB for a time, lol.

By the way, in case you all hadn't guessed this was just a joke. I actually like Jar Jar to some extent, however I do appreciate Alexandre's lovely philosophical response to it :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi