I think a part of my soul died today.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #155411 by
So, today I was insulted in the worst of ways. As a Star Wars fan, I was reading a Star Wars discussion forum. In this forum was a LOT of cool stuff, like a video in which Michio Kaku actually found a way to make a real, working lightsaber with technology that will be in our reach, in his words, "in less than fifty years". I also saw discussion on favorite Sith, which I enjoyed very much. However, the next thing I saw was so insulting that I almost wanted to smash my computer. I felt so horribly insulted that I had to take a shower while meditating to wash the anger out of me. What made me feel this way was a thread about the favorite Jedi Masters of the forum's many inhabitants. I read through finding many good characters for people to pick, then the horribly unexpected post showed itself to my eyes. The writer of this post, who I could not tell was trolling or just stupid, decided that his favorite character was a Jedi Master simply because he was the person's favorite character.

The character that I speak of, the one whose name shouldn't even be spoken, is.....

Attachment h2efee9b.jpeg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by . Reason: I accidentally placed the image attachment within the text.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 9 months ago #155413 by RyuJin
:sick: he who shall not be named...

How could they ever confuse him as a jedi master? :angry:

Everyone knows he was the greatest sith lord to ever exist :woohoo:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #155419 by
Am I the only who got the to the picture of Jar Jar and practically heard his voice saying, "Hewwo, mesa cawed Jar Jar Binks"?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 9 months ago #155423 by RyuJin
I heard him say "meesa okie day"

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #155434 by
Personally I believe in respecting all and also that I can learn from all so all could be considered a master to me, even Jar Jar. :woohoo:

More
9 years 9 months ago #155441 by Nicole Judge
Just to make you feel a bit better... :silly:

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #155443 by Alexandre Orion
I have never believed that the character of Jar Jar was created just to sell toys to children. In classical théâtre (Greek-Roman), characters with simple, un- or anti- intellectual profiles are often present, as un-assuming, perhaps un-intentional "help" in the heroic cycle. It is a sort of counter-part to the "Mentor" --

There is much value in simplicity ; as that is a surer avenue to the "what is"-ness of the Force than highly discriminating analytic rationalising ...

I'm often amused at just how strongly people revolt against this character ; if one is so insulted and outraged by this character, it is a pretty clear sign that we do not want to connect with that archetype in ourselves. Yet -- we must, and reconcile ourselves to the crude, the unsophisticated and the silly within us.

In the image above, do we really find some sort of Justice in that ? Can we really see that as "justified", just because it is Jar Jar ? It strikes me as pretty similar to the images we otherwise get of demonstration suppression and police brutality (but that's just me, maybe ...). :blink:

Tao Te Ching 20 :

Banish learning, no more grief. Between Yes and No How much difference? Between good and evil How much difference??
What others fear I must fear - How pointless!
People are wreathed in smiles As if at a carnival banquet. I alone am passive, giving no sign, Like an infant who has not yet smiles. Forlorn as if I had no home.
Others have enough and more, I alone am left out. I have the mind of a fool, Confused, confused.
Others are bright and intelligent, I alone and dull, dull, Drifting on the ocean, Blown about endlessly.
Others have plans, I alone am wayward and stubborn, I alone am different from others, Like a baby in the womb.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, , Llama Su, Kit, Nicole Judge

More
9 years 9 months ago #155445 by Nicole Judge
I totally agree with you; and to tell the truth a part of me actually likes JarJar, and also how in the Clone Wars series they gave him a bit more 'responsible' roles.
And not not forget that he was the one who directed Qui-gon and Obi-wan to the gungans who helped to destroy the bloquade.
So personally I don't have any problem with him. :)

That picture was only intended to be fun, no offence or anything. :side:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 9 months ago #155446 by Alexandre Orion
No, it is okay, Nicole ... I wasn't even responding you the posting of the image as much as I was to peoples' outrage at the character Jar Jar. Many find the Episodes I, II, and III to be just foul, with none of the heroic value of the originals (IV, V, & VI) and the presence of Jar Jar to be a desecration of the saga ...

I find neither to be wholly accurate, though I do suppose people have the right to their preferences. Nor am I saying that I prefer the pre-quels. I just look at the story as a whole and can see the interaction of the archetypal elements. But then again, most people do not inspect the story through Jungian-Campbellian (voire Voglerian) eyes, but more as cinema critics.

That's fine too ... The universe is really more populated by Jar Jars than by Obi-Wans. ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Nicole Judge

More
9 years 9 months ago #155447 by Nicole Judge
Oh, I'm sorry then :D But at least I expressed my ideas about the topic, too.

And about the prequels, you are right... I also encounter many people who share really bad opinions about them.
I also share some of their concerns, to tell the truth. For example, while in the sequel most effects were made by handmade stuff, the prequels are full of CGI (computer graphics), which I really don't tolerate; and at some places the script is a bit sluggish, too.
But the ideas expressed and the story itself is really great. I'm really looking forward to the new film; I hope it will express the same virtues as the previous ones. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi