Big life choices

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #89340 by
Replied by on topic Re: Big life choices

Desolous wrote: Unless you are going to die, following dreams later IS an option. I know, I did it.

You say "unless you are going to die", like we have another choice in the matter.

Yes, lifespan is the reason I cannot do both.

Even if I won a 100 million dollar lottery tomorrow, I'd be extremely lucky to make any progress towards my dreams before I die.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #89341 by
Man, you are being awfully oblique about this, denigrating honest answers to a vague question. I am only trying to impart an ounce of wisdom won over a hard fought life. Looking back, I wish that others had given me advice like this, and they probably did, I was just too stubborn to listen.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #89342 by

Rickie The Grey wrote:
I knew you'd say that. Your thoughts and beliefs limit you. Anything and everything is possible if you believe. You can find balance. It's tough but life can be and the best things are never easy.

What does your heart tell you to do?

There is a balance, I have it right now. Balance doesn't mean I am getting anywhere fast though.

My dream is like trying to build a castle from stone I gathered myself, by hand, using only my own labor.

That's a bad analogy but it's pretty close to it, in reality.

It can indeed be done, you can build a castle by hand with one person, but it's a lifelong endeavor.

It takes a lifetime of dedication to accomplish, all day, every day, for the rest of a mans life.

I wish I knew of better methods but I've looked and haven't found them.

Or I can just forget about my life's purpose and seek money, and die rich.

My heart tells me tells me to focus on my dream, but it also whispers how nice it would be to have money.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #89343 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Big life choices
Your priorities might change in the future. I guess there is sort of a balance to be found where you can try to prepare yourself financially enough for any decrease in your current ability to tolerate poverty. If you have existing assets perhaps create a trust and appoint someone to operate it until or if you return in 20 years etc...having reached your goal or changing path. If not, then I'd probably build that base first, and then go bush (proverbially).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #89344 by
"The Vow of Moderation: Balance is key to the life of the Jedi and moderation in all things contributes to this balance. Too little of a thing can lead to deprivation and covetousness. And yet too much can lead to greed and waste. A Jedi must strive to attain only what they need and desire within the bounds of reason. Too little or too much of a thing can be equally destructive and both leach at the peace and contentment of the Jedi."

I think that should help at least somewhat.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #89347 by

SeanChing wrote: "The Vow of Moderation: Balance is key to the life of the Jedi and moderation in all things contributes to this balance. Too little of a thing can lead to deprivation and covetousness. And yet too much can lead to greed and waste. A Jedi must strive to attain only what they need and desire within the bounds of reason. Too little or too much of a thing can be equally destructive and both leach at the peace and contentment of the Jedi."

I think that should help at least somewhat.

It does thanks.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #89397 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Re: Big life choices
Maynoth, there are two options you have, and no matter who, or how many people here, give a certain answer, its not going to make either one more right than the other. In short, nobody here has the actual answer but you.

Neither choice is wrong. It is not a right or wrong scenario. It is a "decide how you want to write your story from here and take away from the results all that either one has to give."

This is life - for all of us. :)

Also, regardless of what choice you make, its going to be tough. When it gets tough, remember something important. *points to my sig below*

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Proteus.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #89415 by

maynoth wrote: I'm faced with a serious life choice.

It's between pursuing a professional career, and money.

Or my dreams and poverty (relative to the standard of living I want).

Each path requires a sacrifice, and I don't really know which is more important.

To live a life filled with money and carnal pleasure, or to pursue my dreams and live below a standard of living I am comfortable with.

You guys seem to be more focused on real life than I am, so what are your opinions on such a choice?

I don't see a choice that you're faced with. Very (extremely) few things in life are mutually exclusive. I would think there's no reason you can't pursue your professional career AND your dreams. Sure, you'd have to limit one to a "spare-time pursuit"...almost like a hobby, but if your priorities are aligned correctly, there is no choice to make.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #89416 by

maynoth wrote:

Desolous wrote: Unless you are going to die, following dreams later IS an option. I know, I did it.

You say "unless you are going to die", like we have another choice in the matter.

Yes, lifespan is the reason I cannot do both.

Even if I won a 100 million dollar lottery tomorrow, I'd be extremely lucky to make any progress towards my dreams before I die.

Yes, you are going to die, but not necessarily tomorrow. The only way you don't may any progress toward your dreams before you die is to simply give up and not put forth the effort...which it's beginning to sound like you have.

oh, and, PS...a single man canNOT build a castle with no help. It isn't possible. Unless you only intend for it to be like 5 feet high. lol

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #89424 by

Alluvius wrote:
Very (extremely) few things in life are mutually exclusive.

My career (that I am looking at) will demand between 40-50 hours most weeks, and more than double that during mission critical times. I will be on call 24 X 7 when I am on rotation.

It will take me 15 year to develop the skills, and credentials necessary to land a job in this field.

I'll be approaching retirement age by the time I land a job.

My dream requires 10 hours a day (whole uninterrupted straight and continuous) , every day for the rest of my life. Right now it gets two days a week, and progress is extremely slow.

Right now at this moment I am trying to juggle a standard 9-5 job, a part time business and pursue my dream on the weekends.

The result is I am stretched too thin (time wise), I still have no money, and I am not making any real progress towards my dreams.

Sure even if I pursue a professional career, I will continue to devote as much time as I can towards my dreams as a hobby.

The reality is though that really means I've given up on them, as it isn't something a person can do as a hobby.

Yes I know this is a first world problem if there ever was one, and I should be grateful I am richer than 90% of the population on this planet.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi