Eating too much, not too little exercise causes Obesity - Article

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #68217 by

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #68224 by
Very interesting, study.
Not making light of this ...
Quite some time ago, I came up with the GMT- Global Molecular Theory-

It is as so... there are a finite number of molecules globally. They are in a constant state of movement.
So my theory is...when we cure world hunger, we cure world obesity...pretty simple , right. :whistle:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 9 months ago #68236 by ren

This suggests Westerners are growing obese through over-eating rather than having inactive lifestyles, say scientists.

I call BS on that. from personal experience. I used to eat a lot more than I do now (also it was french food plenty of pork sausages, cheese, butter and cream). But I was fit because I was active. Now I eat less (though I agree, still too much) and I've become fat.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #68241 by
Thanks for posting this. I am not sure that I agree totally though. For me I am a firm believer that it tends to be what we eat more than it is how much we eat. Most people in the west eat a lot of processed food. Those processed foods are chocked full of chemicals and additives that have a very bad effect on our bodies. Over eating is just part of the problem and not always the main one.

Just one example is aspartame. It is used as an artificial, non-saccharide sweetener and as a sugar substitute in some foods and beverages. It is now believed that aspartame effects the thyroid which regulates metabolism. If your metabolism gets wacked people tend to gain weight. I have read a few different places were they now think diet soda will add more weight in the long run than normal sugared soda. Mainly because of the thyroid being effected. You can also actually get aspartame poisoning which can be deadly and exhibits some of the same symptoms as MS.

In addition there have been MANY proven studies that type II diabetes can most times be reversed in as little as 30-60 days with a complete diet change and exercise. A good example of that can be seen in a documentary called ‘Simply Raw’.

Exercise is a HUGE factor as well. Most people who are over weight do not exercise. Now I am of the belief that most people do not exercise enough even if they do exercise. I must raise my hand that I myself am included in this category. I blame time constraints but I could do more and try to force myself to do so. I make excuses sometimes and that is a bad habit to get in to. My wife and I are mostly raw vegan. There are cheats here and there but not many. I was 100% raw for 30 days and walked about 3-4 days a week. I lost 31 pounds in those 30 days and felt better than I did in 25 years.

Everyone in my opinion should be concerned and involved with everything they put in their mouths. We really are what we eat and in order to be healthy we need to eat good food. Pretty straight forward but still very hard for people to do. Lifestyle changes are tough. So many people that I talk to about this, friends mainly, say "that would be so hard!". This is where I say BS. Do it 30 days and see how you feel. What is 30 days? And what if in 30 days you feel better than you have in a very long time? Would make it easier to stick with wouldn't it? Watch a documentary called ‘Food Matters’ if you are interested in our food related health issues. It can be found on Netflix.

This is just all my opinion and my experience, your mileage may vary :)
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #68242 by
@ Ren I think metabolism comes into play for that as well. I think for many people, as they get older their metabolism slows down, so even if you eat less and are active, you have to work harder to maintain the same weight you had when you were, say, 20.

More
11 years 9 months ago #68245 by Adder
Eating too much can cause a few issues, but exercising is important and also connected to eating. Exercise stimulates growth in both muscle and bone, and growth will take resources either from body fat or food.

Illness also demands energy, and so of course does normal maintenance and homeostasis. I'm guessing thought does too, but I'm not sure if that has more to do with blood flow to the head exceeding normal levels after extended maximum effort!?

As Hypatia points out aging should be considered, because the ability to grow muscle disappears at some point well before average age of death, and then later on its impossible even to maintain muscle tissue. The body works best with moderate musculature (in my opinion) because the bones and tendon's are not designed to take 'all' the load of working they are probably meant to be the skeleton for a developed and connected suite of muscles operating at tension - instead of using bones and tools to lean on and leverage to do work. So I think its important to develop a good relationship with exercise to improve one's physical capabilities but also to improve quality of life and health later in life.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #68248 by
Look, as far as I'm concerned... getting too little exercise OR eating too much, even with a proper amount of the other: it's unhealthy.

People trying to lose weight JUST by eating less are depriving themselves of exercise they need. Same with the other way around.

Plus, if you eat right AND exercise, you will lose weight SO MUCH FASTER.

More
11 years 9 months ago #68258 by Adder
It's a shame muscle takes so long to put on because to confuse everyone, I read muscle weighs more then fat and so if eating right and exercising, we might see the waistline decrease but the weight increase!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #68260 by
That's happened with me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #68261 by
I have lost and then gain because of gaining muscle. In fact I was a bit confused at first. Then of course it dawned on me and I felt a bit dumb :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi