Fasting

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315786 by
Fasting was created by
I do 48 hour fasts once every two weeks. During that time I try to meditate and contemplate on being a Jedi. I'm obviously losing weight (healthily). I also do 48 dry fasts (no food or water) once a month. I do this mostly for contemplative reasons and to remind myself that all that I have was there by the Will of The Force.

It gives me an appreciation for food, water, and pretty much life.

I was wondering if anyone else did this, and what your thoughts on controlled fasting?

May The Force be with you all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315787 by
Replied by on topic Fasting
Nothing that extensive, but I do intermittent fasting every day. Nothing but coffee with no sugars or water for the first 8 hours I am awake.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315789 by
I did intermittent fasting too, but I found I couldn't stick to it. I had to go hard core because it was the only way to keep me on track. When I break the fast, I do light eating.

Every other day I eat fruits and vegetables during the day and heavier food at night. It's from the Warrior Diet book and I seem to enjoy that a lot.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315792 by
I've done extended dry fasts as part of the Blackfeet ceremonial way associated with Sundance religion (what we call a "Four day" - comes out to roughly 60-70 hours without food and water, depending on the time of the ceremonies). It was a profound and beautiful experience, mostly because of how it bonds the community together and teaches you about sacrificing for others. I wouldn't - and probably couldn't - have done it without the Lodge's support! Some shorter periods for other observances - though I'm not around that community anymore to be able to continue that practice, I still fast every once and a while for both building discipline and appreciation and also giving my body a "reset."

I agree - you will never take clean water for granted after the first day you go without it! I really understood a lot about the sacredness of food, water, and community ties after fasting.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #315793 by
The first 36 hours in my first 48 hour fast was really brutal. After that, doing 48 hour fasts has been really easy. I remember my first meal I took to break my fast. It was steamed broccoli with soy sauce next to lemon peppered chicken. That broccoli was an explosion of flavor.

I like fasting to help me appreciate the variety of flavors food can produce.

I would have liked to have tried a group fast. That would have been an amazing experience.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

More
6 years 2 months ago #315796 by thomaswfaulkner
Replied by thomaswfaulkner on topic Fasting
The wife and I have been on a vegetarian fast for nearly two years now, if that counts. I also do a 48 hour fast (just water) on the last day of the month transitioning to the first day of the following month. I use my fast to realign myself to empathize with the suffering of the things we often take for granted and to focus my attention on gratitude. :)

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317704 by
I do this once every quarter of the year. 30 days straight is tough for me but I enjoy it at the end and feel accomplished. Nice to know i'm not the only one that does this.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #317724 by
Okay, since I'm not on the bandwagon, can I ask you to clarify? I'm assuming you're not going 30 days without any food.

More
6 years 1 month ago #317739 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Fasting
I really love the concept of fasting, specifically with regards to the appreciation I could see being gained from it for food and water. Also for the weight loss benefits. But actually working that into my life would be very difficult, if only because I always have things going on that take a lot of energy out of me. Maybe if I could start doing this once a week on the weekend, maybe Saturdays... hmmm...

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #317774 by

Locksley wrote: I really love the concept of fasting, specifically with regards to the appreciation I could see being gained from it for food and water. Also for the weight loss benefits. But actually working that into my life would be very difficult, if only because I always have things going on that take a lot of energy out of me.

Fasting can also just mean abstaining from certain types of food for an intentional reason (eating fish instead of meat on Fridays is a classic fasting observance). One of the diets I have explored before is the historic diet of the Knights Templar - due to the intensity of their activities, they did eat meat (unlike the rules of most of the similar monastic orders), but only three times a week (one meat-centered meal on Tuesday, Thursday and one to two on Sundays). This ratio of meat in the diet also been found to have other beneficial properties, so it's one I like as a long term dietary ideal, but it's also a nice short term way to be more observant about what you're putting into your body. So it doesn't have to be the no food (or no anything) fasts to have benefits. :)
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi