Qigong or Tai Chi?

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #319678 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?

OB1Shinobi wrote: ....Dont you think thats pretty arrogant of you?

For the record, I dont actually believe youre an arrogant person. And even if you were, its not like im immune to arrogance myself.

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #319679 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?
Thank you, I seriously appreciate that. And, my comment was... not well thought out. Clearly, when one is posting the 2nd edit of a post one should stop, reflect, and decide if it's actually necessary!

There is so much that can be said about all of this, but the over-arching point I think you were making is one I fully agree with. If someone wants to learn combat, they need to apply themselves to learning combat. There's probably a distinction to be made between combat (or competitive) fighting and self-defense, but really the best "martial art" for most people would probably boil down to something like practicing situational awareness and building up the stamina to run away.

Now, that said, the original purpose of this thread was meditation practices: which traditional martial arts can excel in providing (though so can simple Zen walking meditation). I do think that Tai Chi is perfect for meditation, and for overall fitness -- and it makes for a nice warm up before other, more strenuous, activities.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by Locksley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 weeks ago #319712 by
Replied by on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?
I've been practicing TaiChi for nearly a year now with a good teacher. And what I can say from my experience is that though the practice I am more aware of how my body works, Sometimes I can feel my muscles doing very fine movements that usually escape our attention. This effect is biggest while training but sometimes I also notice it in everyday life. The taichi style I practice teaches this sort of inner attention of being more aware of ones body. After the first class I could feel every tense muscle of my neck. Of course I'm only at the beginning and there is so much more to learn but I find it very good and helpful.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319836 by
I'm curious, of the people posting who practices Qigong or Tai Chi and who is posting with only intellectual knowledge of them?

On a voluntary basis, if you don't mind, at the beginning of your post state if you are practitioner or not. A simple + for practitioner and a = if you are not. thanks

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #319841 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?
What the source of the curiosity, if you don't mind me asking? And how about you, have you practiced either art?

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319893 by
I practice Qi Gong. Curiosity? It's my nature. :-) Why am I asking? To separate the opinions of those that do from those who those don't. I think it's important to understand the sources of information we allow into our minds.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319895 by

Rickie wrote: I'm curious, of the people posting who practices Qigong or Tai Chi....

I don't think I specifically mentioned in in this discussion, so: I've done Qi Gong as a regular part of training since fall '06, and have been introduced to Tai Chi in the course of that training. We are started with Hsing-I and Ba Gua (and other of the more intense internal styles) in the initial years of training (which is the first decade or so!) in most cases (ie, under the age of 60 and in decent physical shape). So I've only had a basic exposure to Tai Chi with studying the Chen Man-Ch'ing Yang Style Short Form during some of the winter training. I am starting to look at Chen style, which is better for the development we're going for.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #319897 by OB1Shinobi
Most of the people who have posted in this topic have already said or suggested that they do one or the other in some capacity. Not that this would make them knowledgeable about actual fighting, as is evidenced by the Tai Chi master in the video i posted. He has a lifetime of Tai Chi experience which he obviously felt was the same thing as fighting competence, but look what happened. Turned out that being good at Tai Chi wasnt the same thing as being good in a fight.

I havent mentioned anything about my history with TC, or with MAs generally (in this topic), and im also the one who said tai chi isnt a fighting system, so i am guessing that its me youre looking to discredit. If thats the case then just ask me whatever youd like. But ask me directly. I will be willing to answer your questions as long as youll agree to answer mine as well.

Whether its me or not, i dont get why youd ask this unless someone said something you think shouldnt be taken to heart. So id say to either own it or let it go. If someone has made a comment that you disagree with, and its important enough to you that you feel you have to draw attention to it, then why not just quote it and state your case?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #319912 by
OB1

I think I made my intent clear?

"Why am I asking? To separate the opinions of those that do from those who those don't. I think it's important to understand the sources of information we allow into our minds."

There is no hidden agenda, attempt to discredit or attack on anyone.

:-)
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by .

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #320021 by OB1Shinobi
Obviously the intent is to establish a hierarchy of credibility, Rickie. OBVIOUSLY.
But thats fine. I have nothing against you and no desire to argue. Its not worth the energy to explain the contradiction and its really not my wish to make this topic into a negative experience for people, so i let it go.
As ive said already, if anyone would like to speak to me directly about my own background, i am very happy to discuss my personal history with Tai Chi and with martial arts in general, as well as my experiences with actual, real-life violence. All of which are extensive enough to give me a credible/knowledgeable perspective about realistic expectations and training methods. And im not saying that im a major badass or a really tough guy. Only that Ive been through enough to know what real life fighting is about and what my actual capabilities are, and that you cant know these things until youve been through a certain amount.
If you think its important that youre prepared as possible for the eventuality of real violence then youre going need a lot more serious physical training than what youre going to get from Tai Chi. If youre interested in that then let me know. You can reply here or hit me up via PM.
At this point i figure i will see my way out of this topic for awhile. Peace to all.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi