Just cook it yourself ...

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #299385 by Alexandre Orion

And besides, my kitchen is much more agreeable than chip shop order counters ... :cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #299404 by Carlos.Martinez3
These special occasion foods become every day .... Ohhh Alex I love that . I love this !!! Thank u so much

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
6 years 8 months ago #299420 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Just cook it yourself ...
This is awesome, and I'm learning to prepare my own meals already :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299512 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Just cook it yourself ...
Something I very much agree with, and follow. No way I'd pay to eat out now unless I had to, and junk/fast food is completely out of the question unless circumstance makes urgency force it as the only option (rare).

I found after awhile I was making better tasting meals then I could buy, and I was able to exert much higher standards of quality control into their ingredients... not to mention hygiene standard assurances.

Eventually I was able to also find things which not only tasted great (also depends on available ingredients and their quality) but also relatively fast as well. So all things considered its often quicker to do it myself anyway, then going out. The only additional burden is the shopping phase of things, which after awhile also can be streamlined once you know what your getting and where to get it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Adder.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299513 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Just cook it yourself ...
Eeehhh....

I am perfectly capable of cooking delicious and healthy meals for myself (thanks dad!)

but shopping and washing up don't exactly thrill me.

There are pros and cons to sitting in my dining room alone, and I figure the purpose of living in this world is to live in it with as many other interesting people as possible - So I eat out about five times a week....

Having said that, I try to eat out relatively "well" - I don't eat out for convenience, or price.

Matter of fact, I'm eating out right now, as I type this, and talk to Brick in the chat (given the time zones, Brick or Proteus, sometimes Marta, or Joe, often join me for me evening meal :P )

and every meal I eat out, I help give a waitress and a cook a wage :)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302506 by
Replied by on topic Just cook it yourself ...
I couldn't agree any more! "When labor intensive foods that should be treats become an everyday thing..."
The brilliance of this advice is the simplicity and the effectiveness of it! I am a certified personal trainer and nutritionist. I am in the U.S. Army and I have the opportunity to help Soldiers regularly to maintain and increase their health and fitness levels. Sometimes people are looking for a quick fix, a cure all solution, or that one "elusive" secret. However, I tell people this over and over. Stop obsessing over calories and the crazy diets. Just cook your food (not microwave!) and eat moderately! It's not always in the single BIG things that we do but the consistent small things we do that make us great. I've been following and preaching this advice for years and it makes me feel better, look better,and perform better! (not to bad on your bank account either! lol)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303029 by
I like that advice and most times we cook ourselves. It is nicer to cook for two than for just one and more importantly eat with someone. Actually going out or eating fast food is something special which doesn't happen too often. The only exception is ice cream but in winter it isn't on my food list at all :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303033 by
I think you're right Adhara - and as JamesSand also noted - the clip seemed to miss out the social aspect of eating. For those who are alone, I imagine there is not much motivation to "just cook it yourself" - if true, that means that folks more at risk of feeling lonely are also more at risk of poor health through their diet too. And therein lies some action we can take. We can ask our work/school canteens to have a "Fries Free Friday"; or to use better cooking methods; or always include a healthy option on a promotion... whatever might be relevant to our own communities. This can go beyond our own homes by just speaking with one catering manager.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi