Neurobiology of sexual orientation and identification

More
6 years 9 months ago #286305 by Kobos

JamesSand wrote: Obi1....

You want to let an issue in the community...scab over a bit before you keep picking at it?
Banging away is....well aside from any insensitivity that may be perceived, a poor political move.

I think this stands as a valid point; We saw threads of discord between members on all level. I often feel as if I am out of place here when I push strongly on a topic as such; but keeping the peace where emotions are strong, and allowing the continuation of useful and productive discourse requires a level of unity. Until that unity can be restored the discussion shall only devolve, just for your consideration.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #292808 by ZealotX
I understand the sensitive nature of the topic and the video.

However, I think the video has given me a greater understanding than I had before. Do believe (still) that sexuality is often chosen or a psychological "escape" due to (possibly traumatic) events. However, it seems clear to me now that many cases are not chosen, and it is rather something physical that happens where the gender of the brain is somehow different from the body. That also makes sense to me. I think the problem I've always had was that everyone seems to speak for cases that aren't their own experiences. So two people might be homosexual but both don't see it as a choice even though they may be homosexual for two different reasons. I know someone who very effeminate and in counseling sessions he kind of blames the men in his life, not giving him enough attention. Personally, I also think it has something to do with wanted attention from his mother who is a tom boy and who has 3 girls. He has been picked on at school by guys who think anything that isn't "alpha male" is automatically "gay". All I'm saying is that the mind is a fantastic machine that can adapt to different environments. And I think gender is flexible and a means through which the body or mind can adapt.

If someone is reading this and it is not your experience, I apologize if you come under the impression that I'm talking about you. For me, it used to be all academic speculation. Now... it involves someone someone I'm close to and everyone is trying to decide what to do. Personally, I think everyone will come up with what to do or what not to do based on the gender they want him to be and represent. I just want him to love himself, no matter what. If he is, okay. If he isn't, okay. Just be you. I feel like, although many are exactly what they say they are, I think anything that becomes a box for people who don't feel like they fit into the traditional boxes, whether easy or not, will start to attract people; similar to other taboos. But I definitely don't think there's a one-size-fits-all approach that explains this phenomenon. And I definitely don't think anyone can tell you what gender you are with any degree of certainty. Apologies if I inadvertently offended anyone on this topic.

More
6 years 8 months ago #292819 by Breeze el Tierno

JamesSand wrote: Until then...well it's a bit like sausages. It seems great unless you're the one in the grinder....

I appreciated all of this post. But this bit was my favorite.

Please be mindful and compassionate when discussing another person's experience, especially people who are constantly forced to defend the validity of their own experience. If you don't get where they're coming from, that may have to be okay. But your object of curiosity is someone else's life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben

More
6 years 8 months ago #292873 by Brick

JamesSand wrote: Obi1....

Now I'm not fussed, but my heart could rival the grinch in terms of being a black blob of tar.

You want to let an issue in the community...scab over a bit before you keep picking at it?
Banging away is....well aside from any insensitivity that may be perceived, a poor political move.

As Sir would have us believe, it's about appropriateness and.....timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMDkzwl6ApY

Completely off topic, but can I just say how happy I am that you used the Bicentennial Man!

I was talking about this very film at the UK Gathering and nobody had seen it?!

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi