Neurobiology of sexual orientation and identification

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286124 by OB1Shinobi
Seven minutes; WATCH IT!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIULZOLS4BM

Changed the title of the thread because- feelings? Politics?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286125 by JamesSand
Obi1....

Now I'm not fussed, but my heart could rival the grinch in terms of being a black blob of tar.

You want to let an issue in the community...scab over a bit before you keep picking at it?
Banging away is....well aside from any insensitivity that may be perceived, a poor political move.

As Sir would have us believe, it's about appropriateness and.....timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMDkzwl6ApY
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286126 by OB1Shinobi
Just watch the damn video lol

EDIT

And what is it with you and bicentennial man?
Do you guys only have like four movies over in Australia? Its not even new lol

And dont you think your video is actually a counter to your written point? I mean is there ever a bad time for a robin williams skit? Thats hillarious.

People are complicated.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286128 by JamesSand
Yeah, I did, it's a good video :) , I'm just throwing up a protest now so I look good when the war crimes tribunal come after you :evil:

And is it with you and bicentennial man?
Do you guys only have like four movies over in Australia? Its not even new lol

As far as I'm concerned, nothing good has happened after 2000 CE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286129 by OB1Shinobi
Im willing to take my chances

As always, i consider the information to be more important than peoples feelings about it. Or about its timing. If id have waited id have probably forgotten. If someone wants to feel offended at me thats perfectly fine. Im not attacking anyone but its your right to interpret me however you see fit.

People are complicated.

More
6 years 10 months ago #286131 by Leah Starspectre

JamesSand wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, nothing good has happened after 2000 CE.

Mad Max: Fury Road was pretty awesome...

Also, great video, OB1! I wonder if that neurotransmitter can be tested not-post-mortem!

More
6 years 10 months ago #286132 by OB1Shinobi
You mean like, a volunteer and a hacksaw?

People are complicated.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286133 by JamesSand

Also, great video, OB1! I wonder if that neurotransmitter can be tested not-post-mortem!

You mean like, a volunteer and a hacksaw?

Hah. I spent most of the video (and the last half hour) pondering dicing up human brains.

Both in a kind of curious visceral sort of way, and also that - yea, knowing something was different in your head LONG after the fact is of absolutely no use to the individual affected.

I'm taking the video at face value for accuracy and truth.

I am...anti-diagnosis of most things relating to the brain I guess?

I mean, I guess there is a statistical "normal" of commonly occuring features - But short of "As to the exposure of children, let there be a law that no deformed child shall live." (Aristotle, would you believe?) - What do we do with the information and proof that some of us arn't within the acceptable range of variation?

Mad Max was better :D

Fun Fact: They have the same actor for the villain.

Another game: Guess where JamesSand is from? (The Sand should be a clue, ;) )

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286135 by OB1Shinobi

JamesSand wrote: Hah. I spent most of the video (and the last half hour) pondering dicing up human brains.

Both in a kind of curious visceral sort of way, and also that - yea, knowing something was different in your head LONG after the fact is of absolutely no use to the individual affected.

I'm taking the video at face value for accuracy and truth.

I am...anti-diagnosis of most things relating to the brain I guess?

I mean, I guess there is a statistical "normal" of commonly occuring features - But short of "As to the exposure of children, let there be a law that no deformed child shall live." (Aristotle, would you believe?) - What do we do with the information and proof that some of us arn't within the acceptable range of variation?

Mad Max was better :D

Fun Fact: They have the same actor for the villain.

Another game: Guess where JamesSand is from? (The Sand should be a clue, ;) )

Well, what we do with it depends on which "we" we're talking about. The point of "questioning the validity" of the trans experience was brought up several times in the other thread and tends to come up anywhere the topic of transgenderism is raised.

Now, first i want to say that people have to, and have a right to draw their own conclusions, and interpreting everyone who doesnt automatically believe what you want them to believe as attacking the validity of your existence is an inaccurate and extremely counter-productive interpretation. Also, nothing in the video settles the issue of the "mental illness" question. But the fact that the transgendered persons brain has a characteristic that is unequivocally correlated with the brain of their felt sex/gender is a powerful bit of information in regards to the point of validity. You cant say, for instance, that its just ploy for attention or that theyre just confused or that theyre deviant. Or a host of other asssertions that have been made.

Trans people have (at least in one single very important way) the brain of the sex they feel themselves to be. Thats an incredibly valuable fact to anyone is really trying to understand.

Of course, utilizing it means that you have to accept that there are differences between men and women which are biological and not merely socially constructed, so you maybe have to give up some of your social constructivist ideology- but thats a good thing because the ideology is wrong anyway. Science can help you understand the world way better than the sociologists can.

What?
Lol i dunno, the beach?
Tatooine?
Arrakis?
Willaim Baker's navel?
THERES A LOT OF SAND IN THE MULTIVERSE!!

People are complicated.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286137 by JamesSand
Questioning the Validity of someone else's experience is completely inane (I recall Kyrin and I having a completely civil discussion about it :dry: ) (Edit: Questioning their reasoning for it, or their statements is fine, but if someone says "This grass looks purple to me" - There's really nothing you can do about it /Edit)

Understanding Why they have that experience is...interesting.

Without a Goal at the end, it's all....academic.

So it still comes down to....the people experiencing any given thing, and how they manage with what they've been given.

I just want to....have sets of ellipses

....moving closer and closer to the left of the typing window.

You're right, it is good information, and eventually someone will come out of it all looking like Galileo.

Until then...well it's a bit like sausages. It seems great unless you're the one in the grinder....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi