On memory

More
7 years 11 months ago #245128 by rugadd
On memory was created by rugadd
I...

have studied quite a few things in my life, deeply...

But my retention...or maybe my recall? Is like a curse.

"So you've been in Shaolin training for 12 plus years? Wow, you must know ALL the moves!"

"I can do a lot of them."

"Sweet...can you name them? Or their application?"

"..."

Any advice on improving recall?

rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #245166 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic On memory
I like the idea of using a graduated path of learning which categorizes the things into layers of less complex attributes. They are not meant to be levels of analysis, but simple themes to aid association in the hope it facilitates conscious recall or use in subconscious processing. For example the lowest level could be color, the next one or two might be types of sound (which could increase into literally spoken 'words' as complex sound, and then perhaps add taste.

The idea is to use fundamental physical sensation because I'd imagine the body is designed to work with these most easily. So if learning was structured in such a way, it might improve the long term strength of them..... but it really will always seem to be a case of use it or lose it, and so what we can exercise the most will be the most accessible sets of information which we can use at any point in time, seemingly.

We can even relate this idea to the fiction in the smallest way, with the blade colors representing a functional symbol to others of particular specialization (rather then an earned status symbol or 'uniform'), them then betraying perhaps the systematic use of such a technique to better embody their learnings by using the color spectrum
:lol:

Otherwise, the art of memory ; " is any of a number of a loosely associated mnemonic principles and techniques used to organize memory impressions, improve recall, and assist in the combination and 'invention' of ideas. An alternative and frequently used term is "Ars Memorativa" which is also often translated as "art of memory" although its more literal meaning is "Memorative Art". It is sometimes referred to as mnemotechnics. It is an 'art' in the Aristotelian sense, which is to say a method or set of prescriptions that adds order and discipline to the pragmatic, natural activities of human beings."

Or I just accidentally found this, let curiosity define what you bother learning perhaps, maybe learning the wrong things for us makes it hard to recall them. Not sure if that relationship is real but an interesting idea, embodiment;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj1gxz5puaQ

If we can connect our core learnings into our perception of mundane activity, it might be like bringing the training into normal everyday life in such a way to aid memory but also continue growth! Crude example, when I was doing landscape gardening a few years back I would listen to language lessons in one ear and recordings of military flying exercise communications in the other
:lol:
Currency, reinforcement, altering the perception of ones habitat to be a learning environment etc. Perhaps have a set of memories you want to recall each night before going to sleep. I don't think we can remember everything perfectly though, but its a nice idea to have that the brain might have some fractal-esk capacity to stack information in at some ridiculous level of depth in such a way to be accessible. Unless you can find a way to access Akashic records
:blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #245179 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic On memory
When I cook I speak French. When i use carrots onions and celery I say mirepox, said (mear...paww)
I love some exhibitions of martial arts in many forms, especially when the individual knows and explains the moves and origin. This not only helps with a greater knowing and strength but a great way not to forget it... share it...tell some one...write it down... say it...that always helps me, and it looks like you know what your talking about...win win!
Serving the master TEA
Tiger claw stance
Crane
Repetition Repetition.... umm... oh yea Repetition! Smiley face

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #245196 by Yugen
Replied by Yugen on topic On memory
It is quite hard to remember the names of all moves, i have just started learning and practicing and i can only remember the name of the horse stance, a good way to practice their names is to say their name (internally or externally) before you execute the move. If you are in a duel or a practice duel with someone, then it might be good to just say it internally. I do know of a good video series where they name and show (at least the basic) moves of shaolin or kung fu at least.
Well, that's at least what to do about shaolin kung fu. But aside from that, practice and memorizing is good. Make a few cards, place the names on them and describe the things on the other side, so you'll practice their names and meanings. You could make a powerpoint or another picture presentation of pictures of the different things and have the names on the next picture

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Yugen.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 11 months ago #245204 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic On memory

rugadd wrote: I...

have studied quite a few things in my life, deeply...

But my retention...or maybe my recall? Is like a curse.

"So you've been in Shaolin training for 12 plus years? Wow, you must know ALL the moves!"

"I can do a lot of them."

"Sweet...can you name them? Or their application?"

"..."

Any advice on improving recall?

Were they named by your instructor for you?

Can you execute them?

HOw can you describe the horse riding stance?

"Feet slightly wider than shoulder width, back straight, eyes front, feet pointed toward the front, hands in fists coiled back into 'resting position' at waist, or slightly lower (tkd horse stance), etc, etc"

You were not "showed" a flawless horse stance, and then remembered, and imitated it from day one... It took some time...

I TAUGHT moves I dont have the names for, and I promise that doesnt have any effect on their effectiveness, lol...

I cannot name the (several escapes) from grabs, yet I can execute them...

12+ years? As a martial artist, you know that doenst mean anything.... lol...

Attachment h44673a5.JPG not found

The person who spent 12+ years in school probably doenst know everything they were taught in the educational system through life, why should you be any different?

Knowing your rough age, and assuming them close to it, can they name every move they do at work? Through out their day?

You are fine, somethings 'stick', and somethings do not... :)

Its normal...

MY favorite response, is, "it would take me longer to tell you, than to show you... Here, grab me.."

My favorite shirt?

Attachment h0705319.JPG not found

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garm, rugadd, , Yugen

More
7 years 11 months ago #245215 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic On memory
Thanks everybody.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #245221 by
Replied by on topic On memory
As you may have noticed I like to relate things to movie and television scenes. Part of why that is is that growing up my father would play memory games with my sister and I. He would quote a movie/TV show and we would either have to name the character, the movie, or say the next line. We'd do the same thing with music lyrics. It's something we still do now. Our family get togethers don't involve a lot of original dialogue. We have entire conversations in M*A*S*H quotes and KISS lyrics. :laugh:

It sounds silly but it really helped improve our memories in all areas, including martial arts.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi