• Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #231749 by
Replied by on topic Marijuana and its use

Riyuma wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

Riyuma wrote:

remo wrote: :( Marijuana is a drug it is that simple

False. It is a plant that has different uses...

Each of which causes a physiological change to the body or body chemistry, which makes it a drug.

Because wearing clothing or using paper made of it gets you high....[/sarcasm]

Besides many foods make physiological changes to the body or body chemistry, are they drugs? According to your definition they are. Doesn't add up.

Glue can be abused to get high, but that't not a reason to call glue a drug. Etc etc etc

thank you for looking at the word"Riyuma" if the word drug is not to your liking i can use the word plant
but the out come is still the same.
in my steadies i look at the whole picture and meditate on facts, not emotional issues
as to the right or wrong of marijuana it has it purpose
if a person needs it to help them along their time line of their life
so be it.
but i am for better oneself were i can.
i have enjoyed all the comments of the subject and thank you all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #257956 by
It has helped me tremendously with my ptsd. None of the medication the VA gave me ever helped. I was always sick or feeling sick and I was a total zombie. With the marijuana I can still function, but it still helps me be able to stay calm and think instead of becoming very agitated with any and all conflict.

More
7 years 6 months ago #258260 by Cyan Sarden
Here's my basic premise: just like cigarettes, alcohol and (to some extent) even caffeine, marijuana makes people lose control and focus. Control and focus are what I'm after, however, so I'm not a fan. I don't believe in a ban - I'm a libertarian at heart. People should be allowed to do whatever they please as long as they don't harm others with their actions.

That said: sometimes one wishes to forfeit control and accept any consequences connected with that (both positive and negative). In that respect, I'd personally prefer marijuana over alcohol, as the former has fewer adverse effects on me than the latter. I have tried both in the past - but, for the last 20 years, have not used marijuana as it's a banned substance here and have been staying away from alcohol as much as possible.

Marijuana is banned for the wrong reasons where I live. It's almost impossible to get it even for medical purposes. You'd have to severely break the law to get your hands on it. Huge numbers of people do, of course, but as a teacher, I try to be an example to my students and others, so I just keep away from all things illegal as much as I can.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

More
7 years 6 months ago #258269 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Marijuana and its use

To put as simply as I can, I do not believe in it's use for any reason unless prescribed by a doctor.

You might as well say "I do not believe humans should fly unless directed by a Wizard"

(Flying's not a metaphor for drugs in this instance, just "Don't do X unless Abitary Governing Body That's Not Me But I Trust For Some Reasons Says okay")

All drugs have use, and every individual has to make a judgment on if the benefits outweigh the costs.

And don't operate heavy machinery (Well, you can if you want, but when you maim or kill, or cause massive property damage, that's on you.)

Pretty simple in my world. Everyone elses's may vary.

Oh, and for the OP - I would say mind altering drugs have diddly-squat to do with the Force. Understanding of the Force as a master should be achievable without any stimuli - be it drugs, dream catchers, or soothing music.

Any form of addiction (To Heroin, Gucci clothes, or your Phone) is not any aid to the Jedi Path either.

Still, we're all human. You do you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258294 by
I have to chime in here. I've used marijuana most of my life, and have realized the good and bad aspects.
The only constant is that it affects everyone differently. Some people hate it, some can't appreciate it, some like it occasionally, and some love it. It makes some sick and some feel no, or little effect at all. It's impossible to get a general consensus about anything related to pot.
But when learning, be it reading or listening, it is an absolute deterrent. It clouds your mind so that no, or few, thoughts can be absorbed and remembered. Every conversation with another person has the potential to teach you something, even if only subtle aspects of their personality. And you might miss it if you're thoughts are clouded. It's best to avoid its use if you need to work, learn, or deal with people you don't know.
But when alone, or with your partner, it can give you insights into your thoughts and ideals. The same with meditating. It can help give you grand epiphanies. (But you may need to write then down before you forget them. lol)
I use at work because; I work alone, I been doing this work for almost 20 years, and it absorbs the monotony. But when I'm on this website, learning my path, I must abstain from its use.
So, as with all things, it can have its uses and ill effects, but you must be wise enough to know them and use them.
Thank You
May the Force be with us all

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258298 by Leah Starspectre
As a note: my opinion is a personal one and is based on a living in a country where medicinal cannabis products are legal and we're on the road to full legalization/decriminalization, and from a job where I spend my days analyzing disability claims for PTSD and chronic pain.

I think it's important to keep in mind that there are hundreds of strains of cannabis with different levels of active chemicals within them. There are also many different ways of ingesting in that bring different effects, positive and negative.

I think it's too early yet to make generalized statements about whether it's good or bad, or should be legal or not, and how it should be managed, and for what. Research is still ongoing. At this point, most effects that we will hear about are anecdotal, and even doctors tend to use it as a "last resort" when prescribing it for pain, PTSD and other chronic physical and psychological conditions.

I just don't think we should be in a rush to make the call on cannabis. Sure, tobacco and alcohol are legal and easily available, but don't you think that if they only came to light/popularity in recent years, they wouldn't have the same treatment by the legal and medical ruling bodies? Imagine booze was a brand new substance, how do you think doctors and cops would react to it?

As a species, we're older and wiser, and I think a bit of caution is not necessarily a bad thing. Overreactions and carelessness are there, of course, and they don't help matters, but it's all part of the process.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258300 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Marijuana and its use
I was a reader of High times for roughly ten years before I quit for a while to raise my neices. I learned quite a bit from that monthly publication, for instance it successfully treats individuals suffering from epileptic seizures, and although it certainly is not a cure (yet) for cancer, I have seen first hand the benifits of a friend who was stricken with breast cancer who used it reguraly.

This issue goes deeper than what alot of the posts here reveal, say for instance the reasons hemp is still illegal in the states. This isn't just about Marijuana, but the fact legalizing hemp alone holds the potential to end the worlds dependence on fossil fuels, forever. It's also exceptionally strong and can be turned into building material, preventing further deforestation. If one is legalized, in this instance the other must follow.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/cannabis-pdq
http://hightimes.com/culture/10-reasons-marijuana-legalization-cant-be-stopped/
http://www.wakingtimes.com/2012/06/27/the-hemp-conspiracy-why-u-s-hemp-farming-was-banned/

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Zenchi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258392 by
I have nothing to add regarding whether one should or should not use marijuana that hasn't been said here and on a million other message boards. However I was wondering about people's experiences with its use and how it effected one's meditations and/or spiritual connectivity (IE does it make this or that meditative exercise easier? Harder? If you feel the Force on a day to day basis does its use inhibit or improve that connection?). My personal understanding and experiences with such things (meditation/spiritual awareness) is extremely limited and I would be interested in reading other people's experiences and insights regarding such things and how they combine with marijuana.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270784 by
I think it's use is fine as long as you use it for the right reasons. Anytime you use it to escape or forget or feel better it's wrong you are creating a crutch for yourself and it will only make things worse by avoiding your feelings or your problems. It's all about your intent

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270801 by
As someone who smokes frequently for migraines, I am definitely pro-legalization for medical. In my experience it is much easier to meditate, and my experiences have been sharper and more prominent when in a trance. My pineal gland pulsates, and I can feel the Force around me. I do not need it to have a good session of meditation though. I feel the same way about exercising.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi