Coping with Pain and Stress

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209354 by
Replied by on topic Coping with Pain and Stress
Life is full of pain and stress. It sucks. Deal with it or be buried by it. Your choice. Don' t be whiny.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209377 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: some situations are especially difficult, and potentially dangerous, to navigate on the fly

how to help someone who is suicidal is one of them

this article addresses that issue

Warning: Spoiler!

link to full article
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/suicide-prevention/suicide-prevention-helping-someone-who-is-suicidal.htm

I agree completely, one should not react without the knowledge required to successfully navigate their situation, but that is why Jedi train mind and body, no? Sure, it's impossible to be prepared for everything, but preparedness can be something as simple as contacting someone who can help better than yourself.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209413 by
Speaking as someone who has dealt with pain and stress throughout her life to a great extent, be it physical (chronic pain/surgery) or emotional (PTSD, depression, etc), I just wanted to say that I think everyone who has contributed here has made great points.

I'd also say that just as with any discussion, I feel we should strive to have an open mind and embrace all of the wisdom that each individual and their own experiences has to offer.

I personally approach pain and stress with the mindset of one treating an injury. While you cannot run again right away on a broken leg, you give it time to rest and heal, then start to exercise and use it again. Acknowledging pain and stress is very important, as if we don't treat it properly it can drown even the most stalwart individual.

From meditation, to herbs, or even my favorite... a super hot bubble bath, surrounded by candles, with a cup of fresh tea and a great book. Take the time to do what you need to do to aid recovery, and then start working those 'muscles' once again. Take a run, speak with a friend, family member, therapist or even doctor.

I hope everyone else has gained some tools for their own journey through this discussion!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209471 by
Pain is transition-able, spirit is forever.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209478 by Locksley

Rickie wrote: Life is full of pain and stress. It sucks. Deal with it or be buried by it. Your choice. Don' t be whiny.

That's a pretty darn simplistic view of things. I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion of things, but not only is that sort of comment just plain annoying for most people with chronic illnesses (or, frankly, anyone trying to cope with pain and stress, chronic or not), but it's also presented in the statement format, and therefore as fact, when in reality there's no basis for believing it to be fact. At any rate, if you can believe in that sort of thing and it honestly helps you deal with whatever you're going through... bully for you, but it's trite and inconsiderate when just directed randomly at people who may not share your particular worldview and are doing the best that they can to deal with the issues they're facing.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Locksley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209479 by OB1Shinobi
@Rickie
i started writng this before Locksleys comment was there, if that makes any difference

what i am hoping to achieve with this topic is a sort of collection of "tools" so to speak, which people have found useful in their own lives

"dont be a baby" IS appropriate, sometimes, for some situations
but very often it does not meet the task of really being USEFUL, or ACTIONABLE for people in pain, and actuallybmakes them feel worse

in the worst of cases "dont be a baby" could even get someone killed, because its a very lonely and cold answer for someone who is really miserable

if someone is in a hole, theyre already aware of the solution "dont be in that hole"

now, Kit basically said the same thing, "dont be a baby"

but!

she also shared the context of how it actually worked and made sense for her in her life and her family responsibilities

so i would like to ask; has there been anything in particular that you can recall which has helped you transition through the pain youve experienced in your life?

if your words now had the power to travel back in time and come to you in some of your darker moments, what would you tell yourself?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209524 by

That's a pretty darn simplistic view of things. I mean, everyone's entitled to their opinion of things, but not only is that sort of comment just plain annoying for most people with chronic illnesses (or, frankly, anyone trying to cope with pain and stress, chronic or not)

Yes it is simple. Most solutions are. People and emotion makes things complex.

if you can believe in that sort of thing and it honestly helps you deal with whatever you're going through... bully for you,

Thank you and that is how I'm dealing with my situations. STRENGTH of spirit in what I'm all about.

it's trite and inconsiderate when just directed randomly at people who may not share your particular worldview and are doing the best that they can to deal with the issues they're facing.

A questioned was asked and I answered it honestly. It's not directly at anyone. If more people shared my view I think they would be victors not victims.

what i am hoping to achieve with this topic is a sort of collection of "tools"

This is my tool. Strength of spirit. You get it by practicing it!

so i would like to ask; has there been anything in particular that you can recall which has helped you transition through the pain youve experienced in your life?

if your words now had the power to travel back in time and come to you in some of your darker moments, what would you tell yourself?

My life has been filled with challenging situations and events. I could have dealt with them better back then. I survived the best I could. I got valuable experience and lessons. That's how I found strength.

I did.... sorry you don't like it.

Now if you've read this far...... I've had more than my share of: death, disability, family trauma, depression, I have three disabilities and live with chronic pain and fatigue DAILY!

Life is full of pain and stress. It sucks. Deal with it or be buried by it. Your choice. Don' t be whiny

This Is What I Do!

Sure glad I came here?

More
8 years 5 months ago #209559 by Wescli Wardest
Pain and stress…

I cannot say that I handle either one any better than anyone else. But, I do have a friend, Jestor, that has listened to my rants on more than one occasion. :P Sometimes it helps just to have someone listen to you rant. Even if there is nothing either one of you can do about it… just getting it out there and having someone kind enough to let you share it with them helps. Sometimes, I go for hikes/walks. And sometimes I snack. Yes, I know… eating is not a healthy way of dealing with stress. But we all have our week moments when a bowl of ice cream or a handful of curly fries makes everything seem better. At least for a few minutes. :P

But seriously, I would try talking with someone, doing something physical or meditating before snacking. Try. :P

As to pain. Not to sound mellow dramatic, but I live in pain. Every day. From when I wake till I sleep. Sometimes it’s strained muscles, old injuries, and arthritis, blown out knees, spasms, sinuses or just my eyes hurting from being awake too long. All except the arthritis is self-inflicted; due to a hard life of not being as careful or practicing the best injury prevention I could. Sure, I can blame a good deal of it on military service or manual labor at different jobs. But these are all things I chose at some point.

How do I deal with it? Aspirin, Stretching, hot or cold compresses, Naproxen, resting, Hydrocodone, wraps, hot showers, more stretching, getting Tiger Balm rubbed on (because of the wonderful people in my life that love me enough to take the time to do that) and good old fashion sucking it up and dealing with it. I wrote that sentence in the order I did to be amusing, but I honestly try to use drugs as little as possible. And only those that I have a prescription for. The sad thing is that my knees are so bad I have unlimited refills for some things that I just don’t like. (makes me loopy)
I heard something the other day that I found rather amusing and when I’m hurting and there is really nothing to be done about it at that point I tell it to myself… I look at myself, mentally, and say, “Geeze, really!?!??! Have a cup of concrete and harden up there buddy!”
Hahahhahha :laugh:

None of these are perfect. And for each person pain is different. I would suggest that whether it be pain or stress, talk to someone. Be it a dear friend or a doctor. And try to find a solution that may best work for you.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209569 by
Yes, you can poo poo the "Suck it up" attitude, but at the same time, I think people try to find tools in lieu of mental toughness.

I have done martial arts a long time, and it exacts a price if your training and sparring hard, no matter how careful you want to be.

Both shoulders, the left especially, sever limited ROM in left ankle due to a toe hold, tweaked elbows, in fact all my joints at this point click and grind. My fingers are swollen and have been broken, as well as toes.Such is the life of decades of MA and strength training.

Heres what the hands of top level BJJ fighters look like, and mine, while not this bad, are not too far off.

Tape helps. shoulder brace on the left shoulder. Tapping earilier than I did in my 20s helps a ton.

My body is constantly bruised, muscles are sore(especially as I strength train on top of the MA)

Like Wescli, I stretch, foam roll, hang, squat, massage, chiropractor, fish oil, ibuprophen,etc,etc.

Still, I deal with a constant level of discomfort due to my passion, and the only real way to avoid it, is to avoid doing what I love, although, at this point it will not get rid of the pain I have right now.

I deal with it. Nothing more to be done for it, and actually moving and exercise helps, to stop, would be worse right now.

The funny part, is that I am still in better shape and more physically capable than most anyone I come into contact with outside my social circle. Due to lifestyle, as I am constantly active, keep to a strict diet, and have developed a mid to high level of mental toughness.

Nut up or shut up may seem callous, or annoying, but I am in no way a stranger to chronic pain.

Stress, again, hard sparring and training in MA has helped a ton for that. I sweat it out, and grind it out on the mats 6 to 8 times a week. I talk with my wife of 19 years. I swear. Haha, really, it helps to just yell @$%$#!!!! as loud as you can sometimes. Sometimes I cry. Play with my son. Sit in silence, read a book. Sometimes I fall into uncontrollable laughter at it all. My job, in which people are constantly dying, in pain, etc, keeps my problems in stark perspective in regards to what others may be suffering and checks my pettiness.

My method is not really trying to force method and just let it vent out in whatever way and form it will.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210463 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Coping with Pain and Stress
I didn't post in this thread originally... and although the last post was a week ago.. today I felt in the right mind to reply... though in fact in this case the right mind is actually the wrong mind.

My moods are cyclical and there are some days like today when it doesn't matter what you say to me, there isn't really any coping going on... I get up, I go to work, I sit there for 8 1/5 hours then I go home.. but I'm not really there, I'm vacant.. and the only reason I get through the day is because I have enough will to move myself. I know that time moves whether or not I do, so I move. But, while they are appreciated, no supportive words, no funny videos or pep talks are ultimately going to change how I feel, and I will, and do, cry at the stupidest things.
I'm pretty good at hiding it online, so sometimes the person with the smiley faces or upbeat words is not a true reflection of the person behind the keyboard. There is no 'getting over it' until the mood has passed...

On normal days I create processes that help with the bad things.. phrases that give me support, I find meaning in what I do so the pain or stress doesn't matter so much, or I look to those I love for support.

But be clear, 'get over it' is not always a reasonable response, and sometimes not at all possible.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi