Coping with Pain and Stress

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #208675 by OB1Shinobi
The idea of this thread is for those who are interested to share methods weve used for facing the pain and stress of life

this can range from "a cup of green tea when im blue" to "i was still in prison when when my mother died, and this was how i got through it"

there have been several topics recently where people have expressed serious stress and pain in their lives

i am hoping to get a conversation going that will result in a sort of informational resource for the community of ways of coping.

to be honest, ive never handled the more tragic events in my life very well

my family was torn apart when i was pretty young, then rebuilt, then torn apart again, then rebuilt, and then torn apart again

these incidents involved addiction, physical violence, sexual abuse, illness, and death

no one in the fall out really had the tools to cope with these things, or to help the rest of us cope

certainly i didnt, and my "mechanisms" amounted to the development of childhood neurosis, and eventually, substance abuse

this really didnt work out well for me; the mistakes i have made have cost me A LOT in the way of quality relationships and personal development and professional advancement - i was well over 30 before i figured out that my life really is valuable, that if i am willing to make a genuine effort at it, i have something valuable to offer to the world, and that i am even CAPABLE of making a way for myself - really and truly the word HOPELESS best described how i felt about myself and my life for a very long time

here are a few ideas that i have discovered or come up with which make a huge difference in my ability to deal with tragedy in an effective way - and by "EFFECTIVE" i mean that i survive it with a minimum of destructive or self destructive binges

no particular order to these, im just kind of throwing stuff out there as it comes to me:

--

i had to learnt o accept peoples compliments

its easy for me to have a very demeaning self image and very degrading self talk

when people compliment me i always have felt uncomfortable

i wouldnt believe them, and i felt like what i was being told was just to make me feel better

even when i knew that i was being told something true, i told myself i was not really "anything special" - "anyone" could or would be/do whatever if in the same position

main things ive had to accept is that people are actually telling the truth as they see it when they give compliments, and also that these people arent just stupid morons who dont know "the real me"

when someone tells us something good about us it is because they see that there are good things to say about us

i still have a hard time with certain kinds of compliments, but generally speaking, now i just say "thank you" and i mean it - i allow myself to accept that they are being sincere and that maybe i really can be ___ (whatever it was that they said) even if only a little bit, for only a little while

--

i INVEST in myself - partly this means that i take care of myself as best as i can by eating somewhat intelligently and by working out

but most especially, what i mean by this is that i am actively pursuing specific goals which, even without successfully achieving them, will enrich me as a person for the experience

coincidentally, the things i am pursuing which will enrich me are also things that i really enjoy - i invest in myself and "follow my bliss" at the same time, by pursuing the fields and subjects that most interest me, to whatever extent i am able to pursue them

(in my case, working out is part of one of those fields, and eating right is part of working out, so that makes the general fitness "easier" for me, in the sense that it goes along with my "bliss")

i literally made a list of things that i really ant to be involved with, written out on paper, and then went to figuring out how to do something, ANYTHING, to pursuing at least half of the things on it

the internet has been a big help in this

--

even if i am not any good at it, i am committed to BEING THERE to help others who need me

having high self criticism and low self love, i have downplayed the positive effect that ive been able to have on others at different times in life

now i realize that there have been and will continue to be moments when i am the only one who is there, or the only one who is interested, or available, and that has been and especially that IT WILL BE - ME - who helps another person get through something really tough, really painful, really scary

i have a standing commitment to BE THERE, because someone else needs me, even if i dont see them right this second and even if i dont feel i am useful

in fact, none of "my" feelings of inadequacy or melancholy give me the right to NOT BE THERE for that other person who needs me

--

i recently learned about the idea of "the inner defense attorney"

i know that a lot of us have a real steady barrage of self criticism - like being very quick to put ourselves on trial for EVERY DAMN THING THAT WE DO

there are times when i cant make it into and then back out of out of the gas station without reminding myself of how stupid i am, and how unattractive i am, and how i am basically have never been or done anything worthwhile, and am never going to do or be to anything worth while

all kinds of stuff might set this off - im constantly on the look out for what ive done wrong and for how i dont measure up

so this inner defense attorney is basically a conscious choice to do the exact same thing, except in reverse

instead of telling myself how horrible i am, i tell myself "maybe its no big deal that i made this mistake" or "maybe its actually NORMAL to feel awkward when talking to certain people"

or "maybe in spite of all my short comings and weaknesses and faults, i actually can do a lot more good than harm in this world, maybe i can achieve something im proud of, and maybe all these little difficulties are worth that"

what this has turned into for me is that i have learned to catch myself - i will start to put myself down and i will (more often at least) realize that regardless of any accuracy to my criticism, which i dont even have any need to consider when it happens in this context, the REAL problem here is that i have a HABIT (like in the sense of an addiction or compulsion) of just being critical for its own sake, and so my JEDI DISCIPLINE now is to talk to myself the way i would talk to someone else

i would never tell someone how stupid and worthless they are because they forgot their wallet (or purse or whatever) when they left the house, or because they told a joke that no one else thinks is funny

the idea is not to delude oneself or deny areas that need work, the idea is to get the self defeating talk under control

as long as i am deliberately hurting myself, whatever means i use to do it is incorrect

so instead, the inner defense attorney is used to defend and to nurture and to encourage, and it is a conscious choice and discipline

---

when i feel sad i just let myself be sad - i dont encourage it or actively put myself down or wallow in it, but basically i guess ive learned that pain happens and it sucks but it doesnt mean anything is WRONG - it just means im in a bad mood, so, fine, Ill be in a bad mood if thats what it is and eventually i will be in a good mood, and btw, when the good mood happens i will allow myself to feel it as well --

--

so these are some of the main things that have helped me to deal with life

im not putting this out here for anyone to tell me what a great job im doing lol

these ideas have really helped me and i know that something in this can help someone else, and even more than just my little part of the story, i am really interested to hear from you as well (yes YOU) because i know that there is a wealth of experience and perspective here, and my hope is that by sharing, we all benefit

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #208678 by
Replied by on topic Coping with Pain and Stress
Man up and deal with it.

Seriously......

I know that sounds blunt and overly insensitive but its the gods honest truth. Many of the Minor and Medium cases that causes us pain and stress in life are things we ALLOW to cause it. It's a mental acceptance because we feel it will get us somewhere. Feeling sorry about ourselves, feeling like, if we mope around enough someone will notice, feeling like your justified....

Get over it.

Believe me. I realize it isn't as easy as those brash words might sound but sometimes it take a good brash punch to the spirit to realize that the only way we are going to feel truly happy, truly content, truly in control and truly without stress and pain is the day that we step up and take control of ourselves.

This is a time when the "There is no emotion, There is peace." line really comes in handy.

After a long day of everything going wrong...my children put the cherry on top by breaking the screen of my ipad. I was really not emotionally focused that day and I knew repairs for such damage simply isn't in mine or my husbands pocket book. We can't afford this right now. Stress is at an all time high with the promise of it getting worse before bed.

It was only until I managed to take in a deep deep breath and say to myself "Get the F*** Over it. You knew the kids would break it one day. You knew it was a pricey fix. You KNEW it was a risk the moment you handed it over to little hands. Get over it, grow up, and move on."

Now. Of course I am not saying this fixes all things. Of course I am not saying it is the only solution. Of course I am not saying that some people have real stress's and real pains that require a more sensitive approach. Of course.

But for those seemingly large and common things that build up during every day common life that tends to over flow some days.....I find its better to simply and bluntly accept that - If I want to be happy and I want to be in control....I need to grow up and get over it.

And of course if that fails....A good hot, salt bath. Candle (Preferably apple cinnamon MmMmm) and a book always does the trick ;)
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208683 by
Depending on the situation, I agree with you Kitsu. There are many things that we let get to us that are small or even imaginary.

Even I catch myself getting bogged down with things that when I just take a minute and think about them I realize that they're mostly just in my head. For example, my comic book store frequently has issues with their supply, they get shorted a lot. I am one of their oldest customers so I am very rarely affected but this week they had to short me the comic that I was most looking forwards to getting. At first I was a little upset. On principle it was a stupid thing for them to do, but in reality what does it matter. Oh darn, I might have to wait a week or two to read the new Avengers comic (written by Mark Waid though so it'll be AWESOME!!!! :woohoo: ). Does that really affect my life any? No. Is it really worth getting upset over? No. So I let it go. When it arrives it arrives.

When I do catch myself getting worked up, regardless of the cause, there are a few things that I do to cope. I have a specific playlist of music that always calms me, a few movies and TV shows that are very soothing to me, riding my motorcycle, training with my sword, repeating the code and creed, stuff like that.

You might also be interested in this thread about calming triggers .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208687 by
Well I used to have a much easier time at calming myself and rarely if ever got stressed out. I was the slow easy going earth ox that never let little things bug me.

But then I had kids

And those kids are getting older

And they are getting at eachothers throats and fighting, and yelling, and whining oh my GOD the whining!!! I can't even begin to explain how much the whining grats on me.....Its like one of those nails on chalk board pet peeves of mine that compounds on everything else and makes all those million other little things into really big major problems.

*Takes a deep breath*

Ever since it's been a whole lot harder to return to my old Earth Ox ways :whistle:

Triggers, meditations, music, cup of tea sensative nicey relaxy make myself feel all soft and warm inside things actually just makes it worse. It makes me feel like I've became so soft and so weak and so out of control that I've fallen so far as to needing coddling and hand holding.

Yea I know...Its not like that.

But it feels like that.

You could say that I am at a stage where I just need to go on a two week soul journey on my own....but that is not in my power.

Those two blunt words "Grow up" and "Deal with it" have actually been more helpful than anything else.

Because....At the end of the day....all of my stress and pain and frustrations are just a whole bunch of little things that build up every day and they are just what one has to accept when they commit themselves to the responsabilities of adulthood and most importantly Parenthood.

And don't get me wrong....I love my baby girls ;) <3

But I believe every parent can understand at least a little bit of what i am saying :)

More
8 years 5 months ago #208692 by Carlos.Martinez3
Life is grand.
That being said there is a verse in the good book, it rains on the just and the unjust the same Mat 4 45
When it rains in Rome do you know what they did? They got wet.

In the grand scheme of things we must remember that what ever we are "place your name label here" life will happen. Good or bad or just life. Love is great because we know the pain of hate. We guard and keep close due to hurts. pain and stress are only a small fraction of the grand design of life. Don't let hurts stop you. Hurts....hurt. receive it, and be thankfull you have a heart to hurt. remember why...it hurts....when you do this the joy comes! Why are you sad...beacause you loss some one. as is life, we come we go but your hurt is from the loss. Tell me of the joys you received from the one that is lost, that's why we hurt, because of the joy. The aww is from the yay! So remember the yay. what is it that was the yay with this one you lost, rather flood your heart with the reason you hurt rather than the hurt. Wash it , the hurt, away with the joy!
I really hope this helps. pm if you need.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 5 months ago #208710 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic Coping with Pain and Stress
Thanks for this thread Obi :) A couple of things spring to mind from my own experience. The first is that the toughest time to try to start dealing with pain, or stress is when I'm already in pain, or stressed. What I've found is that its all about the preparation work which I do when most things are going along just fine. I totally agree with your comments on working out, and having a healthy diet. I'd add learning / remembering to breath properly, giving yourself the chance (at least!) to get plenty of sleep and some sort of waking meditation practice. The temptation I've had in the past is to let all these things slip when things are going well. What I've realised is that these things need to be practiced when things are going well so they're easier to maintain when the sh*t hits the fan. Even if these 'disciplines' slide away when life sucks I'm still much better prepared to shoulder the burdens of pain and stress if the 'practice' or 'training' has been diligent.

Second, if none of that has been possible (for any reason) and its all getting too much, I try to remind myself not to give-up on trying these techniques again, at the earliest possible opportunity - even if I suspect they will not help instantly (and they probably won't!) - it's the cumulative effect that counts.

Lastly - I've used this for about 10 years now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ5MoMpT3_4
It was originally on a CD with a book called "Change your life in 7 Days" by Paul McKenna. Its (embarrassingly) self-helpy but it works for me - like a life buoy! Again, it didn't 'do' much for the first few listens but after about 5 listens it clicked for me . . . and I was seriously stressed at the time.
Oh - and you HAVE to listen to it with headphones - the binaural sections don't work so well through speakers :)

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #208729 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Coping with Pain and Stress
I just view it from a physical perspective to try to contextualize the psychological experience, something like... acronym alert, 'SAD';

Stage 1.
Stress - insufficient time or capacity to process workload, usually caused by direct accumulation or serious distractions, examples being physical pain, external demands on time, degradation of self etc. Increases cortisol output which starts to use up glucose stores, tending towards...

Stage 2.
Anxiety - cortisol deficiency leading to adrenaline domination and resultant discrodian search for focus, exhausting cortisol and glucose, leading to...

Stage 3.
Depression - cortisol deficiency plus adrenaline deficiency plus glucose deficiency, shutting down fundamental capacity to focus outwards.

A clean progression might though only be experienced by folk new to stress, as people already prior exposed to those stages I've noticed tend to sometimes end up stuck between stage 2 and 3 - where they think stage 2 is normal (because the adrenaline domination gives them some focus, its just not very controllable/happy) and spend their time trying to avoid slipping into stage 3.

For people in that 2.5 situation the stress is seemingly fueled additionally by the anxiety of being in that 2.5 stage, in addition to whatever circumstances pushed them there to begin with. So its a bit of a feedback trap, being in SAD makes you sad
:lol:
Had to do it, what good is an analogy if you cant make a joke of it :evil:

While meditative practises etc do help move the person backwards through the stages, without the isolation or new approach to the main causes - its always going to be fueling being 'SAD'.
:pinch:

A quick view of the types of 'distractions' fueling progression of being SAD, might be things like ongoing psychological 'complexes' created from previous experiences, physical pain/itch signals from the pain/itch pathways in the nervous system, or the external demands on ones time which degrade a persons agency of self, etc for example.

So that is how I view it. I just consider where I might be in that schema (self diagnose) and then self administer lifestyle/diet alterations with different types of contemplative practises or perspectives to try and help myself help myself.

I avoid medication where possible, but have noticed herbs like valerian, siberian ginseng, indian ginseng, true ginseng, licorice root, and something called Rhodiola rosea, seem useful - though these days people are so overdosed on sugars, fats and pharmaceuticals that the benefits of herbs are harder to 'feel' which means people either discount them or take too much of them - and herbs must be treated like medication as they do have the same problems such as the potential harmful interactions with each other and pharmaceuticals, plus sometimes a capacity for overdose and abuse in themselves... so always seek professional advice in that regard, but I'm happy to share my own experiences if they help as pointers for others.

But failing any luck with doing it myself, then don't feel bad for seeking help from others whether it be friends or family. I just think at the end of the day we are each the best healer for ourselves, we just gotta use whatever tools we can find and the most useful source for that would probably be of course professional advice or help.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209222 by Locksley
Well, "manning up and dealing with it" is bs, in my opinion. But It's not uncommon advice unfortunately, and in my experience it never actually helps anyone who receives it.

There is however a need to accept the things that arise. I find that people suffer more when they try to go against whatever's occurring with sentiments such as "this shouldn't be" or "I don't deserve this". Learning to try and see things as they come for exactly what they are helps a lot. The next step might be learning to hold some compassion for yourself in the situation - not wallowing in feeling depressed, but trying to realize that whatever occurs because of the upset is what it is, just like the event itself. Not being too hard on yourself or others is really important, because that usually just ends up bringing even more feelings of hurt to the surface, and makes the whole thing worse.

Awareness practice is easier for a lot of folk than active meditation (though the two are remarkably similar, and branch into each other with ease). When you're hit by a trauma, or even just by daily stress (which is often disregarded as a serious problem in our society), noticing how you feel really helps. Taking stock of and naming the emotions that you're feeling, and then following them as best as you can - not judging, just noticing what occurs. I find that this has helped me a lot more than I had originally thought that it might, and I've seen remarkable effects of it in other people. Getting out of your naturally judgmental state of mind and just trying to be aware, as best you can, of what is occurring, really helps. Over time you may even start to notice that the way you react instinctively, alters under your awareness.

I think what Adder said holds a lot of merit as well, and I agree that things like maintaining regular diet and exercise are extremely important to overall health. Some studies have pointed to increased levels of stress and depression in people living in urban settings as well, so getting some mandatory time in nature (and far away from electronics) might help. Reading (non-electric format) books helps me especially, so I make it a point of habit to bring a book to the gym and read while doing my half-hour of cardio every day.

Overall, making sure that your schedule includes time for exercise, good food, nature, reading, alone time, and socializing is always a good bet to helping stress reduce a bit, and can help with various physical issues as well.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Locksley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209227 by
Being a bit honest here, I didn't read through all of the posts here, as there is a lot to go through, but I'd love to toss in my two cents.

I think a lot of what causes stress and anger is expectation. People leave at a certain time to get to a certain place, and if they are delayed, they are stressed. I always leave early. Then my expectation is to be early. Worst case I am on time. But beyond this, removing expectation on the fly is an invaluable skill. You cannot affect things that delay you all the time. Perhaps you need to cut out a thing on your list, and do it another day. That's fine. Perhaps you will simply be late. That's fine. Or, perhaps something valuable has just failed on you. Let that item go, or find a reasonable means to repair it. Expectation really just holds you under sometimes.

Another thing I notice is people's tendency to get angry. I used to be this way myself, until I asked myself if it is productive. Does being angry help my cause or situation? No. It makes me look a fool, it impairs my ability to respond and adapt. I also find that understanding the imperfection of ourselves helps us not become angry at others, as we can have empathy for their imperfection and missteps, removing fault from that individual and anger from ourselves. This same method can be used to remove hurtful feelings from another's actions, or our own actions, as well. Did what they said offend me? Maybe. But why did they say it? Understanding this cause and effect does a lot for me, personally.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209298 by OB1Shinobi
some situations are especially difficult, and potentially dangerous, to navigate on the fly

how to help someone who is suicidal is one of them

this article addresses that issue

Warning: Spoiler!

link to full article
http://www.helpguide.org/articles/suicide-prevention/suicide-prevention-helping-someone-who-is-suicidal.htm

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Loudzoo

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi