Making of a Jedi Warrior

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #258232 by
Replied by on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior
Bjj has been doing the same thing in many cases. The way we roll in the dojo, or in visiting another dojo is not like doing so in a tournament. The rules do not allow spine locks, neck cranks, or reaping the leg if you are wearing a gi.

However, all of that is still taught and trained.

Same with Judo.

Competition usually hits the lowest common denominator in what is allowed, and in some ways I get it.

In BJJ, there has been a rise of submission only events that allow anything to be used and those are a lot more attack oriented, and in my opinion fun.

Technically, in 2016 there is no such thing as BJJ as it was in the early 90s when the UFC came out. Its as I call it(coined by Jeff Glover) "Mixed grappling arts" because yes, you see Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, etc, all incorporated in these days.

Then, there is always the Vale Tudo aspect of BJJ, which, you can still find the older guys that did it and will teach you some wicked stuff if you are willing to listen, suffer(always), and put in the mat time. Most of them are willing to share if you seem like a person willing to put in the mat time.

The information is still readily available for those intrepid martial artists who seek to keep improving their game.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #258331 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior
ive been wondering about going to another gym to roll, just as a way of checking my own progress against other beginners, but im hesitant because i dont know how people will interpret it lol

my coach has convinced me to start doing tournaments so i guess that will be my answer lol

i dont have a whole lot of money but im absolutely willing to pay in sweat! (and money too of course, i just have less of it lol)

i really love submission grappling; its the most precise (maybe scientific) way to fight

and like you said in another thread its just fun to wrestle around with friends lol

my intention is to just keep showing up and doing my best

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #262977 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1i1xBt9QKY

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

More
7 years 6 months ago #262980 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTKjCDVMm9o

People are complicated.

More
7 years 6 months ago #262982 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_RwyUF6hM

People are complicated.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #263971 by OB1Shinobi
Woman beats man [Brawler vs Jiu Jitsu bare knuckle fight]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBE3jH0WxSs

also

woman fighter Monique Bastos uses jiujitsu to restrain mugger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHR5-m4cwEo

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
7 years 5 months ago #263980 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior
I will keep this short as I am not what I would call a fighter anymore. I have fought to many battles on the misguided purpose of my own satisfaction. I know many friends who passed while serving ( I was medically disqualified before boot camp, (rotatory cuff deformity shoulders). In the fights I have fought in streets, I particularly don't like gangs and if that means getting my butt kicked to try and move them I will. Short of going to direct armed conflict with them, that puts to many others at danger. Through the different fighting styles I have learned it or it has become an awareness to me that defense and offense must be one in the same. With hand to hand or melee weapons a block is the opportunity to strike. With a fire arm (I was a licensed instructor and am an owner of several fire arms) the very responsibility of owning and carrying is understanding that in in and of it self as defense is an offense. I used to teach the Leo's and guards I trained, like I was taught by my father and the other veterans who trained me with fire arms. "If it leaves the resting position you must have the full intention to fire and fire first, and two once the bullet is struck by the hammer there is no stopping it, there are no do overs, no undoing what you have done only the consequences of these actions to follow." I also always tried to teach that if the gun is out trust your instincts and forget your emotions because they will throw you off, but with your instincts must come control situational awareness is your most valuable tool. Plus, I carried a .45 (first a 1911, my father's side arm from Vietnam, then the colt I later bought) for the simple reason that it can cut down on collateral damage which is completely ( hit with the first 3 and there is no longer a reason to shoot more) unacceptable to me except in War as there is in most cases there unavoidable circumstances in large scale conflicts. To all of you that served thank you very very much it is not an easy path nor one that is easily forgotten by those who have, but ignored by a good portion here (in the US citizenry).

Peace for you now,
Tim

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #264765 by OB1Shinobi
if youve been following the thread from the beginning then some of whats coming up will be repeats, but some of it is new and because these are fundamentals i felt like it was ok to go back a little bit

i once heard a coach say something along the lines of "people think that boxing is about how you use your hands, but GOOD boxing starts with how you use your feet"

that concept applies to all striking situations
footwork is how you control the space between you and the other person
controlling that space allows you to limit their ability to reach you and also allows you to identify or even create openings in their defense, and then move in and capitalize on them

In and Out

Warning: Spoiler!

Side Shuffle Step

id recommend turning the sound down to avoid the obnoxiousness, but this is an example of someone using footwork and head movement to totally outclass the other person, and what i want to point out is that the winner in this video doesnt really have very good punches, but they look like theyre good because his head movement and his footwork keep him from getting hit and also put him in a good position to throw back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L4bF30OyR4

heres a couple examples of "hit me in the face" street challenges

defensive footwork and head movement

defensive footwork, head movement, and blocking

head movement in training

People are complicated.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #264766 by OB1Shinobi
the long guard
the long guard 1

the long guard 2

the long guard 3 (muay chaiya)

People are complicated.

More
7 years 5 months ago #264767 by OB1Shinobi
parries

parries 1

parries 2

covering

cover 1