A martial art that can be learnt at home?

More
10 years 9 months ago #113888 by Nicole Judge
Hey there, guys! :]

I was always interested in martial arts but have no chance for learning them. Could someone recommend me something that can be learnt at home without going to lessons (as in my area there isn't really lessons).
I can search for materials but I don't know any martial arts - only Kung-fu, Karate, etc.
Please, I'd be very-very grateful to you!!

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #113897 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic "Know Thyself."
We could (and probably will) give you a list of all the martial arts you could ever possibly be interested in, but none of them are as important as this one lesson: learn your body.

Martial arts are arguably as much about self-knowledge as self-defense (especially in these "civilized" days), and truly understanding the capabilities and limits of your body's structure--how it moves, its flexibility, its strength, how it can move vs. how it can't--you'll be able to work out quite a bit of the basics on your own. In addition, learning your body's weak points often point to general human weaknesses (i.e., "hit them in the squishy bits" is universal among human opponents). Not only that, but it will help you to appreciate yourself more.

You can start on this now, while you're looking for a style to complement your body's range of motion. While anyone can learn any style, you'll find that once you understand your body's limitations, it feels more comfortable with some styles than others. The same goes for weapons--once you learn how your arm moves, you can determine which weapons will work and feel most comfortable as extensions of said arm.

I'll probably post later with a list of martial arts I enjoy, am interested in, or would love more information on. I just wanted to start off with this bit of information, because it literally changed my life in regards to fitness and fighting.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 9 months ago #113955 by
training in martial arts at home on your own is dangerous. I personally would not advice anyone to do this. You can end up learning improper techniques and injure yourself.

More
10 years 9 months ago #114035 by Nicole Judge
I thank you both!
Well Steamboat, it is a very good idea and I haven't thought about it, and to tell the truth I'm confused now. How should I be able to learn mi limitations? Maybe, if you said that it was an essential factor for you, it means you managed it, so could you tell me some advices?
And Mj Hannigan, I am totally aware of that, but due to the lack of possibilities, this is the only way I can learn them - unfortunately.

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...

More
10 years 9 months ago #114041 by Wescli Wardest
Most will tell you that to really learn something you need a master to help guide you. I agree.

But, there are times in life when we don’t have the luxury of traveling the traditional path. So with that in mind, I give you a decent Tai Chi video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Z4sQNQtJM

Watch it, imitate what you see, think about the names and meditate on the movements. Try to understand why it is the way it is.

If I can help any, I would be happy to. All you need do is ask. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights

More
10 years 9 months ago #114091 by Whyte Horse
I had a book I learned Tai Chi from here . It was clear enough to teach yourself if you're patient and can follow instructions from text. Sort of like working on a car with just the manual... WTF does adduct mean? How the heck do you put 10% of your weight on one foot?

Nowadays there are thousands of books so beware. Now that it's become a fad you can spend eternity reading fluffy books that teach very little. The book I linked to does the main positions for short and long form.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 9 months ago #114093 by Jestor
As a former martial arts instructor, the best way is with a teacher...

There are hundrends/thousands of little nuances that an instructor will suggest and correct...

That said, body awareness, spacial awareness, attention to the NOW are import aspects of martial arts..

Yes, offence and defence are as well, but there are more important aspects...

Watching a video, or reading a book is actually more helpful to an experienced practitioner, than someone new...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Wescli Wardest

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 9 months ago #114096 by RyuJin
There's always the possibility of creating your own style once you've learned what your body is capable of....each of us is different and therefore have different styles that suit us...and of course age and injury forces us to adapt and evolve our style....the more styles you learn the more adaptable your own style becomes ie: using a boxing stance and delivering a front kick, then using a kung fu push before delivering a spinning heel kick...

There's only so much that can be learned from a book if you don't at least have the basics learned first...everything stems from the basics....in order to soar one must first learn to walk...it's always possible to meet someone that may be able to at least show you the basics...I don't doubt that one day someone will put out a book with enough wording and pics to give a beginner a solid starting point....it's the whole showing and describing of the many little nuances for each position and movement that is needed.....in nearly 30 years of martial arts training I've only encountered 3 books that I felt would be great for a beginner...one of them is by the greatest martial arts innovator ever, bruce lee.....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #114198 by steamboat28

Nicole Judge wrote: Well Steamboat, it is a very good idea and I haven't thought about it, and to tell the truth I'm confused now. How should I be able to learn mi limitations? Maybe, if you said that it was an essential factor for you, it means you managed it, so could you tell me some advices

The best place to start is by what you know already.
Are you fast? Are you strong? Do you have good endurance? These sort of things help you start to narrow things down. Look at how you use your body already, day-to-day.

For example, I don't have a lot of upper-body strength, but I'm no slouch. I have a lot of lower-body strength, however. This means that I should either work myself out to gain upper body strength, or pick up a martial art that focuses on kicking. In this way, I'm either strenghtening my weakness, or playing to my strength. I'm also fluid and graceful--I move in arcs and circles and flowing motions whenever I can, and straight lines and abrupt shifts of direction aren't something my body does happily. This is the sort of thing that made me look at t'ai chi as opposed to karate.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by steamboat28.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #114200 by Adder
If it's only for self defense, I'd probably focus a lot on an engaged mind and defensive skill set. Awareness might be the first thing; as preparation can be ongoing, such as working out best ways to escape. With awareness also comes the best defense - avoidance.

If it cannot be avoided you'd want to up the awareness so they dont get behind you but also that you dont get pushed into a corner where you cannot escape. You can practise that specific type of awareness anywhere anytime using your imagination, if it is safe to do so. If your able to start doing it automatically it might help when things get out of control. One thing to remember though is attackers do also look for people who look afraid, so under normal circumstances curiosity is a better game face then fear when walking down a street IMO - without being engaging or actually curious!!

Then I'd probably start by learning and training in how to fall safely, and how to get back up again quickly to your feet. That said though, sometimes it might be better to stay down... so it depends on the circumstances of course. Next might be blocks, so you can know where hits might come from and be able to effectively try to protect yourself if your lucky enough to see it coming. Then perhaps some locks and throws if the attacker is unskilled and slow. There are video's on youtube for those things. The idea being so you can escape if you find yourself confronted. Remember to escape to an advantageous position, see above about awareness, not just running nowhere as you could make it worse. Fighting back seems risky too, as it assumes you have a chance and if not might make things worse. Intelligent disengagement would be my number one outcome, then its about getting protective help.

If though you want to learn a martial art's for health and fun, then try them all and see what clicks!!! Sometimes an associated culture can make it more enjoyable just as much as the actual knowledge being learnt.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi