Article - Obese From the Womb? The Shocking New Trend in America’s Weight Epidemic

More
10 years 11 months ago #107871 by Adder

Reliah wrote: There's also this, though...

Ah yes, they do say muscle is heavier then fat, good point!!!!

I wish muscle went on and stayed as long as fat seems to (for most people seemingly).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 11 months ago #107876 by Brenna

Reliah wrote:

For a pregnant woman, knowing what to eat and drink during pregnancy is a challenge.

This confuses me. While I understand that having access to the things you should be eating and drinking might be a challenge, what is so difficult about it? It's the same thing everyone should be eating, all the time. As much raw, natural food as possible - fruits and vegetables! And lots of them! Nutrition isn't as tricky as people try to pretend it is. We know what we "should" and "shouldn't" eat and we know why.

Sadly raw, natural food doesnt make anybody a lot of money so the message is pretty diluted. I dont find it surprising that people are confused. I saw an article in the paper just the other day proclaiming that raw food was potentially dangerous and the it was a better option to eat fortified refined foods. I leave to your imagination the scathing letter to the editor that followed.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107878 by

ren wrote:

Desolous wrote: as an american who weighed just under 7 pounds at birth who is currently non-obese, so do i.

Are you still skinny though? Or just non-obese?)

No, I don't think anyone would call me skinny anymore, though I used to be. I bulked up somewhat since highschool/ college. But most def not obese, under 10% body fat, abs, etc. I'll be sure and post one of those ubiquitous bathroom mirror shirtless selfies later for you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107879 by
I'd like to see the actual research to these studies, because I just don't think it's %100.

I think weight problems are not started until after birth. They have studies that show if you let a child regulate their own diet they tend to keep a normal weight. You know, like how a 4 year old can have and ice cream cone, take a few licks, and decide that's enough. We learn our eating habits from others. Some are told to clean their plates and ignore their overly full tummy. Other's see their parents diet when they're young and decide to restrict food only to trigger binges. People aren't fat because of what their mother's ate while pregnant, they're fat because there are sooo many different theories out there on how to eat healthy and they follow those theories instead of actually listening to their bodies.

Ooh chocolate cake! Do I feel hungry? No. Okay then I'll decide what I'll eat when I'm actually hungry.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 11 months ago #107881 by ren

I'll be sure and post one of those ubiquitous bathroom mirror shirtless selfies later for you.

Awesome. With a bit of luck Reliah and Brenna will follow suit :D

I dont find it surprising that people are confused.

Same story with all those other "how can yu best live your life" questions... People need sunlight to live better but sunlight can also give cancer... and all those people who write these books an articles make money out of telling you to do A instead of B only to tell you the opposite a month later.... they usually claim it's a new study, method, product, trend, etc...

And then on top of that, as you said, the actual healthy solution, like most good solutions, is very simple, can be totally DIY, and therefore not good for business.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 11 months ago #107885 by Brenna

ren wrote:

I'll be sure and post one of those ubiquitous bathroom mirror shirtless selfies later for you.

Awesome. With a bit of luck Reliah and Brenna will follow suit :D

Careful what you wish for...

*goes and digs out inflatable sumo suit*

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 11 months ago #107886 by Whyte Horse
it's the MSG. How can people regulate their food intake when everything has MSG in it which makes them hungrier and thirstier and shuts down the "my tummy is full" message to the brain? I always know when I've been slipped some MSG because I'm starving for 12 hours no matter how much I eat. I hate that. They slip it into your ketchup... your mayo... inject it into your raw food like chicken breasts... spray it on your fruit... man it's a war out there right now.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107890 by
Whyte, I tend to agree.

For my weight loss, I take Phendametrizine, which is a prescription-grade appetite suppressant. And, it serves to counter-balance a lot of the chemicals that tell me to "eat more". I've been pleasantly surprised throughout these past two weeks while on the drug to have a loss of that "need" sense. The weirdest thing: I didn't notice it beforehand.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107923 by
The article does state that it is a 'trend' rather than happening in every occurrence. It is saying that tendentially they will lean one way more than the other...

Desolous wrote: I'll be sure and post one of those ubiquitous bathroom mirror shirtless selfies later for you.

Do it now! :D lol

Also I checked on that chart and I am a 'healthy weight' apparently lol, I used to be 'underweight'

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 11 months ago #107928 by ren
It also depends on your age akkarin. Something the chart doesn't show. And obviously on your regular body structure. I have giant legs and strong bone structure so that "buys" me weight... Someone my weight but who's naturally skinny would be obese...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi