Article - Obese From the Womb? The Shocking New Trend in America’s Weight Epidemic

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107853 by
http://www.alternet.org/food/obese-womb-shocking-new-trend-americas-weight-epidemic

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I found this interesting

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107855 by
as an american who weighed just under 7 pounds at birth who is currently non-obese, so do i.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107859 by

For a pregnant woman, knowing what to eat and drink during pregnancy is a challenge.

This confuses me. While I understand that having access to the things you should be eating and drinking might be a challenge, what is so difficult about it? It's the same thing everyone should be eating, all the time. As much raw, natural food as possible - fruits and vegetables! And lots of them! Nutrition isn't as tricky as people try to pretend it is. We know what we "should" and "shouldn't" eat and we know why.

More
10 years 11 months ago #107860 by Adder
So we might have taste preferences from the mother! Its still our individual choice what and how much we eat though of course.

Lots of other issues could be at play but here are some definitions for an adult;

Underweight (white)
Healthy weight (yellow)
Overweight (red)
Obese (blue)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107861 by
I'm wondering about cravings during pregnancy. I know many women - myself included - who craved things they otherwise wouldn't eat (like hamburgers - disgusting!) while they were pregnant.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #107862 by ren

Desolous wrote: as an american who weighed just under 7 pounds at birth who is currently non-obese, so do i.

Are you still skinny though? Or just non-obese?

This makes it difficult for children to control weight gain

Normal children do not control their weight gain.

As to eating healthy, it's not that hard: eat like a hunter gatherer. No processed foods, no cereals (too much carbs, they turn straight into sugar, not to mention gluten, which is toxic to most humans.) (And I mean actual cereals, not just the Kellogg's kind)

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by ren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brenna

• ren
    Registered
More
10 years 11 months ago #107863 by ren

Reliah wrote: I'm wondering about cravings during pregnancy. I know many women - myself included - who craved things they otherwise wouldn't eat (like hamburgers - disgusting!) while they were pregnant.

Cravings are actually quite smart (or supposed to be). Your body knows what it needs and therefore decides what you want to eat.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107864 by

Adder wrote: So we might have taste preferences from the mother! Its still our individual choice what and how much we eat though of course.

Lots of other issues could be at play but here are some definitions for an adult;

Underweight (white)
Healthy weight (yellow)
Overweight (red)
Obese (blue)

There's also this, though...

Random google image. I have no clue who she is.

• ren
    Registered
More
10 years 11 months ago #107865 by ren

So we might have taste preferences from the mother! Its still our individual choice what and how much we eat though of course.

Not quite. The whole hunger thing is a lot more mechanical than you think. It's controlled by things like insulin level (which varies based on what type of food you ate, not just the calory amount, and insulin is created by the pancreas, not the brain) and how much you chewed.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107867 by

ren wrote:

Reliah wrote: I'm wondering about cravings during pregnancy. I know many women - myself included - who craved things they otherwise wouldn't eat (like hamburgers - disgusting!) while they were pregnant.

Cravings are actually quite smart (or supposed to be). Your body knows what it needs and therefore decides what you want to eat.

I've heard that before - they're indicators of nutrients your body is in need of. While I don't agree that a hamburger is the best way to get protein, the craving could let you know that protein is lacking. I think knowing that you don't need an actual hamburger, eat some lean meat and/or almonds instead, might make a huge difference. I could be wrong.. :P

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi