ASMR: Does anyone have experience with this phenomenon?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 days ago #106668 by
ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.
I heard about it for the first time on "This American Life" and thought "Yep, that's me!"
I seem to get set off at the sound of heavy wind through trees and the sound of ocean waves crashing.
Does anyone else have an experience with this phenomenon or know someone who does?
Is it a real thing?
For the record I'm not affected by the whispering experience, but I'm not judging.....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 days ago #106669 by Proteus
Yup. I have ASMR. A number of months back I think I even posted a thread about it when I discovered it for myself and researched it. :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 days ago #106670 by
I searched for the topic and couldn't find any posts..... if you wouldn't mind sharing, what affects you and how?

More
11 years 2 days ago #106673 by Adder
Here is the one I think Proteus refers; http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Health-physical-fitness-and-wellbeing/51230-a-tool-for-achieving-a-meditative-state#51230

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

More
11 years 2 days ago #106679 by Whyte Horse
I'm thinking this is the same set of nerves that allow us to detect barometric pressure changes?

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 days ago #106697 by
Happens quite often while meditating. kinda cool. :) It's a sign/stage that I'm meditating well but I don't dwell on it for long as it is a physical phonomenon.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107765 by
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holotropic_Breathwork
Has anyone tried this?

ASMR happens to me alot, Ive noticed chopped and screwed music also induces this feeling, but only for a second at a time.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 11 months ago #107769 by
Is this the same as the feeling I get when someone is explaining their injuries. It has been happening to me for a few years now, but when people are talking about getting an injury, I begin to get a shiver in the area of my body that they had their injury. It is an uncomfortable feeling but is not painful, although it does not feel good.

I know it is a psychological response I have to their injury, but I feel it so acutely. Weird???

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 11 months ago #107770 by ren
I get this (I guess) when listening to certain pieces of music. I think (in my case) it may have to do with a change in blood pressure/flow in my head (it feels like there's no blood going to my face).

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #110710 by
I do have that. Not realised what it was until now. Its usually a voice that triggers it off. The telling of a story and so on.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi