• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102757 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Re: Natural Medicines
I bang on about Valerian a lot, partially because I used to suffer from insomnia and partially because I think sleeping tablets are dangerous to your bodies hormonal balance (plus the zombie effect the next day isnt fun), but also because its quite effective. In studies that have been done its been shown to bve as effective as a mild sedative, and is even used as an ingredient in some commercial sleep aids.

The root of the herb is whats used to prepare sleep aids. The capsules work best if you have ongoing insomnia but the tea works really well as a general aid and to help you develop a good sleep pattern. Although a lot of people dont like the taste of the tea. It is a bit bitter, but I personally like it. especially if you add a bit of mint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(herb)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #102762 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Natural Medicines
Milk Thistle is supposed to be good for helping the liver heal itself. I'm actually about to have one right now!!!

Not because its a Friday afternoon and I'm going out to drink heavily later :whistle:
LOL, just kidding, honestly... probably.

Kidding, alcohol is no good in excess!!!!!!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Adder.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102784 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Re: Natural Medicines
cannabis, bee venom, garlic, honey, oregano, lemongrass, there's too many to list. Almost all pharmaceuticls are extracted from naturally occurring plants/animals.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102785 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Re: Natural Medicines
And it makes sense. Almost all pharmaceuticals are the result of attempting to synthesise natually occuring chemicals, because you cannot patent (and therefore make money off of) a naturally occuring product.

Asprin is a really good example of this. It used to be really expensive and was only made by a single company originally. When its patent ran out more companies started making it and it became a lot cheaper. It has many more uses than people realise but its not really pushed because noone makes a large profit on it anymore. I think someone may have already mentioned this but aprin is simply a synthetic version of willow bark.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102791 by Alexandre Orion
Magnesium (Mg) is very good for us ...

:cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago #102879 by
Replied by on topic Re: Natural Medicines
An emergency use of garlic...

If you have a hypertensive disease or are not going to be near a hospital (i.e. camping,hiking)take garlic along for the trip. Garlic can lower blood pressure by 20+ points immediately by chewing a clove or two.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #103620 by
Replied by on topic Natural Medicines
Sweet Oil for ear aches...

If you have an ear ache.. heating Sweat Oil, you can use Olive Oil for half the price, and using a dropper to drop a few drips into the ear works wonders.

Olive Oil for Acid Reflux

Instead of using an Antacid try a tea spoon of Olive oil
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by . Reason: Olive Oil/Acid

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi