Natural Medicines

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #102685 by
Natural Medicines was created by
Wescli and I were chatting in the shout box when he came up with the idea of starting a Natural Medicines post. I think it’s a great idea. So, if you guys have any cool Natural Remedies please share.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #102686 by
Replied by on topic Re: Natural Medicines
Honey, honey, honey…what can I say about honey…except that it’s awesome! Sweet and delicious, honey is an antibacterial full of vitamins and minerals. Its uses are many and varied:

Heal burns, cuts, and skin rashes: Just dab some honey on the affected area and cover with a bandage. You’ll be amazed at the results!

Cough suppressant: Try a hot lemonade when you’re sick by mixing a tablespoon of honey in with some lemon juice and water.

Energy Boost: Add a spoon full of honey to your water…you could even add some vinegar for an extra punch.

Honey is also great in beauty products because it retains water so well. They even say that if you eat unfiltered honey from your local area it can help with allergies. Really there are tons of ways honey can benefit the body. Maybe Whyte Horse will help us out by telling us more?

Honey

Honey Wiki

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102692 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Natural Medicines
I don't generally use or know anything about natural remedies...

But that said, I do know that garlic is great for colds and sore throats, as it is thought to have antiviral (as well as antibacterial and antifungal) properties.

If you're brave the most effective way of taking it is to eat it raw... ;)

But you can get garlic supplements and tablets if you're not keen on the whole raw garlic thing. I also sometimes make garlic tea...here's how to do it:

1) Chop up a clove of garlic into very fine bits. By doing this, you're activating the allicin in garlic that will combat the cold virus.

2) Add the finely chopped garlic to boiling water. Allow it to steep for a few minutes.

3) Allow the tea to cool before you drink it. However, for taste reasons, try not to let it get cold. It will taste better slightly warm rather than cold.

4) Drink a cup every day during cold and flu season or when symptoms appear.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #102695 by
Replied by on topic Natural Medicines
Essential oils. The original medicine. I know this isn't extremely specific, but there is literally an essential oil for everything.

A persons diet is extremely important when it comes to health. It's no secret that a diet rich in raw fruits and vegetables makes a huge difference. I know a handful of people going through cancer who have switched from a typical "American" diet to a raw diet. There's a reason for that. I watched a documentary once where a surgeon was baffled by people calling strict diets "extreme". His logic went something like, "So a strict, healthy diet is extreme, but major surgery and chemotherapy aren't?"
Now, if only I could follow my own advice completely.. :/

Anyone have any ideas about sugar addiction?? I've tried all sorts of things and willpower isn't my strong point.. :(
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #102697 by
Haha, ahhh sugar. I've heard that when your body is balanced in all the nutrients it needs it stops craving sugar. I've also heard (and experienced) that when you cut out sweets and instead eat healthy fruits you stop craving sugars.

When I ate healthy for lent I said I'd allow myelf to eat a bit of dark chocolate on the weekends, but I never did eat the chocolate I promised myself because I never ended up wanting it...and I LOVE chocolate. Sadly, I fell off the healthy wagon again and am now enjoying a Hershey's bar. :P

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102699 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Re: Natural Medicines
OOH! This is one of my favorite topics.

You are right there Reliah. I've worked for both the Breast Cancer Foundation and the NZ Cancer society and one of the things that even the most evidence based researchers and doctors here are saying is that even if you don’t believe therapeutic nutrition can cure cancer, we know for absolute sure that giving the body what it needs to support its own healing systems, and removing elements that trigger cell mutation and that activate defective genes, is a good thing!

Im not a trained professional by any means but I would consider myself well informed and have tons of books and links on natural or alternative therapies. Most of them nutrition based. (Plus a whole lot of natural skin care stuff :) )

Re: sugar addiction. The best resource Iv found for that is a book called Sweet Poison by David Gillespie and both the blog and E Book "I Quit Sugar" by Sarah Wilson.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102700 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Re: Natural Medicines

Wendaline wrote: Haha, ahhh sugar. I've heard that when your body is balanced in all the nutrients it needs it stops craving sugar. I've also heard (and experienced) that when you cut out sweets and instead eat healthy fruits you stop craving sugars.

That is true to an extent. There are two underlying issues with sugar. 1- Sugar feeds certain microbes in your body that upset your body ecology and keep you craving sugar. If this is an issue you actually need a period without any sugar at all, including fructose until the bug population is balanced.

2- Sugar in most people kicks off a dopamine response in the same way opiate do. Ie, for some people sugar = cocaine. There is a lot of hormonal balancing that needs to go on at the same time if this is an issue.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #102707 by
Ah I love topics like this. I'm a prepper so this is really important to me because wheb shtf, natural medicine will be your only option sooner or later.(just to be clear, I'm not a "zombie apocalypse" fanatic. Its all "just in case") I know of many good medicinal plants in my area. Here is a good link that helped me out.

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/09/30/most-powerful-potent-medicinal-medical-plants-in-nature/

Also, there is a movie called "The Beautiful Truth" that talks all about natural remedies and healing herbs. For example, willow tree saplings have the same chemicals in them that treat pain like aspirin. Just crush then up and apply to effected area with a little water.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #102709 by
Oh by the way shtf is an acronym for "sh** hits the fan"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #102747 by
Dandelions aren’t only pretty but they’re packed with vitamins. Such wonderful flowers you can even make a wish by blowing out the fluffy white seeds…but only if you get ‘em all.

Attachment dandelions.jpg not found

Dandelion heals the liver by promoting the formation of bile and by removing excess water. A good way to ingest it is by making a broth from its roots.

Dandelion leaves can act as a diuretic, a tea made from the plant helps settle the stomach, and the flowers are full of antioxidants…they can even be used to make wine.

Because they are also full of vitamins like C, A, B, and D they’re a great help to the immune system. They’re also a good source of Calcium and Potassium.

Some of the ways to ingest the plant are by making a yummy salad, boiling the roots for a broth, making a tea from the whole plant, or they even sell pills and tinctures for those unable to pluck their own “weeds.”

Backwoods Home
UMM
Herbal Legacy
Attachments:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi