"The Science Behind Meditation..."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 weeks ago #101453 by

Brenna wrote: Thank you for this.

I decided that Im not going to read the article (gasp!) yet anyway. I think that in many ways trying to understand the process of meditation is exactly what separates us from meditation. Im my experience anyway. The more I try to rationalise and intelectually understand, the harder it is to find stillness. Feeding the mind more information isnt always productive!

They say the same thing about music. The more you know about it, sometimes the harder it is to treat it wholly when performing. But, at the same time, there comes a time when you cannot get to the heart of the matter until deep understanding is found.

So, take your time to really focus, and then once that basic understanding is found, search deeper to find more revelations. The Dalai Lama certainly loves knowing more about meditation from the science perspective. He wrote a BOOK on it. http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Single-Atom-Convergence-Spirituality/dp/0767920813/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365114604&sr=1-1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #101455 by Adder

steamboat28 wrote: Does a scientific explanation for the act help or hinder your thoughts on meditation? Is it necessary to explain why it works, or is it enough that we believe it does? Does this further your belief in the practice of meditation, or is the sciencey bit just an add-on?

I love to know more, and knowledge gives contemplative power. All my distinct meditations are bracketed either side by contemplation and relaxation, so its like the more I know the more I can work with to go deeper etc. I don't think knowledge of its action is needed to justify it, especially if it generates positive results.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #101550 by

Connor Lidell wrote: You know, for me, meditation is self-explanatory.

Focus is something we all need. It goes without saying that it would help all the things it's listed to do. Why worry about specifics unless you're worried about a specific symptom?

I see it like taking vitamins. One just does it because we know it helps SOMETHING we probably don't get in this day and age. Meditation helps SOMETHING. It connects with the divine, helps our stamina, concentration, etc.

You can look into it more if you want, but no it shouldn't "affect" the way you do it or why.

I really like this analogy, Connor, because I also can think of meditation "like taking vitamins". In addition to what you already said, I feel that meditation, like a vitamin, is a supplement to your life.

Meditating by itself without exercising, eating properly, and learning will amount to very little. However, meditating along with these other healthy methods will allow your life to flourish.

I really should meditate more, but I honestly admit that I don't have very much discipline for it. Usually, I meditate when I'm feeling stressed or tuckered out, but I neglect it when I'm feeling spiffy. I personally have to work on meditating through thick and thin, since it's best that way.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #101660 by
I've found that meditation is a really odd thing. Somehow the body or mind demands time to recover and to process recent events and thoughts.
I have a good opportunity to observe my "need" for mediation, at the moment. When I'm at work and do more physical than mental work I have little need for meditating or special time. However when I'm at the university and learn most time of the day and think about mathematical problems or whatsoever, I have a stronger need to calm down and give my mind some time to relax and to process all the things I've encountered this day.
So I believe meditation is a need of the mind, similar to physical exercise. When one sits all day long one comes to a point where the body demands physical exercise in any form. Meditation works very similar for the mind, at least for my mind. I can't say that I meditate regularly but since I know how to interpret the signs of my mind I can react properly. That's how I perceive meditation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #101733 by
Thanks Sean!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 weeks ago #101979 by

steamboat28 wrote: An article at io9 discusses "the science behind meditation, and why it makes you feel better."

Does a scientific explanation for the act help or hinder your thoughts on meditation? Is it necessary to explain why it works, or is it enough that we believe it does? Does this further your belief in the practice of meditation, or is the sciencey bit just an add-on?

I don't need to know the science behind meditation. It's nice science can tell me good things are going on but I think some people focus on that rathering experiencing meditation. It just takes time. All good things do.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi