"The Science Behind Meditation..."

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #101426 by steamboat28
An article at io9 discusses "the science behind meditation, and why it makes you feel better."

Does a scientific explanation for the act help or hinder your thoughts on meditation? Is it necessary to explain why it works, or is it enough that we believe it does? Does this further your belief in the practice of meditation, or is the sciencey bit just an add-on?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 weeks ago #101428 by
You know, for me, meditation is self-explanatory.

Focus is something we all need. It goes without saying that it would help all the things it's listed to do. Why worry about specifics unless you're worried about a specific symptom?

I see it like taking vitamins. One just does it because we know it helps SOMETHING we probably don't get in this day and age. Meditation helps SOMETHING. It connects with the divine, helps our stamina, concentration, etc.

You can look into it more if you want, but no it shouldn't "affect" the way you do it or why.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #101429 by Alexandre Orion
But, isn't the point to get beyond "explanations" ?

Even beyond the notion of it 'helping something' ?

Sort of like when a cherry blossoms grow, their purpose is not to 'make a cherries', albeit that usually comes about, the cherry tree isn't thinking of it as a step ...

Or when birds or insects fly, do they stress about where they're going, when they'll get there or if their aerodynamics are correct ? Possibly, but probably not ...

Meditation doesn't have a 'why' we can just conveniently skip to be in conformity to Watts. It is as cherry-ing, flying or people-ing -- we just do it as is, not as part of a conscious process.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 weeks ago #101430 by
Thanks for that Alexandre! I was trying to get that across in my post, but you're more eloquent than I. haha

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #101431 by Jestor
+1 for eloquence to Alexandre...;)

I knew whaat I read, and I found it very helpful, regardless of that, lol...

If you do not know what meditation is, such as myself, then how do you know if you have acheived it?

For years I have worried that I do not do it... Why should I do it, any of the questions one asks themselves...

I stressed over it, stressed over the lesson here at TOTJO... COnnor, it is the reason my studies at IJRS stalled...

Because a regime is followed there that does not make sense, and when I question it, I was ask if I had even tried the prescribed lessons...

"No, I have not... What is meditation, what is it for , why should I do it," blah, blah... Was my response...

It needs defined for those of us who do not understand what it is... WQhat it is supposed to do, the whys, what, how comes, and blahs to follow...

You know what?

I have been doing it my whole life...;)

Im very good at it...:)

Not sitting still, that one is still very tough...

I do it by moving, my martial arts...

By body does not get the 'sitting still' side of it, I am working on it to see if I notice a difference...

Many conversations with ,many members tells me that I am doing it...

I am into self hypnosis... It is the same thing according to the lessons I studied...

Once it was defined, and I knew what i was doing, then I realized I knew what it was, what it felt like, why i was doing it... Blah, blah...;)

You do all sorts of things before you know what they are, and when defined for you, you say really?

YTou do not have to know what something is called to be able to do it...

I didnt know walking was walking as a baby, but I practiced it, and then did it...

The same goes for many things... we knew one lego brick and one lego brick makes two lego bricks, but we thought we were counting, not doing math...

So, for some, the definition is very important...

How many times have I been seen to ask how someone defines something?

Because unless we speak in similar terms, we will not communicate.. lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 weeks ago #101434 by
Jestor, I applaud your application of meditation in your life.

You're so right that you don't need to know what walking is to be able to do it. Meditation is similar, and it is a natural state. The one of focus.

What isn't natural? The way we synthetically fabricate our lives. Animals live in a constant state of meditation, perfectly in tune with the nature around them. Evolution is meditative. It adapts and is aware. Awareness is what meditation is about. It's knowing everything pertinent to your state of being.

I bet if animals could speak in a way humans could, they'd initially say nothing. Only over time would language spoil them.

Maybe it's time to live a little silence. A little awareness.

I think from these times of contemplation come the greatest and most useful thoughts.

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #101437 by Alexandre Orion
Yes, you are right, Jestor ... I'm sorry for the vagueness. The question (and certainly the questioner) deserved your answer more than the bloody mysticism I spouted.

:blush:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #101442 by Jestor
You know, seriously, its very "now", and if you try to always live in the "now", then you are very "meditated"....

lol... Very hypnotized...;)

It is a very interesting state... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #101446 by Brenna
Thank you for this.

I decided that Im not going to read the article (gasp!) yet anyway. I think that in many ways trying to understand the process of meditation is exactly what separates us from meditation. Im my experience anyway. The more I try to rationalise and intelectually understand, the harder it is to find stillness. Feeding the mind more information isnt always productive!

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #101447 by Wescli Wardest
Oh... you said "The Science Behind Medit ation..." I thought you said Medic ation!

And I was like no thanx, I'm fine! :woohoo:

Monastic Order of Knights

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi