Editing Rights Question

More
6 years 3 months ago #311928 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Editing Rights Question
Great good gods, I'm not even sure where to begin or what to say.

I didn't see the original issue, I'm gathering someone posted about another website and one of our mods edited it to link to his libel website?

This is not the kind of etiquette I want to see in this community and I do not support it. Thank you Mad for getting involved. I've put myself on a mini vacation until Tuesday, but couldn't miss seeing this when I went to share some of my crafts and some work I'd promised a while ago.

Anyone can complain about an issue they see. It's what we do to help each other and support each other. It's a part of our Knight's Code "I will defend the helpless" and I'm sure if I went into our Doctrine I could find bits there too that support that. We all have the right to question what we feel might be wrong. Sure there may have been other ways to handle it but I feel Opie did it professionally and not incorrectly.

Folks, please feel free to ask about problems and issues you see. To me, or any other Knight you feel comfortable with talking to if you don't feel comfortable posting on the forums. This is what we need to foster the kind of community I feel like we are trying to grow into. If we're not open to criticism, we won't go anywhere at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Manu, Avalon, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #311931 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Editing Rights Question
I would also like to point out that situations like this can be avoided and minimized by the establishment of and respect towards a clear line of duties, responsibilities, and rights to the leadership roles of the site, by all members of leadership and consequences therein...

Maybe something to consider discussing in that whole Pax Templi thing you guys are working on behind the scenes or something similar.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Nakis, Kit, OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 3 months ago #311932 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Editing Rights Question
So far there's mockery, tearing down, and libel. The notion that merely because someone says they're a Jedi, or an organization has Jedi in its name, makes them good and worthy and entitled to respect is a pile of sour owl poo. There's other questions and issues I'm not ignoring just not addressing yet. One at a time. This is not directed at a single person but several. If the shoe fits ....

Please show me any statement that is not true on BecomeTheFarce.com - if it's all true with verifiable references then please explain how it's mockery, tearing down, or libel (libel must be a false statement).

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311933 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Editing Rights Question
Again, you missed the point of the thread, John.

The question at hand isn't to discuss the validity of the content of the site you created.

It's to discuss the validity of the action you took in moderating a link to redirect to your site in lieu of the site it originally linked to, because you personally don't like that original site.

Yes people have commented their opinion about your site, but that's still not the actual issue at hand...

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 3 months ago #311934 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Editing Rights Question

Br. John wrote: So far there's mockery, tearing down, and libel. The notion that merely because someone says they're a Jedi, or an organization has Jedi in its name, makes them good and worthy and entitled to respect is a pile of sour owl poo. There's other questions and issues I'm not ignoring just not addressing yet. One at a time. This is not directed at a single person but several. If the shoe fits ....

Please show me any statement that is not true on BecomeTheFarce.com - if it's all true with verifiable references then please explain how it's mockery, tearing down, or libel (libel must be a false statement).

I may have the definition of libel incorrect, I meant it to be more "mud slinging" than anything. But I don't have the spoons or care to go fact checking because it just doesn't mean that much to me (I didn't read more than the titles on the page). But this isn't about respect for another website, this is about respect for OUR website, TotJO, how we handle things here, how we respect our members and rules, and how we respect ourselves.

As a personal note, I do appreciate websites that put the time into fact checking and making those facts available. Snoops is one of my favorite places to visit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Avalon, Zenchi, OB1Shinobi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #311935 by
Replied by on topic Editing Rights Question

I don't go on your site and tell people your issues or criticize the way you do things.

Two things. First I didn't tell anyone your issues. You have clearly made those known by your responses here. Secondly, if I am acting out of line and abusing my administrator abilities - then not only would you be more than welcome to criticize, but the members would support you in doing so (as seems to be the case here, thankfully). Of course I'd need to actually abuse that responsibility first. But by all means. Swing by my place.

That would be rude.

No, it would be honest. It would be fair. It would be holding Jedi and Administration accountable. Besides - you make it seem like I came here. Sought out a post. And then made an issue of it. I replied to a post, noticed edits. That made me curious. And I noticed the transgression. Decided to ask about it because it directly impacts me as a poster here.

You could have PM'd me and asked about it. You could have PM'd member affairs about it.

Do you know why it being public upsets you? Because you know what you did was wrong. If you truly felt that what you did was okay, you wouldn't respond in this manner. Yes, I could have kept things under the table. But that is not my style. I saw something that I found issue with and I asked if it was the norm. Because that directly impacts my own involvement with this Community. I post here too (albeit rarely), so having understanding of how loose the editing rights are for mods and admins is a direct concern. Especially since I have in the past been a part of forums that would edit and change and even delete posts of its members at the whim of those in-charge. And I am not going to invest my time and energy into a place if that investment isn't respected. So I asked.

The only person with a right to complain is the poster.

lol No. All members here have a voice. And it is their right to speak up when they see something questionable happen. If I saw a person being robbed, I can still report that to the police - it isn't only the victim with the right to complain. Not only that but anyone who posts on this website should have a honest concern of editing at a whim. Sure it is his post today - might be my post tomorrow and another's post the day after. Staying silent because it didn't happen to me is not only logically flawed, but just never going to happen.

Have another drink

Really? How old are you again?

As for the rest - the other people seem to have understood my concern (nod to Jedi Kit and Jedi Light). What is the accepted level of moderation at this forum? That has been answered to a certain level. Along with appropriate action of editing done according to the standard posting rules of the website. In which I express my appreciation to the mature Jedi involved in that (Special Shout Out to Jedi Light and Jedi Hatter). As I said - you are allowed to make and dedicate whatever resources you want to websites mocking other people and groups. That isn't my concern. Only the apparent misuse of admin ability. Which again is simply something I wanted to know for myself so I can adjust my own involvement as necessary.

Thank you TotJO Knights and Mods - appreciate the response. May the Force be with you. 0123456789
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311937 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic Editing Rights Question
End result:

Is the way this was handled by leadership appropriate?

If not, how do we go about fixing it?

Are there currently things in the works to address the issue already?

What can be done until such things are released to advance the goals of community building?

Edit: This is my basic OODA Loop for this stuff. Did we observe something inappropriate, we orient on the issues at hand and how we can address it, we make a decision on what is currently ongoing and what we can do to improve, and then we act to support the desired result.

Licensed Clergy Person
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Nakis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , Avalon, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311940 by
Sometimes people that have no knowledge th history can have a more objective perspective Ob1.
Knowing the specifics is not necessarily compulsory as all human conflicts emanate from the same patterns.
I didnt order anybody to do anything but it is true I incited.
Whatever the nature of the conflict compassion is always a good answer where there is pain.
For some my action was bad for some it was good.
I appreciate your feedback.

More
6 years 3 months ago #311944 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Editing Rights Question
Speaking of moderator abuse, Master Opie, how about the entire site you deleted with no way to recover it? Years of posts and discussions gone. I was correctly moderated here. Our system worked. I'm 57 btw.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311945 by
Let me begin by saying that I am disappointed that these issues continue to pop up, and I don't think it has been handled as well as it could have been up to this point. It is my duty as a Security Officer and a Knight Adviser to weigh in and attempt to explain in the most transparent manner possible how we are addressing this issue at the Council level, so here goes...

Nakis wrote: End result:

Is the way this was handled by leadership appropriate?

There was a variety of responses and non-responses from various leadership, so I need to be specific. Br. John moderated a post and changed a URL link. This action is not explicitly defined as right or wrong in our site rules, but the various opinions from members and some leadership here show that some deemed this action inappropriate, and we need to address this with the current review of our policies. It must also be pointed out that this action was taken by our President and Founder who has full moderation privileges that he can choose to use at any time.
While the rules still certainly apply to him, it should be noted that as Moderators, we also have to police each other as fairly as possible. This takes courage, good judgment, and regretfully also some political finesse. MadHatter, as a Moderator, Councillor, and VP of Membership Affairs took said action and edited the original post again to be in line with our current policies for posting external links. Kit has expressed her opinion as a Councillor as well, and I commend her for being vocal about the issue quickly.

I am offering my personal response here and now. This is a problem that needs to be addressed. There is additional conversation that is taking place among other Councillors, but until we can address it openly as a group, we will not be able to offer a consensus or official opinion of the Council on this. It is being addressed though, and it will be taken into account as we make adjustments to our policies and create the Pax Templi document addressing acceptable behavior here. According to the way Council is run, we need to have these frank conversations and come to an agreement via vote on policy changes. These conversations can be contentious and heated, which is why we try to keep them out of the otherwise relatively peaceful environment of the Temple.

Nakis wrote: If not, how do we go about fixing it?

It will become a discussion point as we address the current website policies and procedures as well as the expected behavior of members and administration here. Everyone has their own opinions and they all need to be heard before we rush to conclusions. That includes opinions expressed by the membership in the recent poll as well as comments in threads like this one. It is a lot of information to consider.

Nakis wrote: Are there currently things in the works to address the issue already?

Yes, we were already working on revisions to the rules and regulations currently in place. The issue of appropriate moderation has been raised a lot recently, and as a Security Officer I take this issue very seriously. We want to get it right when moderating, and we're trying to create more fair and more clear guidelines for all moderators of the site.

Nakis wrote: What can be done until such things are released to advance the goals of community building?

First, discussions like this are helpful to Councillors as we attempt to address these recurring issues. I appreciate the attempts by all here to keep this conversation polite and constructive. Please continue to do so, and if you find yourself getting angry or emotional, please take a moment to collect your thoughts before responding. Together, we are all seeking a place that is engaging and challenging, but also fair and compassionate. It is a difficult tight rope to walk at times, but please know that it is always our goal to make this Temple a place people can enjoy spending their valuable time in.

As part of my responsibility to you all as guests, members, and fellow officers, I encourage any of you to PM me with your concerns or post your questions in response to any post I make in the forums. Sometimes conversations are better held in the privacy of PMs, but I also understand the need to inform everyone of what we are actually doing to address issues like this as they happen. I will always do my best to be honest and forthcoming with the information I have available to me.

At your service,
~Senan

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi