Editing Rights Question

More
6 years 3 months ago #311946 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Editing Rights Question
I think threads like this show me some of my faults because I find them very entertaining. Especially how despite the best of original intent, and attempt to hold that intent, it always comes down to degrading other Jedi and a contest of who is the better Jedi and who is more "mature" or not etc etc.

It actually reminds me most of the episode of the "orville" recently where they visit an un-developed planet and everyone has these badges they wear. These badges have an up arrow and a down arrow, and anyone can click these arrows but yourself. So if you do a good deed and someone notices they can bump your arrow up and this improves your reputation. If you do something rude or mean they hit the down arrow and you loose this score. You can also get someones ID number and do it remotely over a phone app too so if something ends up in the news on TV as it did in this episode, millions of people can down vote you. Once you get to like negative 8 million or something you end up on a tv show with a chance to give your story and seek forgiveness and whatnot but if during the final vote phase you hit negative 10 million you get "reconditioned" which is something similar to shock therapy until you are not yourself anymore kinda thing.

The original issue is on the moderation itself, of which has been said multiple times in the last couple weeks in a few different threads a clear cut set of rules of conduct and also relating to moderation is being developed and the first drafts are actually done, hatter has done to my understanding an amazing job on it but also had some helpers, and it is currently under review of quite a few other members of various rank as well and when its agreed upon will get posted accordingly, until then it's not so clear cut and is still up to the interpretation of anyone who has moderation rights.

That being said EVERY moderation action CAN be reviewed, and as it has been said quite a few times as well those requests are done via formerly Private Message to any of the moderators or a Councillor. This act has NOT to my knowledge been done other then the creation of this public thread which is not the way it should have been done. Once this request is made a thread goes up in a private area of the forum with a copy paste of the requests, a link to the thread where the moderation took place any evidence of such and discussion starts then. It also usually filters over to the council chat which is connected to every council members phone so we are all very quick to be notified and begin discussing etc, which is a new improvement on things and pretty impressive. (We had a moderation request come in the other day and within about 15 minutes of that request a majority of the council was involved in discussion of it which was very impressive to me).

The request once reviewed is decided upon, in some cases reversed, in some cases reinforced, but more importantly learned from, grown from, evolved from, much like all of our experiences and lessons in our lives and our training wherever that may be. No one individual is infallible, here or anywhere else. So the whole Jedi maturity, lets loosely walk around who is holier then thou pissing contest that happens under the table and guise of a legitimate question and strive to look out for the "underdogs" and the "Jedi everywhere", or try and appear to be the "savior" can stop now...I vaguely remember a saying from someone that stated there wouldn't be any drama or problems if everyone would "Be a Jedi".

I feel like too many people worry about how their actions "look" and less on what are the appropriate actions period. A Jedi does not seek fame, does not seek glory, does not seek gratitude, does not seek to instill chaos. Your request Opie is totally legitimate, and is important to how you post I'm in full agreement, that's not even in debate. But I feel there are better ways to have done that then what has transpired. However its here, its done, lets ALL learn, grow, move forward shall we?

All that being said I will start the formal request for review on this point and we will proceed from there. In regards to the editing rights original question, the rules will be made more clear and more obvious here in the near future when those are done being revised and reviewed and made sure we have had plenty of different perspectives on it so that we have met the best interest of our community as well, and to be patient as a lot of big steps are going on at the council level and improvements to the training programs and a ton of other things that are in work and progress which like all things, takes time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Avalon, Zenchi, OB1Shinobi, MadHatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311961 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Editing Rights Question

Flojade wrote: Sometimes people that have no knowledge the history can have a more objective perspective Ob1.

The objectivity that comes with being ignorant does not make up for the ignorance.

Knowing the specifics is not necessarily compulsory as all human conflicts emanate from the same patterns.

Knowing the specifics IS compulsory. In what domain of activity is it true that you can fix problems which you do not understand?

This might look reasonable to you if you are totally ignorant of the history. If you understand the history, this moment is Trump being absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTwmvi-6muA

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #311962 by
Replied by on topic Editing Rights Question

Speaking of moderator abuse, Master Opie, how about the entire site you deleted with no way to recover it? Years of posts and discussions gone.

1.) There was a way to recover it actually. Ez-Board had a feature for Gold Boards at the time which backed-up forums and allowed you to restore everything with a click of a button. The fact that those in-charge chose not to disclose that information and instead played the 'Oh No! Everything is lost for good!!" angle is something they have to live with. So you know - Ignorance, yet Knowledge and all that. Might want to seek the whole story before assuming.
2.) In 2001 when this happened I was held accountable publicly and didn't earn back Administrator abilities for another four years. Action, Consequence. I have never hide from it. Never buried it. Never run from it. In fact it is a part of the training program at my site. So not sure your point? What that I know well the importance of Accountability of those in-charge? Indeed. I have been on all sides.

I was correctly moderated here. Our system worked.

lol Yes. After something was said. True.

strive to look out for the "underdogs" and the "Jedi everywhere"

It speaks volumes of a place that this is considered a tactic or guise. It astounds me the hypocrisy taking place in this reply alone. I had 100% forgotten the culture here. But You are absolutely right. Moving Forward. Moving On. Focus on what is important. 0123456789
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by .

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311963 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Editing Rights Question

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Flojade wrote: Sometimes people that have no knowledge the history can have a more objective perspective Ob1.

The objectivity that comes with being ignorant does not make up for the ignorance.

Knowing the specifics is not necessarily compulsory as all human conflicts emanate from the same patterns.

Knowing the specifics IS compulsory. In what domain of activity is it true that you can fix problems which you do not understand?

This might look reasonable to you if you are totally ignorant of the history. If you understand the history, this moment is Trump being absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTwmvi-6muA

Should his efforts be frowned upon because he's not "in the know" I don't think so, if anything it's a chance for everyone to cool heels and reflect before making a further ass out of themselves. Not only that, you having to remind him how he doesn't quite get it is derailing this thread, let's keep the topic on point peeps....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311964 by OB1Shinobi
And i disagree with you too so neener neener. My head is cool, and my panties are un-bunched. How 'bout yours?

Should his efforts be frowned upon? No. But we have enough issues with people jumping into topics they dont understand. You want to let a new person form a bad habit, go ahead. Id rather point it out to him and hey maybe others will pick up the message too.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311965 by
In a thread concerning editing rights and proper use of moderation, I'd rather not have to moderate people for getting personal. We have various and differing opinions, and we also clearly have varying levels of information concerning the past. And some of us just don't like each other. That is to be expected in a diverse and open forum such as this, but let's all be adults here and decide if our contributions are productive or just noise. If it is the latter, please consider saving it for a more appropriate time and place. Thanks.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #311973 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Editing Rights Question
In all due honesty, I don't even want to post in this thread, this is getting to be a constant repeating occurrence, and we're losing members as a result. When do we start becoming accountable for what we do and say? Is that a part of being a Jedi? This IS a Jedi Temple after all, is it not? I can only light so many fires under people's behinds before being viewed as an arsonist, and hated as a result...

This is a pm sent to me an hour ago, by a long time standing member. I won't post his name out of respect. His reference to myself as a councilor was of course pointing towards my time spent as an Advisor...

"Zenchi,

Thank you for your service as a Councillor and Knight. I am saddened, once again, by John's antics. I want to continually stress my point that the leadership of this site must focus on doing something about his behavior. Despite the amazing Knights who have recently been inducted into service, TOTJO will forever be a mediocre place as long as John has the ability to rip the spirit of the site apart from the inside.

Keep up the good work,
Hope to be able to come back someday,"

I get the fact that no one here is perfect, but if your going to continue sporting that master rank, than please try to act like you are deserving of it. Fake it till you make it?

It's instances like this that help shape the overall view the entire community has of us as a Temple, and right now we're not looking so hot. There has to come a time where we either learn from these mistakes and start to act accordingly, or we're throwing our hands up and shrugging because those in charge refuse to do anything to correct the problem, and if that is indeed the case, than we are not Jedi, but hypocrites...

Is this the instance where we finally admit to ourselves enough is enough? Is this the turning point where we decide to hold ourselves accountable? I sure n hells hope so.....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

More
6 years 3 months ago #311974 by OB1Shinobi

Zenchi wrote: In all due honesty, I don't even want to post in this thread, this is getting to be a constant repeating occurrence, and we're losing members as a result. When do we start becoming accountable for what we do and say? Is that a part of being a Jedi? This IS a Jedi Temple after all, is it not? I can only light so many fires under people's behinds before being viewed as an arsonist, and hated as a result...

This is a pm sent to me an hour ago, by a long time standing member. I won't post his name out of respect. His reference to myself as a councilor was of course pointing towards my time spent as an Advisor...

"Zenchi,

Thank you for your service as a Councillor and Knight. I am saddened, once again, by John's antics. I want to continually stress my point that the leadership of this site must focus on doing something about his behavior. Despite the amazing Knights who have recently been inducted into service, TOTJO will forever be a mediocre place as long as John has the ability to rip the spirit of the site apart from the inside.

Keep up the good work,
Hope to be able to come back someday,"

I get the fact that no one here is perfect, but if your going to continue sporting that master rank, than please try to act like you are deserving of it. Fake it till you make it?

It's instances like this that help shape the overall view the entire community has of us as a Temple, and right now we're not looking so hot. There has to come a time where we either learn from these mistakes and start to act accordingly, or we're throwing our hands up and shrugging because those in charge refuse to do anything to correct the problem, and if that is indeed the case, than we are not Jedi, but hypocrites...

Is this the instance where we finally admit to ourselves enough is enough? Is this the turning point where we decide to hold ourselves accountable? I sure n hells hope so.....

I agree on the importance of leaders setting the example. Exactly what do you think should be done, right now, that isnt being done?

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #311975 by
What OB1 said ^^^

It is easy to criticize or point at bad behavior, but I haven't seen a viable solution to our ongoing woes that hasn't already been tried or at least discussed. If there was an easy answer, we would've done it by now and everything would be honky dory. The reality is, for now we are doing the best we can with what we're given.

I also feel like it is important to point out that constantly saying we are "losing members" as a direct result of certain things occurring here is not always accurate, and our growing member total would say otherwise. We may lose some members that are friends of ours that we think are important, but there are new members coming here and contributing great things to this Temple every day. We cannot project the displeasure of those who choose to leave onto everyone here. It isn't fair. People will find the place that is right for them, and we will continue to do our very best to make this one of those places, but let's not pretend like we chase people off with torches and pitchforks because we don't. We're not perfect, but we're trying.

The irony of the PM mentioned above is that I received one just like it from the same person (assuming because of the very similar wording) and it comes from someone who I consider to be an upstanding Jedi and excellent member of this community whether he/she practices it in these halls or not. The fact they this person took a moment to express a their desire to see things change for the better here will tell you that the situation is not as hopeless as some would have them sound.

More
6 years 3 months ago #311980 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Editing Rights Question
In case it got missed ;)

Added additional emphasis for the part that probably needs the most consideration based on what I've observed the last few months.

Avalon wrote: I would also like to point out that situations like this can be avoided and minimized by the establishment of and respect towards a clear line of duties, responsibilities, and rights to the leadership roles of the site, by all members of leadership and consequences therein...

Maybe something to consider discussing in that whole Pax Templi thing you guys are working on behind the scenes or something similar.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi