Profiles - Gender

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260370 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Profiles - Gender

ren wrote:

It's (typically speaking) very easy to update drop downs to add more options or change them to text box options all together.

In our case we have to go from a 2 bit integer to a string, so it's a pain.

Gender is silly. To many non-english speakers it's a useless attribute all nouns have, not something that gets associated with people. Got rid of it as soon as I realised I could.

You're ignoring the fact that sex and gender are completely different from one another. One is a biological fact. The other is a social construct and personal form of identification. You don't have the right to tell someone else their personal forms of identification are "silly" simply because it doesn't fit with your worldview.

Further, I would argue that a site manager ought to be able to handle changing drop down menus to text boxes or adding additional options to existing drop downs (which you've already done).... That's part of your job description. But even if you can't do that for whatever reason, there was absolutely no reason for you to go and change "gender" to "sex" knowing that the two are completely different constructs and that they work in day to day life differently, even if you don't happen to agree with it. That's not really your choice to make.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Avalon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 6 months ago #260372 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender

Avalonslight wrote:

ren wrote:

It's (typically speaking) very easy to update drop downs to add more options or change them to text box options all together.

In our case we have to go from a 2 bit integer to a string, so it's a pain.

Gender is silly. To many non-english speakers it's a useless attribute all nouns have, not something that gets associated with people. Got rid of it as soon as I realised I could.

You're ignoring the fact that sex and gender are completely different from one another. One is a biological fact. The other is a social construct and personal form of identification. You don't have the right to tell someone else their personal forms of identification are "silly" simply because it doesn't fit with your worldview.

Further, I would argue that a site manager ought to be able to handle changing drop down menus to text boxes or adding additional options to existing drop downs (which you've already done).... That's part of your job description. But even if you can't do that for whatever reason, there was absolutely no reason for you to go and change "gender" to "sex" knowing that the two are completely different constructs and that they work in day to day life differently, even if you don't happen to agree with it. That's not really your choice to make.

I know sex and gender are different. Sex is real, gender is BS. I am well aware of that, hence why I made the change. Your need for "gender" to be there is silly.

Adding additional options turned out to be easy. Changing the variable type is not.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260374 by Avalon

ren wrote: I know sex and gender are different. Sex is real, gender is BS. I am well aware of that, hence why I made the change. Your need for "gender" to be there is silly.

And again. You don't get to make that decision for someone else. That's not a right you have. No one has the right to go to another person and tell them part of their identity is "silly". Gender is part of peoples' identities, part of who they are. No one has the right to tell someone else that that's wrong or silly... Not when it's so integral to who a person is and how they relate to the world.

We don't need to know someone's sex on a website. Know their gender is part of knowing their identity and being respectful to them. A point you seem to keep ignoring.

And if you've been paying attention, almost everyone who's spoken on the matter has said gender is more appropriate than sex for what we use it for on site.

But by all means, do whatever it is you want since that's all that matters to you and there's nothing the rest of us can do on the matter and you've admittedly done so anyway.

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260375 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Profiles - Gender
Gender is real, if not just because its now recognized in the broader society which we participate and live within.

Personally... I think they are psychological energetic circuits, relating quite distinctly with the spinal alignment, neuromuscular activiation, balance and movement - being that the male tends to a crouched manner ready to spring while the feminine is more a balanced coiled upright arrangement, ready to unwind... all crouched tiger and hidden dragon like
:lol:
But that these only got associated to sex because of the anatomical peculiarities of posture and therefore movement - being its trickier for a male to stand balanced with his package downstairs hanging out front and shoulders larger then hips, plus sitting upright is difficult with the package in the way - while female anatomy with the wider hips and smaller shoulders and balance between larger butt out back and breasts out front provide a more balanced upright posture, additionally allowing upright sitting. Creating these two distinct setups, but setups otherwise not limited to sex, beyond that social norm and anatomical disposition. Just my opinion from reading too much Asian spiritual stuff and being too open minded.
:silly:
The rest of gender then is just cultural I guess, but how people define themselves is important to relating to them.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260376 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender
frankly I'm tired of seeing so much debate for something like this. are five discussion pages in less than an hour. why not post on their training this so intensely. and something else, the person who started this topic is really worried about this subject or simply made for lack of anything better to do? so I ask myself and honestly, we have more important things to do

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260378 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Profiles - Gender
Okay, this got carried away.

I have not read the 4 PAGES of what I am sure is brilliant debate on this -

I don't believe the question was about Gender in a broad sense, so much as "Can we have a Third option on the drop down list that is not M or F" - Seems like more a technical "site set up capability" question than a "How do you feel about non-binary genders" question.

That was done, so I would think the problem was solved?

But, I'm never one to deprive someone of an opportunity to jam their agendas into any given conversation :)
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by JamesSand.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260380 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Profiles - Gender

MrBruno wrote: frankly I'm tired of seeing so much debate for something like this. are five discussion pages in less than an hour. why not post on their training this so intensely.

Because this is an important matter to many in our Temple.

and something else, the person who started this topic is really worried about this subject or simply made for lack of anything better to do?

Knowing the OP as I do, I don't believe that Edan would start this topic to start trouble, but only out of genuine concern.

so I ask myself and honestly, we have more important things to do

No.
We do not have better things to do than care of our members.
Ever.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Manu, Kit, Avalon, Zenchi, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260381 by Avalon
The initial suggestion of this thread was to consider adding additional gender options, with even "other" being better than just the traditional binary choices. It wasn't to argue sex vs gender, though the necessity of that argument was born out of asinine comments.

Which.... Is essentially what was done but because "gender is BS" it was changed to sex and neither....

Which. Is. Wrong.

Again you don't get to make that choice for other people.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260383 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Profiles - Gender

No.
We do not have better things to do than care of our members.
Ever.

Caring for members is one thing. I'm all for it. Support were support is due.

Self indulgent semantic stance-taking, finger pointing, and inane debate is not so much "caring for members" as the pseudo-social awareness version of jacking it.

Especially on an international forum, where getting distressed about nuances in synonyms in one language looks fairly ridiculous.

it was changed to sex

My passport says "Sex/Sexe"

As a word - if it's good enough for passports, it's good enough for here.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Tarran

More
7 years 6 months ago #260384 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Profiles - Gender

JamesSand wrote: Caring for members is one thing. I'm all for it. Support were support is due.

Self indulgent semantic stance-taking, finger pointing, and inane debate is not so much "caring for members" as the pseudo-social awareness version of jacking it.

Especially on an international forum, where getting distressed about nuances in synonyms in one language looks fairly ridiculous.

The difference between "gender" and "sex" is not a "nuance in synonyms." We have plenty of members on this international forum who might be personally affected by these decisions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Tarran

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi