Some questions about being an Initiate...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178068 by
I just joined the site yesterday, and under "Studies", I found the Initiate Programme. It's interesting... I thought that I might as well begin it, in order to start learning about the Jedi path. It seems that, since I've begun the Initiate Program, the typical thing is for my membership status to be changed from "Guest" to "Novice"... however, I'm not entirely sure yet if Jediism is something that I will commit myself fully to, and the title of "Novice" suggests to me that I would be considered a beginner on the Jedi path.

Should I simply continue studying the Initiate Programme, and then decide when I'm finished whether I want to submit an application and be considered a "Novice" on the path to becoming a Jedi?

Or if I submit an application, begin my training and take on the title of "Novice", does that action imply that I am already committed to the Jedi path? What if I begin the programme as a Novice and then decide to back out before or after completing the programme? Would my membership at the TOTJO still be welcome?

Thanks for your time, and MTFBWY :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #178069 by Edan
You don't need to have membership before you do the IP, you're welcome to start it before submitting an application.

You can back out at any time if you want to, you're not rigidly committed to us forever :) You can stop doing the IP whenever you want and come back to it later if it suits you better.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Rosalyn J, Carlos.Martinez3

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 3 months ago #178070 by Jestor

Edan wrote: You don't need to have membership before you do the IP, you're welcome to start it before submitting an application.

You can back out at any time if you want to, you're not rigidly committed to us forever :) You can stop doing the IP whenever you want and come back to it later if it suits you better.

What she said..:)

Commitment (of a type) is requested (hoped for?) Lol... at the apprenticeship level... But, even then, we are not totally unsympathetic...;)

We like to remember that change is the only constant....;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Edan

More
9 years 3 months ago #178071 by Breeze el Tierno
All of the above. And if you never make a formal commitment, you will still be welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Edan

More
9 years 3 months ago #178075 by Carlos.Martinez3
Very true, find out what your getting into before ...getting into things. ! Any questions just asknthere are many here to help you find your path.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178079 by
Okay, thank you all. :)

I think I'll just finish the Initiate Programme on my own time, and then submit my application and asked to be bumped up to "Novice", if I'm feeling committed to this after finishing it. Then my 60 days to "Initiate" rank can begin after my application is submitted, I guess. That also gives me time to probably meet someone who will take me on as an Apprentice once I'm an Initiate.

Cool!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago #178123 by steamboat28
In addition to everything everyone's said here, the IP and the whole of the Library are, IIRC, open to the public. You're welcome to read and study along with us all you want, whatever topics strike your interest. If you want to join later, then you're welcome to do so, but nobody's gonna stop you from using the resources we offer.

That's why we offer them. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #178210 by
I've actually ended up just submitting my application anyway. I don't want to get over-eager without being aware of exactly how genuine my interest is, so I'm still going to take it slow. Most religions or philosophies or esoteric groups I've gotten acquainted with over the years, I rushed in too quickly because I wanted quick results, only to find that I was unsatisfied due to my lack of honesty with myself as to how dedicated I could really be to something bigger than myself. But there's been a long break from all of that in my life, in which I went more deeply inward through solitary practice and impartial involvement with other groups, and after that, I feel more clear about this decision to get involved with Jediism. That's precisely why I'm taking my time with this one - it feels more like a calling of opportunity than the others before :) Especially since taking this more moderate, mature, deliberating approach even seems like a Jedi thing to do.

And fortunately, the Temple's policies on new membership also enforce a certain measure of deliberation and steadiness in terms of how fast one can progress into Jediism, which is fine by me. I'm anticipating that this whole process will be very harmonious, since the same intent is being enacted from both ends of the relationship. :)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #178212 by
Congrats on your application. :)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 3 months ago #178216 by Jestor
Due to the year end report, applications are running a bit behind...

SHould you not notice a change in your status in about two weeks, shoot em a message...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi