This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No)

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 06:03 #40114

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
While The Council would need to vote on this change I feel that input from all interested members is necessary for informed consideration.

For some time I've felt that calling this Special Interest Group Abrahamic is silly and not reflective of its contents at all. The content of the forum is 99.9%+ Christian.

History and the numbers don't support the current name. In the entire history of TOTJO I'm only aware of one member who nominally practiced the Muslim faith and only one or two who claimed the Jewish faith. I'm not attesting there are not more but stating this from my personal memory and experience.

Contrast this to the significant number of active members who are Christian Jedi. I believe the forum suffers from its current name and would be much more lively and used if we call it what it is - Christian Studies.

This is not to put off any potential member who may be Muslim or Jewish but to enhance a real need that we actually have now. We have a significant Christian population. We have a physical congregation in Minnesota with Zanthan Storm as it's Pastor and Bishop. They are Christian Jedi.

To have a group you have to have ... well ... a group.

In the future if there develops a real demand for an Islamic Studies forum or a Jewish Studies forum (and so on) we can make them.

In the beginning this forum was called The Christian Rite and it was changed on the theory of being more inclusive. That was a mistake. By trying to cast so large a net it's alienating the persons who'd actually use it.

Anyone be they guest or member is most welcome to express his or her ideas about this if interested.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 09:41 #40117

I think Christian studies or something along that line would be a more suitable name. I believe it would be a better description as well and would reflect the content better and would possibly be used more with a name change. As you stated, the Abrahamic religions vary greatly from one another, so it is hard to lump them all into one.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 10:38 #40121

I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 21:54 #40127

I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

You're not powerless, you just need to get creative. -Me

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 23:12 #40129

As Br John stated though, if needed a group for Jewish, Muslim or other monotheistic religious people could be made. I don't think it would be snubbing them, as they are still welcome and another group can be made if the need or want arose. From how I see it, it is just hard to fit all God or monotheistic based religions under the Abrahamic group. Seeing as each of these often have very differing views on some stances. Also, newcomers might would be less hesitant to join if there was more of a specification of what religion. Not to stereotype, but people can be very protective of their faiths even down to how it is categorized. So in that aspect I see it as more of a help.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 02:45 #40132

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
As a non-Christian/Abrahamic Jedi I don't really have any issues other than what Jasper said.
Jasper_Ward wrote:
I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

The only thing I would add is maybe to edit the FAQ with the question 'Why is there no Judaism/Islamic special interest group?' That way if anyone ever asks then we have the thread about it and they can see it in the FAQ as well.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone accuses us of being insensitive or otherwise when regarding the views of Islam or Judaism or indeed any other religion.

So I think it is just prudent to cover all of the bases.
Never ask more of another than you are prepared to offer of yourself.

Apprentices: discordor, hellisforhorses, Red Lila, Xaii
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:33 #40133

I know that I'm not an experienced member, but I'd like to point out that I myself don't see a need for that. It will probably only cause some minor future problems (like others said: "Why is there no Islamic/Judaism group?") and the people who use this forum know that it's mostly Christian either way. It will close the door for other Abrahamic religions - not forever, of course, but might be some disappointment for new members.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:43 #40134

• Xiam
  • ID: 1027
Randi Oxford wrote:
I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
This was my thinking as well. I would have agreed to switch to Christian Rite had there been nothing but Christians, but as it was mentioned that there were a small few of the Abrahamic Rite that are not Christian, I am much more wary about it. A minority is still a number. It doesn't seem right that they should be ignored just to make the majority more comfortable (and really, how much of a change in comfort is it anyway? Christianity is an Abrahamic religion).

Plus, there's the issue of how to deal with those who aren't Christian and are looking for a place where they fit (i.e. the hypothetically nonexistent Abrahamic Rite). You can talk about placing disclaimers or answers in the FAQ or waiting for complaints, but that still takes effort on their part, when all they're wanting is to find a place where they can be comfortable, and feel a bit nervous when they can't find it.

Maybe I'm overthinking things in assuming that would be their reactions, I don't know. It just seems like a needless change. And again, .1% may be small, but it's still something worth considering.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 06:37 #40136

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I'm looking at this from the perspective of mislabeling or false advertising. What's actually in that forum? I'm not finding any Jewish or Muslim discussions but plenty of Christian discussions including prayers and ceremonies for a multitude of occasions.

I frequently eat and get take out from a local Black Eye Pea restaurant. The food is very good and so it the service. Several months ago my mother and I went there and the special was Chicken and Dumplings. We ordered it. What a letdown. It was Chicken Soup with dumplings thrown in. Even Campbell's Soup gets this right. They have a Chicken Soup with Dumplings and then they have Chicken and Dumplings which (I hope) you all know is a rich creamy sauce with plenty of chicken and dumplings made from biscuit batter.

So while I don't know how a Muslim or Jewish person would feel if they go in this forum I do understand the disappointment of expecting something and not getting it.

Nobody's saying we cannot have and add forums labeled Muslim Studies and Jewish Studies.

What I'm saying is that we properly label that forum to reflect what's actually in it.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 21:31 #40149

Then perhaps it would be a good idea for people who are in that forum to help bring about more teachings from the other two systems. Just to help even things out. After all, Christianity sprung forth from Judaism, and Islam sprung from Christianity. It helps bring about a more well rounded view of how the system has evolved in the three systems.

You know, so long as they remain respectful when researching and posting.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

You're not powerless, you just need to get creative. -Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Tips on clearing my head ?? (Last post by TheDude)
    • Quote: Jedi are wary of attachments, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions and people creates the fear of losing those possessions and relationships which can cause ourselves to be trapped in a state of depression and loss. I've been in the same boat, Silas. Keeping this (the above teaching) in mind helped me out. I hope you resolve this more quickly than I did!
    • Mail (Last post by nanderson98)
    • If I sign up for the church, will I receive any mail from here? I would prefer not to
    • Knights of Awakening: Jedi Safe Spaces (Charles Mc... (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Also, I reject the kind of all-or-nothing thinking that says that when we speak or meet it must always or never be challenging. One would hope that we could be intelligent enough to monitor our behavior and tailor it to the needs of a particular moment.
    • This Gave Me Hope (Last post by Soma)
    • Quote: I would like to start a thread similar to the grateful thread and the self-forgiveness thread. A thread where we can all share things that gave us hope today. In the face of a cruel and unfair world filled with bad people there is still always hope, you just have to open yourself up to it. So open yourself up and let that hope spill out to others. I thought this was a very inspiring story about a man named David Young... :
    • jedi Buddhist (Last post by shifu)
    • a short answer :huh: Ch`an buddhisum associated with shaolin study as with most of chinese life can be seen in this analogy, Buddhisum is the house Confucianism is the way the house is run Daoisum is the feeling within the house The body needs to be trained according to a structure the middle way, The mind needs to have a place within which to locate itsself, order, but within which you the internal can change according to the actions of the external others. The unity of body and mind leads on to the spirit, the spirit is you the internal them the external in harmony. Study of these Philosophies will give a compase heading in which to travel, aguide/teacher in your chosen model of practice will narrow the paths down on which you travel but you choose, when young take the difficult path, travel will make the path easier but no less interesting. Remember you have two teachers the external and the internal learn from both, all teachers need teachers to keep them true.
    • On the Nature of Crime vs War - An Open Discussion... (Last post by Kyrin Wyldstar)
    • Dude, I would concede that war may be on the decline. In fact I have never said it’s on the increase but I think the reason some nations, (Japan for example) do not have strong militaries is because they are protected by other countries that do have strong militaries. Even with that being the case, the fact that North Korea seems to be testing the waters with Japan is a sign that the show of deterrence will last only so long before force will have to be enacted. What I am saying is that we are a LONG way from any state of world peace if we can ever really achieve that. Just as you, I would love to see our planet in that state. However realistically speaking I just don’t think we will ever fully get there. Many conflicts are not between nations but between factions of a single nation in civil wars or even racial like black/white conflicts or classes of people like the current Blacks vs cops conflicts going on or even civil like the “War on Drugs” that has killed countless numbers. Here is just one list of current armed conflicts going on in the world. It’s actually quite staggering to look at. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_armed_conflicts I don’t want to see the increase in armed conflict any more than you and I would love to see world peace. But conflict is always going to be a part of who we are. Conventional wars are but a fraction of they types of conflict we experience as a species. We as individuals and societies and tribes and races are ALWAYS going to have disagreements and because we are creatures of great passion and emotion, sometimes those disagreements will erupt into violence. I’m just a realist that believes we as imperfect, emotional beings should always strive for peace but will never fully achieve it. But it’s not the goal that’s as important as the journey. Basically meaning we should never give up the pursuit of peace. We will just have to achieve that through conflict at times. As well, you are right that Americans are being slaughtered by other Americans but that has no bearing on the fact that they are also being slaughtered by Terrorists. The World Trade Center attack alone killed 3000 and injured 6000 more. More people died there than in the Pearl Harbor attack by the Japanese in WWII. ISIS is running rampant across the globe right now killing without regard to anything outside their narrow view of the world. Look at this list of ISIS led attacks in 2016 alone. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_..._linked_to_ISIL#2016 Many, many Americans have been killed in any number of these attacks!! The numbers are staggering and I for one am ready to visit fire on fire and end it. These people know no other way than violence and it will take violent means to stop them. And it is sad to say but this is something that will never be totally eradicated in us as a species. There will always be conflict and there will always be a path to save more lives through violent means to end that conflict than through peaceful ones. And yes, specific actions on our part may have created some enemies. But lets be fair, actions on their part also creates enemies. As well reactions on both sides can create enemies. How you handle yourself in the face of conflict speaks a great deal as well. Did those that felt attacked or mistreated ever even try to use peaceful means to resolve an issue or did they immediately jump to violence? In that violence did they only attack military targets or did they go after innocent civilians in terror campaigns designed to inflict more fear and hatred and violence on a global scale? Actions on our part were never designed to create enemies or invite violence. Its not like we went over there and said "Well fuck you, were gonna do what we want". Our actions over the years were measured ones in support of allies or those that we felt were in the best interest off all nations involved. And yes that can be a subjective thing and hind site is 2020 but that does not mean we went over there as warmongers looking for a fight like many try to depict us as. Do you feel that we should not have supported the United Nations in the creation of the state of Israel? Do you feel that we should not have supported the Afghan fighters in the war against Russia? Do you feel that we should not have supported our ally Saudia Arabia when Iraq invaded Kuwait? These are the events that have so pissed of a few radical extremist's so much they have left normal lives and formed into militant terrorist bands and now roam the world indiscriminately killing anyone who does not believe as they do.
    • A new terrorist attack in France :( Pray for Franc... (Last post by Kyrin Wyldstar)
    • Pretty convenient that that video completely skipped over the creation of Israel and the Gulf war isn't it. Quote: Vox is an American news website run by Vox Media, founded by liberal columnist Ezra Klein. Pascal-Emmanuel Gobry at The Week accused the site as "partisan commentary in question-and-answer disguise" and criticized the site for having a "starting lineup was mostly made up of ideological liberals." The Federalist's David Harsanyi criticized the site's concept of "explanatory journalism" in an article titled "How Vox Makes Us Stupid", arguing that the website picked and chose what facts to use in order to only reinforce their readers' progressive liberal worldview, and that "explanatory journalism" inherently leaves out opposing viewpoints and different perspectives that should be considered. The Washington Times's Christopher J. Harpercriticized the site for reporting mistakes, including reporting inaccurate information about the Michael Brown shooting case, reporting on a nonexistant bridge between Israel and Gaza, erroneously stating that the 2014 winter solstice would be the longest night in history, and others. He wrote that for a "much-ballyhooed website aiming to make journalism better and to explain the news" it "makes a lot of mistakes.
    • Reiki Energy ~ Empathic Abilities & Jedi (Last post by Rahatha)
    • I speak only for myself, of course. But I, being one of those who believes in one Great Mystery which lies behind, and inhabits, all that is, would say that it is merely a question of what you choose to name it--God, the Force, the Tao. And, from what I've seen, you are free to call it what you will and even to believe that it exists in many parts, separate from one another, and still find welcome here. As to the different energies that you name, by my account they are all different modes and different workings of the One. I think if you stay here long enough you will hear about this idea and you may find it interesting to contemplate it for yourself. Why is it important? Joseph Campbell, in Part 2 of the Power of Myth (which I am studying as part of the initiate program here) quotes this from the Upanishads "Then he {God} realized: 'I, indeed, am this creation; for I have poured it forth from myself.' In that way he became this creation. And verily, he who knows this becomes in this creation a creator." In other words, we begin to participate, with God, in the process of creation (since we are, after all, part of God and part of his Creation.)
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Grateful for cheap hobbies to help distract me from the pain of not having food around... pizzzaaaaaaaa
    • enlightenment vs. survival (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • i dont agree with this dude about too much of anything. i dont even agree with everythingin this video, but its relevant to this topic where i live, women still respond to masculine men i dont worry too much about the femenists agenda to emasculate us, i just do my best to be a good man and trust things will work out
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by tzb)
    • On reflection my rant was impatient and a result of not having fully processed my thoughts. It was un-Knightly and I'm pleased to withdraw it. One doesn't douse a fire by yelling at the timber not to burn.
    • The Tale Teller (Last post by Kit)
    • I loved that video! As one who loves telling stories, I think I'd be perfectly happy if my stories lived on, even if my name did not. <3 thank you for sharing
    • Tai Chi and Qigong Resource(s) (Last post by TheDude)
    • Very nice! I always like to find the small stylistic differences between systems. The grandmaster of the system I learned, Chian Ho Yin, taught that same move very differently, with the heels touching, fingers interlaced throughout the motion, and a calf raise. Very interesting!

There are 185 visitors, 11 guests and 19 members online (one in chat): Guardianofwinds, Lightstrider, Connor L., Proteus, Khaos, Kit, Cabur Senaar, den385, TheDude, Adi, Tellahane, WRRPhoto, toft, MadHatter, Anensho, Rezinator512, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, urbanacolyte, Ryder, Ju Hae os Ra, KurtSchlegel, Leah Starspectre, Albekl, jeliman, Rahatha, nanderson98, novaadwhite, Soma.

Follow Us