This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No)

Moderators: Desolous, tzb

This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 06:03 #40114

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
While The Council would need to vote on this change I feel that input from all interested members is necessary for informed consideration.

For some time I've felt that calling this Special Interest Group Abrahamic is silly and not reflective of its contents at all. The content of the forum is 99.9%+ Christian.

History and the numbers don't support the current name. In the entire history of TOTJO I'm only aware of one member who nominally practiced the Muslim faith and only one or two who claimed the Jewish faith. I'm not attesting there are not more but stating this from my personal memory and experience.

Contrast this to the significant number of active members who are Christian Jedi. I believe the forum suffers from its current name and would be much more lively and used if we call it what it is - Christian Studies.

This is not to put off any potential member who may be Muslim or Jewish but to enhance a real need that we actually have now. We have a significant Christian population. We have a physical congregation in Minnesota with Zanthan Storm as it's Pastor and Bishop. They are Christian Jedi.

To have a group you have to have ... well ... a group.

In the future if there develops a real demand for an Islamic Studies forum or a Jewish Studies forum (and so on) we can make them.

In the beginning this forum was called The Christian Rite and it was changed on the theory of being more inclusive. That was a mistake. By trying to cast so large a net it's alienating the persons who'd actually use it.

Anyone be they guest or member is most welcome to express his or her ideas about this if interested.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 09:41 #40117

I think Christian studies or something along that line would be a more suitable name. I believe it would be a better description as well and would reflect the content better and would possibly be used more with a name change. As you stated, the Abrahamic religions vary greatly from one another, so it is hard to lump them all into one.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 10:38 #40121

I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 21:54 #40127

I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

You're not powerless, you just need to get creative. -Me

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 02 Jul 2011 23:12 #40129

As Br John stated though, if needed a group for Jewish, Muslim or other monotheistic religious people could be made. I don't think it would be snubbing them, as they are still welcome and another group can be made if the need or want arose. From how I see it, it is just hard to fit all God or monotheistic based religions under the Abrahamic group. Seeing as each of these often have very differing views on some stances. Also, newcomers might would be less hesitant to join if there was more of a specification of what religion. Not to stereotype, but people can be very protective of their faiths even down to how it is categorized. So in that aspect I see it as more of a help.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 02:45 #40132

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
As a non-Christian/Abrahamic Jedi I don't really have any issues other than what Jasper said.
Jasper_Ward wrote:
I see no issue, though a sticky about the change, why, and how we are not trying to put off the other abrahamic faiths might be a good idea if the change is done.

The only thing I would add is maybe to edit the FAQ with the question 'Why is there no Judaism/Islamic special interest group?' That way if anyone ever asks then we have the thread about it and they can see it in the FAQ as well.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone accuses us of being insensitive or otherwise when regarding the views of Islam or Judaism or indeed any other religion.

So I think it is just prudent to cover all of the bases.
Never ask more of another than you are prepared to offer of yourself.

Apprentices: discordor, hellisforhorses, Red Lila, Xaii
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Public Relations and Marketing Assistant
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:33 #40133

I know that I'm not an experienced member, but I'd like to point out that I myself don't see a need for that. It will probably only cause some minor future problems (like others said: "Why is there no Islamic/Judaism group?") and the people who use this forum know that it's mostly Christian either way. It will close the door for other Abrahamic religions - not forever, of course, but might be some disappointment for new members.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 05:43 #40134

• Xiam
  • ID: 1027
Randi Oxford wrote:
I have met one Muslim Jedi and one Jewish Jedi. To refer to this group as just Christian really does seem to snub the other two groups. If we changed this to "Christian", then why not change the Pagan group to "Wiccan". To do so with the latter would estrange a number of other groups which do not adhere to Wicca (for example, Hinduism).

If the subject was to change both groups from their names to something a bit more broad (Abrahamic becomes Monotheistic and Pagan becomes Polytheistic) then I might be more willing to accept the idea.
This was my thinking as well. I would have agreed to switch to Christian Rite had there been nothing but Christians, but as it was mentioned that there were a small few of the Abrahamic Rite that are not Christian, I am much more wary about it. A minority is still a number. It doesn't seem right that they should be ignored just to make the majority more comfortable (and really, how much of a change in comfort is it anyway? Christianity is an Abrahamic religion).

Plus, there's the issue of how to deal with those who aren't Christian and are looking for a place where they fit (i.e. the hypothetically nonexistent Abrahamic Rite). You can talk about placing disclaimers or answers in the FAQ or waiting for complaints, but that still takes effort on their part, when all they're wanting is to find a place where they can be comfortable, and feel a bit nervous when they can't find it.

Maybe I'm overthinking things in assuming that would be their reactions, I don't know. It just seems like a needless change. And again, .1% may be small, but it's still something worth considering.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 06:37 #40136

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I'm looking at this from the perspective of mislabeling or false advertising. What's actually in that forum? I'm not finding any Jewish or Muslim discussions but plenty of Christian discussions including prayers and ceremonies for a multitude of occasions.

I frequently eat and get take out from a local Black Eye Pea restaurant. The food is very good and so it the service. Several months ago my mother and I went there and the special was Chicken and Dumplings. We ordered it. What a letdown. It was Chicken Soup with dumplings thrown in. Even Campbell's Soup gets this right. They have a Chicken Soup with Dumplings and then they have Chicken and Dumplings which (I hope) you all know is a rich creamy sauce with plenty of chicken and dumplings made from biscuit batter.

So while I don't know how a Muslim or Jewish person would feel if they go in this forum I do understand the disappointment of expecting something and not getting it.

Nobody's saying we cannot have and add forums labeled Muslim Studies and Jewish Studies.

What I'm saying is that we properly label that forum to reflect what's actually in it.

Re: This Should Be Christian Not Abrahamic (Yes / No) 03 Jul 2011 21:31 #40149

Then perhaps it would be a good idea for people who are in that forum to help bring about more teachings from the other two systems. Just to help even things out. After all, Christianity sprung forth from Judaism, and Islam sprung from Christianity. It helps bring about a more well rounded view of how the system has evolved in the three systems.

You know, so long as they remain respectful when researching and posting.
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

You're not powerless, you just need to get creative. -Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nameless3450
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Are You A Patriot? (Last post by Adder)
    • Patriotism v Nationalism - interesting consideration. I feel like the former is the values around which the country has its laws and culture orientated over time (and therefore inherently internal) while nationalism is the comparison of those things against other nations, basically. So nationalism then perhaps might be when patriotism interacts with international law, or more practically patriotism does not need to be exclusive from other sets of culture and law, while nationalism might tend to as part of its nature to identify itself as a separate nation. Case in point, a lot of the patriotism in Reacher's linked video could easily be held by many other nation's as the same values - and to hold them doesn't make a person 'American' because of that fact. While nationalism is probably differentiated by including those uniquely national elements specifically to contrast that nation from others. So in my mind, being patriotic can bring people together beyond national boundaries if the values are shared, but being nationalistic not so much. Though they can be mixed up easily. Just my thoughts, and I've probably said a lot of words but not much message again, but I know what I mean :lol:
    • Have you killed a human ?? (Last post by Zenchi)
    • Quote: I mean, I get why he'd think that. People always push that angle- Guns=Murder, not Knives=Murder, or other things. Most people don't think about the mass stabbings when they think of murder. Obviously the grade of people (we hope) in this forum aren't geared towards other methodologies (bombs, poison), but only in self-defense would you kill someone, and that's just a matter of whatever you have available. Sometimes that's guns, sometimes it's a readily available knife. Really, this topic should have been "Would you kill another human." Opens the door for people that have done so to express their pain. Not everyone has as much experiemce as you Alethea, nor have they spent as much time in this community. Again, your grasping just for the sake of arguement. Start a thread on your arguement (as it has a valid point, but not in this thread) and give it a rest, please...
    • Avatar Workgroup (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Hey all I know we have tried and failed to do a group re-watch of Avatar. I tried and then Jamie tried. But, I am doing something different now. I have started a FB group to just act as a hub for us. If you want to join, PM me here or on FB and I'll add you. We will be studying the wisdom of Uncle Iroh, the monks, and the Gurus. Perhaps even the political and ethical implications of villains like Zaheer. Also, we will hopefully have time to drink tea together (Ginseng is Iroh's favorite) and play some Pai Sho. :) No structure. Just as you can.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Kit)
    • Why can't I find a place I can place my loyalty in? This new shop is raking me over the coals already and I'm not even there yet.
    • Jedi who work in EMS/Healthcare (Last post by Atticus)
    • I was, until a couple of weeks ago, an EMT-B with my volunteer department. I let my license expire because I couldn't keep up with documenting my continuing ed, but almost immediately I am regretting that decision. So I may be back soon. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    • [New book project] Letters to new Jedi (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Edan, this is on my to-do list its just I have a long to-do list and not a lot of time so going through priorities, do you have a deadline or some idea when you would like this by? Think she spoke of there not being a deadline in a few posts above this one... You underestimate the length of my to do list lol, I didn't see that reply till you pointed it out, but I'm sure edan would like to get this project done before end of next year too! Yes... there is no official deadline because I am not editing any of what is written... however my aim is 2 - 3 weeks ish.
    • Yoga Camp (Last post by Edan)
    • Yoga Camp - Day 23 - 'I Am Secure' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHOAY6ZeLXY&index=24&list=PLui6Eyny-Uzx5BRNB2_Kvycrn5h9OsaHC
    • How to Find Out If Your Penis Is a Normal Size (Last post by Murasaki)
    • Quote: What is an “average” size for a penis? Have to laugh at that, its something children talk about, but I will add to the comment just for laughs .... This is the average erect penis size from around the world. Target Map have released some new and very interesting data which unveils different average erection sizes from around the world. According to the diagram, African men have the world's largest penises, whereas men from Asian countries find themselves on the other end of the scale. The results reveal that men from the African countries highlighted in red, such as Jamaica, Haiti and Ghana, possess the most impressive size in manhood, ranging from 6.3 to 7 inches. Second to Africa are men from Australia, Italy, Norway, Mexico, and South Africa, who average at around 5.8 – 6.3 inches. Next up are British, American, French, German and Spanish guys, whose average erection is between 5-5.8 inches. In fourth place are Japanese, Indonesian, Greek, Brazilian and Russian men at around 4.1-5 inches. And lastly, guys who hail from India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia and South Korea have an average erection size of 3.6 inches and 4.1 inches. So now you know. [image]
    • Handicap people killed in Japan & no one care!... (Last post by Murasaki)
    • Quote: Yea, it's the non-japanese, the jews, the disabled, etc who have problems there because they're not members of the superior race :P Seriously tho, it's a racist country. No you are incorrect, Japanese respect all people, it is that we, have no time for non-Japanese that come here and think Japan and Japanese should change to suit them. You move to Australia, you are expected to speak english, follow Australian laws, and behave Australian, well same here in Japan, you move here, you are expected to speak japanese, follow Japanese laws, and behave Japanese, the problems is most that move here refuse to change, and what the Japanese to change, I have seen so many english speakers here complain that the Japanese should learn to speak english... Why? This is Japan, we speak Japanese, you want english, then go to a english speaking country, simple. As you can see multiculturalism has not worked, it has seriously failed in Europe and failing in Australia, why? Because people who moved refused to change, they want their new home country to change to be like their old home country. Simple solution for these people is if you want your old home style of living then return to the country you came from, not rocket science! Japanese know that multiculturalism is a joke and it is the reason they do not have mass immigration, Japan is for Japanese. Like Australia is for Australians, UK is for British etc., etc.
    • Loooong apprenticeships (Last post by Codex)
    • Quote: Quote: What would be a good average length of time for an apprenticeship? I do not like focus on the time of an apprenticeship much, I find quality more important. The council and knights/masters should not be or feel forced to accept anything less than quality in any apprenticeship, seeking average time will create pressure in some way. :) If it takes more time than is normally used, with this average time thingy on top of it, the Temple should learn to deal with this pressure. ~

There are 145 visitors, 6 guests and 30 members online (6  in chat): RyuJin, Connor L., Adder, Trose , Proteus, Rosalyn J, Lykeios, Llama Su, Avalonslight, tzb, Zenchi, Cabur Senaar, Codex, maltesephil, TheDude, Jayden the 2nd, Tellahane, Ke JinnDakken, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, MartaLina, Gwinn, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar, Ryder, Jamie Kay, Rahatha, Blitz7737, Arisaig, Camden, Jutus, Saun meer, Murasaki.

Follow Us