New Knighting Procedure

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330764 by
Replied by on topic New Knighting Procedure

Connor L. wrote: ... a step towards lessening the power of the Council to make day-to-day decisions...

Actually this needs to be strengthened not lessened. They are virtually nonfunctional now. Moving this power is not fixing anything. Its putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330767 by
Good. They should be barely functional. Give the power to the people. The Council’s sole job should be to manage law and finances. The Knights should run the site. That’s my opinion.

More
5 years 4 months ago #330768 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic New Knighting Procedure
We shall see how this goes :)

I have hope

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

More
5 years 4 months ago #330769 by thomaswfaulkner
I am optimistic about the delegation...spreading that power I hope creates that space to allow people with held positions the opportunity to interact with community as their own unique person, rather than the duty of responsibilty they hold with office.

There's a whole bunch of goodness going on behind the scene (enough to consider it part time status for volunteering) and the critical nature of people burning out is a real challenge to mitigate when responsibility is clutched too tight.

I'm also hoping this fosters teamwork and strengthens the community.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #330770 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic New Knighting Procedure

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Connor L. wrote: ... a step towards lessening the power of the Council to make day-to-day decisions...

Actually this needs to be strengthened not lessened. They are virtually nonfunctional now. Moving this power is not fixing anything. Its putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

The Knights corps are a wide and diverse group of individuals, stating that granting this authority (something the Knights have worked on getting for years now) is turning the process Into a popularity contest is making the assumption the majority of Knights all think alike & we need our egos stroked, we don't...

I trust our Knights much more with this process now than I do with the council after everything that's went down in the last couple of months in all honesty. We have some outstanding individuals serving this Temple, i'm optimistic...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Locksley, thomaswfaulkner

More
5 years 4 months ago #330775 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic New Knighting Procedure
I have less familiarity with the council than i do with most of the Knights. That itself may be point in favor of the new system. I would trust SOME of Knights to vote for someone they disliked if that person had done the work, but definitely not all: ive been here too long, lol, and i certainly wouldnt want to put very many of them in the position to vote against a friend. You want to be the vote that shoots down a friend? Ready to deal with the feeligs of betrayal from someone you care about? Its so much easier to just vote “yes” lol i mean “such and such” is a nice person anyway and Im sure s/he will mature in time....
Yes i believe everyone will promise at the gate to be very fair and objective, lol, as all people always believe themselves basicaly fair and objective.

People are complicated.

More
5 years 4 months ago #330776 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic New Knighting Procedure
OB1, this is true no matter who is in the decision seat.

With great power comes great responsibility and all that.

I wonder what Knights will do if said person does NOT mature.

I'd be interested to see the solution

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #330777 by
OB1, I'm curious if you have any ideas for improving the system. The Knights, I'm sure, would love to hear your contributory ideas.

More
5 years 4 months ago #330778 by thomaswfaulkner

OB1Shinobi wrote: I have less familiarity with the council than i do with most of the Knights. That itself may be point in favor of the new system. I would trust SOME of Knights to vote for someone they disliked if that person had done the work, but definitely not all: ive been here too long, lol, and i certainly wouldnt want to put very many of them in the position to vote against a friend. You want to be the vote that shoots down a friend? Ready to deal with the feeligs of betrayal from someone you care about? Its so much easier to just vote “yes” lol i mean “such and such” is a nice person anyway and Im sure s/he will mature in time....
Yes i believe everyone will promise at the gate to be very fair and objective, lol, as all people always believe themselves basicaly fair and objective.

That's a valid point, brother. I think, for at least my effort, me and other Knights vested in the welfare of the Temple can bring up those hard questions about continued commitment and service to the community. For me personally, I wanna see more people step up to serve because workloads here can stink at times. Knighthood shouldn't queue the credits rolling and the audience applauding. I can only hope we are firm, fair and consistent with voting, but I firmly accept those difficult conversations should be held amongst each voting authority.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #330779 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic New Knighting Procedure
Rosalyn: you are right. I suspect this is as good of a solution as is going to be had atm. Im sorry to be negative.

Connor: you already said it; objective sandards. A MUCH more difficult road, but the right one, imo.

What does it really mean to be a Knight? How do you train it, how do you test for it?
Theres no reason a general training protocol cant be adapted to specific individuals as circumstances require. I would have more confidence that people could recognize where and how to adapt the regimen to the applicant than i would that people are going to vote the truth under the shadow of their personal relationships....or resentments.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Amaya

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi