Forum Access Changes

More
9 years 5 months ago #165273 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Forum Access Changes

Kitsu Tails wrote:

Proteus wrote: Akkarin announced the newest update in these changes a couple pages back. It hasn't received much attention interestingly.

Here it is again: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/114-Announcements/108282-access-forum-changes-refined

I'm just taking a guess...but the reason why its not receiving attention is because the "Flow" is here. Im sure all of us has already read it though. Thank you *bows*

I only mention it because the flow here has not really mentioned it. Some are still rather hung up on what they did not like about this threads OP.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165277 by
Replied by on topic Forum Access Changes

Proteus wrote: Akkarin announced the newest update in these changes a couple pages back. It hasn't received much attention interestingly.

Here it is again: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/114-Announcements/108282-access-forum-changes-refined

That is strange. Changes were made, and implemented and posted about. Obviously they have no qualms with the new changes, yet the angry mob is still here with their torches and pitch forks, fussing over the old changes.

More
9 years 5 months ago #165281 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Forum Access Changes
Revan Falton wrote

That is strange. Changes were made, and implemented and posted about. Obviously they have no qualms with the new changes, yet the angry mob is still here with their torches and pitch forks, fussing over the old changes.

Don't assume things about what people are doing and we are no angry mob we have been in my opinion respectful on the whole and this thread is still relevant to some of us!!

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165282 by

Revan Falton wrote:

Again I am just taking a guess..... But it seems to me the "Angry Mob" wasn't so much angry about the changes themselves save for the 'Asthetics' of it......so much as the manner in which the changes take place. Since this thread is highly focused on the "Manner" more so than the "Discussion Changes" it does seem appropriate to continue it here. :) Just guessing though.

In the end the Asthetic changes are appreciated. Thank you. Now to change the "Manner of Change" for future actions :) *bows*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165284 by
What is done is done and can be undone someday? I am only a guest and carry no weight but I think you should listen to your members. Good luck.

More
9 years 5 months ago #165285 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Forum Access Changes
I think that considering the changes and suddenness they have been employed, with no prior notice to the general populace, this discussion has gone rather well.

And even thought there might have been some heated moments, each of the participants should be commended on their participation in it.

And I have read all of the pages up to this point. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, steamboat28, Jestor, , Amaya, Edan

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #165295 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Forum Access Changes
I wonder why no one has brought up the obvious?

That (back when most of you hadn't heard of jediism - just a couple of years ago), "Jedi" automatically implied keeping emotions in check. Meaning a Jedi is more capable of it than [strike]average Joe[/strike] guest.
That Jedi means we're somewhat tolerant of things that aren't jedi, unlike a great many other groups. Blacks, Jews, spiders, people who don't talk the way we do, don't eat the way we do, don't believe the way we do... And in fact, that we are interested in the stuff they say and do.

Back when the council did stuff in the dark without involving anyone else, the changes that we'd bring to the forum were in no way contrary to our stated beliefs. They related to organization, flow, record keeping, and privacy. Not the privacy that protects you from anyone branded "heretic" by the inquisition, only the kind that protects your oath from being indexed by google.

regarding the new new changes, I wonder in what way a members-only forum adds any functionality to the site? We can already use PMs, public chat, private chatrooms, chat PM, the wall to communicate with our contacts only, etc... There is very little difference between a guest, temple member, and novice.
I don't know what the changes to membership will be, but right now it seems strange to have a forum that's essentially reserved for people who gave their personal details to Jestor.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jon,

More
9 years 5 months ago #165303 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Forum Access Changes

ren wrote: I wonder why no one has brought up the obvious?

That (back when most of you hadn't heard of jediism - just a couple of years ago), "Jedi" automatically implied keeping emotions in check. Meaning a Jedi is more capable of it than [strike]average Joe[/strike] guest.
That Jedi means we're somewhat tolerant of things that aren't jedi, unlike a great many other groups. Blacks, Jews, spiders, people who don't talk the way we do, don't eat the way we do, don't believe the way we do... And in fact, that we are interested in the stuff they say and do.

Back when the council did stuff in the dark without involving anyone else, the changes that we'd bring to the forum were in no way contrary to our stated beliefs. They related to organization, flow, record keeping, and privacy. Not the privacy that protects you from anyone branded "heretic" by the inquisition, only the kind that protects your oath from being indexed by google.

regarding the new new changes, I wonder in what way a members-only forum adds any functionality to the site? We can already use PMs, public chat, private chatrooms, chat PM, the wall to communicate with our contacts only, etc... There is very little difference between a guest, temple member, and novice.
I don't know what the changes to membership will be, but right now it seems strange to have a forum that's essentially reserved for people who gave their personal details to Jestor.

There IS very little difference. That is correct.

Change is inevitable.

Not all Jedi are on the same point in the path. And no matter how far down the path you get, every Jedi is still human. And that means that we are prone to err.

;)

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165308 by

ren wrote: regarding the new new changes, I wonder in what way a members-only forum adds any functionality to the site?

We haven't introduced this just for the fun of it lol. Hell I've been trying to write an essay:

"Outline and discuss the concept of skill-in-means (upaya-kaushalya) with particular reference to its adoption in the Lotus Sutra. What does this concept tell us about emerging Mahayana attitudes to mainstream Buddhist teachings?"

during all this and it's massively distracting :P

People felt there was a need for something to be done so something we did, and this was not a Council decision, this was something that was discussed in the Knights forum and even voted upon with a poll. Councillors have been responding a lot I suppose because we are the sort of people that get heavily involved in stuff like this in the first place, but you'll notice that several Knights have made posts too.

Now I can completely agree that the way it was done was pretty bad given the response we have gotten, so that's something that is almost certain to change in future.

As our Temple grows in complexity so too I imagine will our needs for more decisions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165315 by
I will only say that I like how these threads move here.

I went to sleep, as I work overnight at the hospital, and had certain thoughts.

Now, I am not one to not read what has come before and posted, so in having 6 pages to read before posting really gives you good scope of the communication process of this place.

I am still not happy about the changes, but I can clearly see there is a back and forth reciprocal communication process going on right now that usually doesnt here.

Of course, after reading there is also a "cooling off" effect in that, even though I am still not pleased, I feel no need to post if only not to in anyway damage the level of communication happening.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi