Victim Blaming vs Personal Responsability

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183490 by OB1Shinobi
i wanted to add that the responsibility im talking about is applied to the thief also

when we look at his system and recognize what he facez as a result of his lifestyle we find that the odds are far more against him than the average person

hes got most all if the same risks as anyone elze but hez also got law enforcement, other criminals and any honest citizens who may happen to be around.

so his chances of escaping justice are, in the long run, very low

---

the important thing is to accept responsibility for ones self

its not a blame issue or a valuation issue

it is a pragmatic issue of understanding onsz envirionment and ones vulnerabilities

its about being aware
being thoughtful

learning from ones mistakes and the mistakes of others in a deliberate and thorough fashion

making deliberate effort to understand the implications of ones actions and decisions

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #183494 by steamboat28

Edan wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

Brenna wrote: If someone breaks into my car, am I responsible for parking my car where they could happen upon it and decide to break in?

Not exactly, but more of the blame is on you if you knew that parking place was prone to that sort of activity and didn't lock your doors.

Who doesn't lock their car doors anyway?
(Except for everyone on American television ever.)

I used to leave mine open with hundreds of dollars of stuff inside. My car was broken into exactly once: so someone could roll up the windows. They left a note.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183498 by Edan

steamboat28 wrote:

Edan wrote:

steamboat28 wrote:

Brenna wrote: If someone breaks into my car, am I responsible for parking my car where they could happen upon it and decide to break in?

Not exactly, but more of the blame is on you if you knew that parking place was prone to that sort of activity and didn't lock your doors.

Who doesn't lock their car doors anyway?
(Except for everyone on American television ever.)

I used to leave mine open with hundreds of dollars of stuff inside. My car was broken into exactly once: so someone could roll up the windows. They left a note.

Then you live in a better place than I. My dad left his car unlocked for 10 minutes and someone stole his sat nav.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Edan.

More
9 years 2 months ago #183522 by OB1Shinobi
the last thing (until the next thing) about the empowerment aspect of what im talking about is to come to the conclusion that not only do we live as prey in a predatory system but to understand that we also are predators

in fact we as humans are the top predators

each of us individually will be more or less in touch with our predatory nature as a matter of perspective and context
but we ARE predators

and this is not a moral judgement on us any more than on a falcon or a frog

every form of life lives by the predation of some other form of life, the distinction is only a matter of degree

it can be said that deer dont really predate greens but there are places where the deer population will eat an area completely out of certain plant elements

also we have the mental capacity for symbolism
we can view the things we want in life as being prey
its just anther word for goals
but to change the vocabulary of an existing concept is to open that concept up to new perspective and new insight

so to recognize ourselves as both predator and prey forces us to take responsibility for our lives, but it also empowers us with a functional context for doing so

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183533 by
I have a very fluid opinion on this topic, considering it is an entirely subjective and perception based subject, and is centered around just that personal opinion. Blame, fault, and responsibility are all inherently determined by personal ideology, relation, emotion, and involvement. Looking at it from an objective view, I feel, is rather difficult despite it being an analogy or not, considering one has to take into account both the individual victim(s') and perpetrator(s') emotional, intellectual, psychological, physical, financial, and legal (+etc.) conditions and how these are able to be related to personal perception and ideology on both society and morality.

Take, for example, an man or woman in a domestic violence situation, where their significant other is both physically and psychologically abusive, as well as financially superior. This combination of factors, when also including the possible development of a "Stockholm syndrome" to adversely affect the victim's perception of their situation, mitigates the ideology of it is the victim's "responsibility" to control their personal situational factors so as to avoid/escape such a situation. Both the responsibility and blame of the crime fall onto the perpetrator--based on the normative of social constructs, and also the legal perception of the event--as they are willfully committing conscious acts of malice.

Going way more in-depth, despite its length, describes thoroughly and most completely my ideology regarding this:
Warning: Spoiler!

When I take all of these into account, I don't believe anyone should be blamed for anything--outside of the legal sense, of course. I, in fact, feel pity for those that are driven to commit acts of injustice. I prescribe the same amount of pity that I do onto the victim as I do onto the perpetrator, for I do not believe they are truly to be blamed for their crime. I, personally, blame no one; I, personally, blame nothing. There are too many things to consider, too many factors that can skew clear lines of blame and blur the entire picture when approaching it from anything but a legal perspective.

I could, quite honestly, babble on and on about the social construct of blame, responsibility, and fault (+etc.) and my personal opinion on such, but I think I've done a sufficient job of that, haha. Just another disclaimer: I am not advocating for crime in any way, shape, or form. I do--very strongly--believe that criminals should be tried fairly for their crimes and sentenced to punishment accordingly. When this comes down to incarceration, I am very much so pro-imprisonment for heinous criminal acts, ALTHOUGH I firmly believe in rehabilitation efforts and for mental institutionalization for the mentally unstable. In the case of incarceration sans rehabilitation, I am more wary/uncertain of this, although I do advocate for it so as to ensure the well-being of the public, the safety of all individuals, and in the interest of the pursuit of Justice. I also want to note that just because I feel pity for the perpetrator of a crime--and my own personal morals revolve around mercy--it does not mean that I would be lenient in any legal sense. Crime is crime and there is consequence for immoral action.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

More
9 years 2 months ago #183543 by steamboat28

Edan wrote: Then you live in a better place than I. My dad left his car unlocked for 10 minutes and someone stole his sat nav.

No. I'm just a terrifying bastard.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 2 months ago #183545 by Jestor
I just see this last comment, and thought id mention that my car is outside running, right now, and has been for 20 minutes.. lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 months ago #183546 by RyuJin
i leave my car unlocked everywhere...i leave nothing of value in it...if you don't know the complex process i have to use to start it then you can't get it running...it's a stick shift which is a dying art form (i only know of a few people around me that can drive stick)...i look like i do...everyone around here knows i know martial arts, and everyone knows i own a small arsenal...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183548 by Brenna
lol. And yet I have been broken into three times. Nothing of value in my car. Not visible anyway, though I doubt a make up case in the glove box counts.

Once parked in my own drive way (I live in a very nice area), once while parked in a friends drive way and once in the parking lot of a restaurant.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Brenna.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #183550 by RyuJin

Brenna wrote: lol. And yet I have been broken into three times. Nothing of value in my car. Not visible anyway, though I doubt a make up case in the glove box counts.

Once parked in my own drive way (I live in a very nice area), once while parked in a friends drive way and once in the parking lot of a restaurant.

maybe you should leave a picture of yourself giving "the look" to watch over your car :silly:

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi