Conscription - Draft

More
9 years 5 months ago #171275 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Conscription - Draft
I think there are ways to achieve those things without conscription... wasn't there a thread not too long ago about boot camps for kids?

Also

Standing at the gate, telling folks how to fix their walls doesn't work..

I hope you don't think that's what I was doing.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #171276 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Conscription - Draft

Jestor wrote: I am in the US, no.military experience...

And, I think it should be mandatory...

Two years (minimum) military training...

Then college/job/whatever...

I agree. In fact, I'd go so far as to agree with Heinlein in Starship Troopers, which advances the notion that military service (or some governmental service, at least) should be required to obtain the priviliege of voting.

"Value" has no meaning other than in relationship to living beings. The value of a thing is always relative to a particular person, is completely personal and different in quantity for each living human — "market value" is a fiction, merely a rough guess at the average of personal values, all of which must be quantitatively different or trade would be impossible. … This very personal relationship, "value", has two factors for a human being: first, what he can do with a thing, its use to him… and second, what he must do to get it, its cost to him. There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false!This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears. … I fancy that the poet who wrote that song meant to imply that the best things in life must be purchased other than with money — which is true — just as the literal meaning of his words is false. The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion . . . and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself — ultimate cost for perfect value."

Either way, in the area of conscription, it should be all or nothing--either service should be mandatory for everyone, or mandatory for no one. Which is why I have a HUGE problem with the way conscription (not currently in use, but still politically obfuscated as "Selective Service") works in the U.S.

The problem I have with it is that, while women can serve in the U.S. military, they aren't required to enroll for Selective Service. Men are.

In fact, they go so far as to state that "Individuals who are born female and have a sex change are not required to register. U.S. citizens or immigrants who are born male and have a sex change are still required to register." It's the law, and failure to do so is a felony (which means that in many states it can cost you your right to vote ) that can result in "a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years" and finds themselves ineligible for "...job training under the Federal Workforce Investment Act, student financial aid...which include such need-based programs as Guaranteed Student Loans and Pell Grants...the opportunity to work for the Federal Government and the U.S. Postal Service, or, if an immigrant, the priviliege of becoming a United States Citizen..." And, while the legality and constitutionality of excluding women from this requirement has been called into question, "A Supreme Court decision in 1981, Rostker v. Goldberg, held that registering only men did not violate the due process clause of the Constitution."

So, in review: Only men are required to sign up for the potentiality of a draft in the United States, and only men can receive a felony penalty (which may impede their voting rights) for failing to do so. Which means that women in the United States have no military investment whatsoever tied up with their ability to vote. While I firmly believe in the equal suffrage of women, this poses an instance where men are essentially required to "pay" for their right to vote in many states and women achieve it for free.

This inconsistency troubles me, as it troubles Karen Straughan , who notes:

In several modern, democratic nations, such as Norway and South Korea, military service remains a mandatory obligation of the citizen. Well, if that citizen is a man.

And what price did women have to pay, in terms of a citizen's obligation to government, to purchase their right to vote? None, you say? Oh yeah, that's right, only men had to purchase their citizenship rights--women just had to finally agree with each other that they wanted them, and then ask.

And in light of that, you know what's really awesome? Men have, at times, though not always, been exempt during a draft if they were married or had children, because drafting a husband or father was considered an unfair hardship to women and children, and was to be avoided if possible. One of the few ways a man could avoid his obligation to society--to die--was if a woman or child would have to help him pay that price. Yep, society sure was interested in giving women the short end of the stick, all right.

So, all that rambling to say this: All, or nothing. Everyone, or no one. Anything less is unfair.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.

More
9 years 5 months ago #171277 by Breeze el Tierno
In principle, I agree with Jestor. I would not hesitate to protect my community if my country were invaded. That said, I am an American.

It is my sincere belief that my country is in the business of empire building. My wife and I are in early discussion of leaving the country, as we not share its apparent goals. I love my country insofar as I love my people and I love the land. But I don't want to help this country do its ugly work.

But a draft in a kinder country? Worth discussing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 5 months ago #171282 by Breeze el Tierno
Perhaps something closer to the National Guard. They do policing actions, but also disaster response and things like that.

I am not 100% sure how I feel about this, but I can see the value of conscripted service to a reasonable nation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #171288 by
Replied by on topic Conscription - Draft
In Russia conscription was a horror story for students - like if you study bad, you'll suffer.

I don't want to give bad image to my Homeland - there's a lot of positive stuff going in here. But changes take time and some military units are known to be just places of dementia and bullying.

If conscription gives you good amount of military skills - than it's worth a consideration. Otherwise, I think it's just soulless bureaucracy.

I, myself, passed by the conscription because of a trauma.

More
9 years 5 months ago #171299 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Conscription - Draft
I don't think it is a good idea, but I think a nation should have a part-time component to its military to help provide supporting roles (non-combative), and this could be a good avenue to have some mandatory military service.... though I think it might be better achieved with some humanitarian service instead.

It is though good as an option in case of serious dire straits, fighting off an invasion type of stuff, but if things got that bad I doubt they'd have the capacity to enforce it, rather the capacity would be to facilitate rapid mobilization, training and integration of civilians into a fighting capacity and anyone who decided to hide or run would just be left to their own devices - at least until it ended :whistle:

So preferred would be perhaps an option to do a fulltime 2 year program of humanitarian training and perhaps do 2 deployments to the third world, run by the government to support the UN for example. Some (most) kids need help getting started in life and the training, wages, superannuation, and life experiences could help lead into all sorts of work opportunities.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 5 months ago #171308 by SilverWolf
Replied by SilverWolf on topic Conscription - Draft
I was once slightly teased by Zenchi about my beliefs and Ideals being those from back in the 60's. For the Record, I was born May 27th 1970. I joke with my friends and family by saying that my birthday is so special that the U.S. Government takes the day off. I know they don't, it's memorial day weekend, but it makes for a good story :lol:

In the spirit of Zenchi's ribbing about my ideals, I post the following song lyrics:

WAR, huh yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh
War huh yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it again y'all
War, huh good God
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, listen to me

Oh, war, I despise
'Cause it means destruction of innocent lives
War means tears to thousands of mothers eyes
When their sons go off to fight and lose their lives

I said
War, huh good God y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, just say it again
War whoa Lord
What is it good for?
War, it ain't nothin' but a heartbreak
War, friend only to the undertaker

Oh war, is an enemy to all mankind
The thought of war blows my mind
War has caused unrest within the younger generation
Induction, then destruction who wants to die

War, good God, y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it, say it, say it
War, uh huh, yeah, huh
What is it good for?
War, it ain't nothin' but a heartbreaker
War, it's got one friend that's the undertaker

Oh, war has shattered many young man's dreams
Made him disabled bitter and mean
Life is much too short and precious to spend fighting wars these days
War can't give life it can only take it away, ooh

War, huh, good God y'all
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it again
War, whoa, Lord
What is it good for?
War, friend only to the undertaker

Peace love and understanding tell me
Is there no place for them today
They say we must fight to keep our freedom
But Lord knows there's got to be a better way

War, huh, good God y'all
What is it good for?
You tell 'em, say it, say it, say it, say it
War, good Lord, huh
What is it good for?
Stand up and shout it, nothing

Songwriters
Strong, Barrett / Whitfield, Norman J.

Read more: Edwin Starr - War Lyrics | MetroLyrics

On the subject of defending my home and my family, I would not hesitate to kill someone trying to hurt, kill or take my wife or son.

On the Subject of War and being drafted or made to serve, I say this: I thank those soldiers that have fought for us and defended us in the name of freedom. I mourn those who have died. I feel truly sorry for those who have gotten injured because of fighting for us. I am disgusted how our government treats our soldiers now and how they are about as expendable to our government as a SOLO cup. That is a shame and a travisty. I also believe that we get involved in wars and conflicts for the wrong reasons, and that a lot of our soldiers died needlessly. It is for these reasons that I do not support a Conscription or a Draft. If a situation like the fictional movie "Red Dawn" happened....I know enough hold out and survive and Do what I have to protect my family. I have always wanted to serve in the Military, but I have flat feet, Epilepsy, cerebral palsy in my left side, and a titanium rod in my left leg below the knee. So that takes care of my military career unless they change their minds about giving disabilied people military jobs in office positions without going through basic training.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #171324 by
In my opinion no-one should be forced to serve in, or for, their country's military services if they don't wish to. Taking my own country, the UK, as an example - a look at our history shows many wars, most of which I disagreed with. Why should one be sent to war by a government one disagrees with to fight for a cause one disagrees with?

Having said that I would voluntarily fight in certain situations - if my country was invaded for example.

Military service is, and should, be voluntary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #171325 by
Ecthalion, that's a good opinion, but it didn't explain much. Why is it that you think military service should be voluntary?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #171326 by

Connor L. wrote: Ecthalion, that's a good opinion, but it didn't explain much. Why is it that you think military service should be voluntary?

As I said:

Why should one be sent to war by a government one disagrees with to fight for a cause one disagrees with?

If you agree with a war you are free to sign up - if you disagree you do not have to fight. Freedom of choice.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi