Is A Fertilized Human Egg A Person?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168816 by

M Gray wrote: We are all creatures of the Force, it is not up to us to decide the fate of another before its time. The Force is the ultimate arbiter of our destiny, and whether that be a heroic death on the field of battle or within the womb, we have no right to judge its worth. That is what I believe.

And the wounded man on the battlefield said "I guess God has decided that it's my time to die."
To which the medic replied "But it's God's will that I save your life."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #168828 by Br. John

M Gray wrote: If one wants to save turtle eggs on a beach and give them a chance at life, then one should want to save a human just as much. We are all creatures of the Force, it is not up to us to decide the fate of another before its time. The Force is the ultimate arbiter of our destiny, and whether that be a heroic death on the field of battle or within the womb, we have no right to judge its worth. That is what I believe.

I'm also a lifelong resident of Texas born and living in Beaumont. Hello.

Following that reasoning, at what point (if any) should a human female be able to take measures to prevent a fertilized egg from implanting (Plan B ) or terminate a pregnancy? Do you or anyone else have the right to make that decision instead of her?

Edit: Fixed "Plan B" from showing as Plan B).

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Br. John.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #168836 by
I understand your points, most definitely. I recently had an experience dealing with the topic we are discussing. I will not go into detail, for it is my battle, but I will say that it deeply affected me. To Jedi it seems, life is sacred and should be protected, as I have gotten from the Doctrine. On the battlefield, it is the job of the medic to save and protect lives. That is what the Jedi are. If a Jedi is to take a life, I would hope that the human being who's life is about to be taken knows why. He or she has chosen the course of action through which the necessity for the Jedi to defend another and take the individual's life has arisen. As is said Part 3 of Lesson 1 of the initiate program, to which I am now listening, one must treat the people, plants, animals, and aspects of the world not as its, per se, but as daos. What I have gathered from listening to Joseph Campbell is that human life should NEVER be treated as an 'it'. Rather, I believe that human life should be viewed as sacred, however difficult that may be. Sometimes, death comes even after the best efforts of doctors and medics, and it is something we must try to accept. What I'm trying to say is that I see Jedi as protectors of life, of all sorts. Endangered species, our fellow man being mugged on the street, your brother next to you on the battlefield, even the smallest and most defenseless. In lore, the Jedi are protectors, defenders, and guardians of the world. So I hope we are. The Force shapes all destinies. We must do everything we can to help others reach theirs. That is my belief. Thank you for your insights so as to help me be more clear :)
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168877 by
But protecting life doesn't mean "not killing" and respecting life also doesn't mean "not killing". Have you eaten something today? I 100% guarantee you that something was killed for it, whether it was vegetarian or animal.

It's easy to say phrases like "Jedi protect life" and so forth, but then one can find it difficult to see how that should actually be put into practice. If it were so easy then there would be no need for a discussion on it :D

There is also a difference between "life" and "living" which should be accounted for in making decisions such as these.

This is a great interview by Niel DeGrasse Tyson on God, specifically the "will of God [Force]" and "God [Force] working in mysterious ways":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovlrV7SoPCo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168899 by
I guess in my view, and according to the very teachings I am listening to in the Initiate Program, one has to respect life in all its forms. It definitely doesn't mean "not killing". But I would think it means "killing with a spirit of reverence". In Native American mythology, eating of meat was a sacred act, as the animals themselves were seen as part of the great spirit of life. Meat is good for a human being in certain quantities. Do we need to eat human beings on a regular basis? I certainly would hope not. Personally, I make sure to only eat meat that a) is kosher (although I'm not jewish, I believe the spirit of reverence is there) b) is hunted, as most hunters I know treat the animals they kill with a certain degree of respect, or c) is organic and farm raised. Furthermore, I do fervently believe in higher elements of power beyond that which can be observed. Leading physicists of today are even talking about the birth of an entirely new way of looking at the universe, as recent discoveries dealing with the quantifications of particle physics have revealed patterns that actually transcend quantum physics itself. The very will of the Force manifests itself in the wonder of science. The Force surrounds life, makes it grow, permeates itself in all living creatures. Which is why Jedi have a spirit of respect and awe for the mysteries of life. That is the very essence of Jediism, is it not?

Btw, here is a link to what I'm talking about in physics. Pretty crazy stuff.
http://discovermagazine.com/2014/jan-feb/10-shaping-the-future-of-physics

As for the difference between "life" and "living", I would ask this: is life for a Jedi truly worth living if not giving of yourself for the good of others?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168920 by
Wonderfully challenging question.

Basically, I will write no.

There are different beliefs as to when the "soul" enters the body or to when the being awakens to it self.

Mornons (if I have this correct) say a being is not "human" until its 8th birthday. At that point, it can make choices for itself and it is self actualized.

Some say its a few weeks before birth and others say its one of the trimesters.

Life is life and I respect life in all forms. the cells of the zygot are alive. and it is a living thing but I feel that it is not a self aware being until its born.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169032 by

Do you or anyone else have the right to make that decision instead of her?

Nope

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169079 by
I personally believe that when the egg stops dividing and becomes a fetus that's the point I belive it is human life

More
9 years 5 months ago #169279 by Br. John
By Damon Linker

http://theweek.com/article/index/271704/finding-the-moral-sensible-middle-ground-on-abortion Finding the moral, sensible middle ground on abortion. Our liberal system of government demands that we find a compromise between two competing visions of the moral good.

Did you know that in the contemporary United States a woman who has a miscarriage after falling down a flight of stairs can be arrested for "attempted fetal homicide"?

Or that a judge can order a critically ill pregnant woman to undergo a cesarean section even though he knows it might kill her? (In at least one case, the woman and baby both ended up dead.)

Or that a pregnant woman who loses the pregnancy in the process of trying (and failing) to kill herself can be charged with the crime of "homicide by child abuse"?

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169330 by
BJ

Were not talking about an egg now are we?

Is it right for a majority or a vocal minority to assert they are correct to take away the freedom of choice from someone they disagree with?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi