Is A Fertilized Human Egg A Person?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167643 by
All I can speak of is how I felt when posed this question in a possibly non-hypothetical situation.

My girlfriend was late and getting very nervous about it. While driving between home, the store, back home and while waiting for the test to be ready we discussed our options. She was still in school and neither of us were making good money yet. She was set to terminate if she was pregnant. I told her that I'd support her and love her no matter what, but in that moment I knew that if that happened I would view it as having killed my child. This child I had never met, never seen even in a sonogram, or felt or heard or percieved in any way. According to quantum physics it might not even exist. But she wanted to murder it. It hurt me to think about it, it still does.

Luckily she wasn't pregnant so we didn't have to find out how we as a couple would deal with this difference of perspective, but that's when I knew where I stood. I still firmly believe that at that point it was her choice and that I would do my best to not hold it against her. She has that right, in my opinion. But if the choice were mine, it wouldn't be a choice. Life, every time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167646 by rugadd

Br. John wrote: I only asked the first part of the question I had in mind. Here's the rest.

At what point (or under what conditions), if any, should a woman be forced to continue a pregnancy against her will?

She should not. Her choice. Period.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

More
9 years 5 months ago #167647 by Amaya
No woman should be forced to continue a pregnancy.. But I'd have to add if it was in later stages and the baby could survive then all effort should be made to keep the baby alive.
It's kind of tricky cause I'd say no one should be forced to carry a child, but they also shouldn't allow it to 'die' if it is delivered in late stage..
Hate this question cause I have emotional and logical answer and no middle ground

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167652 by

Br. John wrote: I only asked the first part of the question I had in mind. Here's the rest.

At what point (or under what conditions), if any, should a woman be forced to continue a pregnancy against her will?

I knew this was comming. :) ;) forced? NEVER.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167674 by Edan
Unfortunately, the strict abortion laws in some countries (hmmm Republic of Ireland) means that women are, effectively, being forced to go through with a pregnancy they do not want (even if it is a product of rape).

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167701 by

Rickie The Grey wrote:

I knew this was comming. :) ;) forced? NEVER.

Me three, Never...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167703 by
She should be forced to have the pregnancy if she willingly got pregnant.

If she doesn't want the result of her decision then give the child up for adoption.

(Preparing force shield for the blasts to come, haha)

ETA: no late term abortions. If the baby can survive outside the womb, then aborting it at that phase in its development is nothing short of murder in my eyes. ANY Jedi that's ok with late term abortion shouldn't have the right to call themselves a Jedi.

(Reinforcing Force Shield)
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167716 by Br. John
Who decides if she willingly got pregnant? What is the burden of proof? Who has the burden of proof? How would they know?

Edit to add: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/late-term-abortion-29-weeks-dana-weinstein

I understand her reasons for getting a late term abortion at 29 weeks. This was an intentional and welcome pregnancy for the couple. Should she have been forced to go full term?

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167718 by
If she says she did.

If she lies, then she lies and gets the abortion anyway.

But i don't think ANY mother should be allowed a late term abortion. If she gets an abortion earlier in the pregnancy when the fetus is barely developed and couldn't survive outside the womb anyway, then let her have her way if it wasn't a willing pregnancy.

For me, and it should be for any Jedi that makes an oath at this Temple, the line needs to be drawn at whenever a fetus can survive outside the womb. If the fetus can survive outside the womb and we're okay with aborting it, then we're okay with murder for it's nothing less.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #167719 by

Br. John wrote:
Edit to add: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/late-term-abortion-29-weeks-dana-weinstein

I understand her reasons for getting a late term abortion at 29 weeks. This was an intentional and welcome pregnancy for the couple. Should she have been forced to go full term?

Yes. Unequivocally.

Carry it and give it up for adoption if they don't want the baby with a deformed brain.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi